The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Polarity by Pablo Amira (52 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10475 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Making your own is an easy affair. Did that years ago after buying the original from Guy Camirand.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7511 Posts

Profile of pegasus
You can only purchase the original from here.

http://www.camirandmagic.com/rt_025.html
PWRIS
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of PWRIS
I just wish that the magic community was as passionate about stopping piracy and exposure on YouTube Etc. as it is on knocking magicians that are trying to enhance our trade. I do understand the points that are being made. However, if we put as much passion into stopping exposure we would all benefit. Just my thoughts.
Paul W. Randall
"Englishman in Germany"
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7511 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Please explain how to prevent exposure on YouTube? I'm all ears.
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
857 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
Quote:
On May 31, 2016, pegasus wrote:
You can only purchase the original from here.

http://www.camirandmagic.com/rt_025.html

Although the Camirand web store is archived, it's dead.

See the note from Camirand here:
http://www.camirandmagic.com
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
857 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
Quote:
On May 31, 2016, PWRIS wrote:
I just wish that the magic community was as passionate about stopping piracy and exposure on YouTube Etc. as it is on knocking magicians that are trying to enhance our trade.

Exposure on Youtube by 14 year olds, and the concept of an established magician releasing another magicians effect without permission are concepts so dissimilar, they really can't be discussed in the same thread.

Your belief that magicians who release other magicians effects without permission somehow "enhances our trade" further makes rational discussion all but impossible.
PWRIS
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of PWRIS
Artie as I stated "just my thoughts" 😉
Paul W. Randall
"Englishman in Germany"
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10475 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On May 31, 2016, PWRIS wrote:
Artie as I stated "just my thoughts" 😉

Well it sure sounded impressive
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4187 Posts

Profile of videoman
I was visiting a magic buddy and he hands me a DVD case and says "here, I'll never use this why don't you take it?"
It's a product called Polarity, which I had never heard of. He said it's a card effect and uses a gaffed deck. From the name I thought maybe it was some kind of color change or perhaps a moving hole effect.
Well, it was neither of those. I watched the DVD and looked over the deck and I have to say that I was disappointed.

Not that it's a bad trick, it's okay. But IMO there are hundreds of stronger card effects and I certainly wouldn't carry around a gaffed deck just to do this single trick, which can be pretty much replicated with sleight of hand. BTW, I am not familiar with the Proton deck so can't compare it directly to that.

But like I said, it's an okay trick. It utilizes 2 standard methods that combine to create the effect and for the price they're asking it's really not too bad of a deal. But it's not so much the effect that disappointed me. It was the instructional video.

Reading over this thread Pablo congratulates Chris on doing an exceptional job on the video. Oh c'mon now, really????
OMG, it was horrible. I thought it was one of the worst videos I've seen produced by a major magic retailer and it appeared everyone involved really didn't care about it but just wanted to crank it out quickly. I'm not referring to problems with the picture or audio quality, those were fine, it was the actual explanation that was very poorly done.

But I don't really blame Chris or Pablo. It looked to me like Chris may have been thrown into the project at the last minute. Murphy's may have handed him the deck and some notes and said "we're taping this tomorrow and you have to teach it so learn this trick quickly". That's how it came across to me anyway. Pablo is nowhere to be seen on the entire video, perhaps because of language issues but I don't know, so Chris attempted to convey Pablo's thoughts. I say attempted because I don't think he succeeded very well.
Pablo mentions in this thread about adding new "thematics". Well, I think that is a bit of stretch, I'd say it's a modified storyline and patter and I'm not really sure it's even all that new. But it's hard to tell for sure because Chris doesn't seem to fully understand what Pablo's version is other than it involves positive thinking. I doubt he's even seen it, he just seems to be reciting what was told to him.

Now the trick is fairly self-explanatory so a detailed video isn't really necessary for a moderately experienced magician, but that's not the point. It's the principle. I'm just tired of seeing these thrown together projects. Chris flashes many times, gets confused, has lots of verbal gaffs...all the tell-tale signs of someone who really doesn't perform the trick or have a thorough familiarity with it. But regardless, it would have been a simple matter to edit these things out, or spend 60 seconds reshooting a couple things.

There is a bonus idea which is a new (maybe?) version of an old method. But could that explanation have possibly been done any worse or made to sound any more complicated? I don't think so. It looked exactly as it would if you quickly taught it to someone and then asked THEM to immediately record a video explanation of it, which seems to be what happened because Chris really didn't seem to understand it and you could almost see his relief every time he turned over a card and it was the correct one. He also attempted to explain a subtlety that Pablo apparently suggests as a transition from the bonus effect into Polarity but he obviously missed the point of it and I'm almost certain he explained it incorrectly because he didn't seem to understand what Pablo was trying to do with it. If not, then it simply didn't make sense.

Plus, the bonus material doesn't really tie in with the polarity effect. The bonus is more of a method than an effect and they don't bother giving you many ideas of how to use it, just naming a card a spectator cuts to and then following with Polarity. Again, had all the appearances of something tagged on to try and add some value. Not a "killer 2 phase routine" in my book.

But here's the worse blunder of all IMO. I mentioned this trick uses 2 methods. Chris explains one of the methods (which is extremely simple) but he explains it ad nauseum. I mean he goes on and on about it. But the second (more complicated) method he doesn't explain at all. He says quickly "the faces of the deck are XXX" (I don't want to expose anything so I'm not mentioning it by name) but never says what that is, what it does, how it's used, nothing, nada. If fact, he never mentions it again.
That should never have gotten past the editor. But again, speed rather than quality seemed to be the priority with this project. And again, most magicians will understand it, but if you're a beginner you would be totally confused.

So, an okay trick with nothing really new added that I could see, along with a seemingly thrown together video. But of course this is only my opinion. Others may think it's the greatest thing ever.
lord_wallmotto
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of lord_wallmotto
Why would you carry a fully gimmicked deck for this effect? I do like the effect, but there are lots of ways to accomplish the same effect with a regular deck of cards.
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5110 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2016, lord_wallmotto wrote:
Why would you carry a fully gimmicked deck for this effect? I do like the effect, but there are lots of ways to accomplish the same effect with a regular deck of cards.

Hi lord_wallmotto

That argument can be applied to any effect really when there is a gimmicked version. I use this and also ungimmicked impromptu handlings. All depends in the goals that you want to achieve.
Sometimes I want to do a completely hands off handling and I use Polarity, other times I use other approaches. It is always to know options and develop a proper criteria to select your options depending your context.

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Amira rocks!! Smile
drstevemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Addicted to For Sale Forum so only have
249 Posts

Profile of drstevemagic
My gosh! Reading this thread has been exhausting! However, thoroughly convinced not to order this and put the same energy and time it took to read this into finding the Proton deck that I have buried somewhere in my magic cave.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21989 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
World Magic Reviewed this today. Take a look.

Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
billion
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of billion
Interesting review, thanks for posting.

Billion
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5110 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Sorry guys, but I don't have much time to answer so much questions about it. My closed answer to Artie´s question is : "Yes"

If you want to get the original "Proton Deck", do it. It is a great Ed Marlo´s idea and for sure Camirand´s product will be quality for your money.
If you want to support Murphy´s and our efforts to bring this to different levels, buy Polarity in your favorite magic dealer.

Again, I don't have too much time to talk now in this forums but I will be happily discuss with the interested one privately.

All the best!
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Cool trick. I hadn't heard of the Proton deck before. So I'd like to thank Pablo Amira for reintroducing it. There's a value in revisiting good material, even classic material. I hear Dan Harlan is doing Tarbell.
la-do
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of la-do
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
World Magic Reviewed this today. Take a look.

I have to agree, I'd prefer to use an invisible deck.
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2612 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Brutal thread. I guess I won't put out my version of the kaleidoscope deck.

No one would do that, right?
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
964 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
An excellent post PWRIS.
You really have to chuckle at some of the self-righteous posters on this and other threads who can't wait to wade in with their thoughts and ideas of what other people could / should / would have done if it was them. Most of them have never produced or sold a magic trick or effect in their life and probably never will. I would hazard a guess that most of the 'know it all's - who know nothing' have never performed magic even at a semi professional level but are most forthcoming in telling other people what and where they have gone wrong.

From what I can see Amira has never claimed to invented the effect. He has credited previous work, he has attempted to answer every question thrown at him in an open, transparent, honest and fair way and and he has not dodged the issue or ran for hills which is more than can be said for a lot off other people who sell magic effects when the heat comes on.

As for 'Magicians Helping Magicians' - don't make me laugh!
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Polarity by Pablo Amira (52 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL