The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Quarterly Report by Rick Lax (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Karl M
I think hes getting greedy now, I also wondered why all of the reveiws on penguin are on 13th may and not after? was it all seeded for launch?
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4133 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
It was just reduced to $9.95 on Penguin. Tada.
Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10261 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Lmao. You should of waited Karl.
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Doesn 't matter Pegasus mate it wasn't my money it was payed for by my community centre who support creative arts projects and stuff so they payed for it when I asked for it, So I'm lauhging now mate haha lmao
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Quote:
On May 13, 2016, Karl M wrote:
It ususaly goes down in proice to 9.95 after a day or something so ill wait for that

I totaly predicted it so reckon I could go into mentlism easy Smile mwahahahahah
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2585 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Penguin reduced the price and sent me a $5 credit... Good and fair guys. That seems like a great price point for this effect.
Ray Pierce
charlies_hat
View Profile
Regular user
Norwich, UK
108 Posts

Profile of charlies_hat
Would this work alongside Tequila Hustler ?
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Quote:
On May 16, 2016, charlies_hat wrote:
Would this work alongside Tequila Hustler ?

50% of the time it would, yes Smile being cryptic there on purpose to avoid any exposhure, only half the time could you carry on with another routine mate
jljones83
View Profile
New user
LA, CA
82 Posts

Profile of jljones83
About the price change, Penguin usually lists tricks at the full price for a few days, but if it goes on sale as an introductory offer, they usually send you a gift code for the difference. It's happened to me a few times, and I never even had to ask for the gift code.
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
577 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Well - I bit on the sale price and picked this up.

It's EXACTLY what I anticipated it would be...and I'll be honest that I'm (mildly) disappointed that the scripting wasn't a bit more clever.

It'll get the job done as it's taught, but I guess I was hoping for a new subtlety or interesting wrinkle in the presentation. It's a nice little bit of business though if you don't already have a similar piece in your repertoire.

Not all is lost for me though as it's inspired a handling for "Tequila Hustler" that I hadn't really considered before--so yes, to answer a previously asked question, depending on how you routine/present "Quarterly Report" IMHO it can play along side of "Tequila Hustler". The routine I have in mind is sort of a hybrid between the two.

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Please consider subscribing to my newsletter: http://eepurl.com/hmdnUX

ELEMENTARY: Now Available!
ALL PROJECTS AVAILABLE AT: www.mindofandrews.com/colleagues
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On May 16, 2016, Karl M wrote:
Quote:
On May 16, 2016, pegasus wrote:

Just got refunded 5 dollars so I can spend it how I want hahahahah, in it to win it mate

How about you return it to the community centre that you scrounged it from in the first place lol
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Karl M
I can't return it because as I said its a credit note
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1322 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Not even worth $10. It's in one your many mentalist books that is on your shelf right now (the principal at the very least).
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10261 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On May 16, 2016, Sean Giles wrote:
Quote:
On May 16, 2016, Karl M wrote:
Quote:
On May 16, 2016, pegasus wrote:

Just got refunded 5 dollars so I can spend it how I want hahahahah, in it to win it mate

How about you return it to the community centre that you scrounged it from in the first place lol

Agreed Sean. Surely there's better way to spend their money. So are you fed up with all the rubbish you purchased from Blackpool already Karl? Lmao.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2740 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
In fairness when Rick sends out the review copies he usually encourages people to say they got a free review copy in their reviews. Nonetheless I do think it skews to positive review for a few reasons.
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
577 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
I just posted a thorough 2 star review on Penguin. In a few days you should see it titled "This 'Jedi' went home to rethink his purchase."

I said in the review and I'll say it again here - this does provide some solid thinking on this plot and the classic method in play but IMHO it isn't "fresh" enough to warrant a single effect release for a $15 (or $10 on sale) price tag. If you been around the proverbial block for a while this likely won't provide you with anything new...

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
577 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
And regarding the handling of Tequila Hustler that I mentioned Quarterly Report "inspired" in my earlier post - it isn't really even remotely close to Rick's handling or routine. It was created out of my disappointment/frustration with Quarterly Report.

All complaints aside - Penguin's customer service has been exceptional and they've resolved my issues.

Best,

Drew

magic maniac
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
Quote:
On May 16, 2016, DrewBstoss wrote:
Well - I bit on the sale price and picked this up.

It's EXACTLY what I anticipated it would be...and I'll be honest that I'm (mildly) disappointed that the scripting wasn't a bit more clever.

It'll get the job done as it's taught, but I guess I was hoping for a new subtlety or interesting wrinkle in the presentation. It's a nice little bit of business though if you don't already have a similar piece in your repertoire.

Not all is lost for me though as it's inspired a handling for "Tequila Hustler" that I hadn't really considered before--so yes, to answer a previously asked question, depending on how you routine/present "Quarterly Report" IMHO it can play along side of "Tequila Hustler". The routine I have in mind is sort of a hybrid between the two.

Best,

Drew

This was my thoughts exactly. I had a pretty good idea on how this was done and I was right. I was really interested to see how Rick would handle the one bit of business and what presentation tidbits he would offer. Unfortunately, nothing special in regards to the routining and the effect has the potential to be weak in comparison to other effects that employ similar methodolgy.

I've been super happy with my last couple of purchases with Rick's material but this one is a miss for me.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4133 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I think it is a good, solid impromptu effect. You can use this as a lead in to other routines using the more expensive electronic techniques. Well worth the $9.95.
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3177 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Thanks, Good to know you don't have to use a quarter !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Quarterly Report by Rick Lax (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL