The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking Ireland, Scotland & England (permissions and general tips) (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Profile of Dimitri Mystery Artist
Hello everyone,

I was thinking about doing a busking tour in UK this JULY and was wondering about few things.

*How do you get a busking permit and how long does it take to get it?

*If you have experience performing in those countries I would be happy to get your recommendations about good spots/cities where to perform.
(i was thinking about Dublin, Edinburgh, Liverpool and maybe North Ireland).

Thanks a lot
Dimitri
Stu Montgomery
View Profile
Veteran user
St Petersburg FL
354 Posts

Profile of Stu Montgomery
If you end up in the city of Glasgow, beware of poorly educated, officious "officers" (they aren't "officers" by any definition) dressed almost exactly like Scottish Police Officers, trying to move you on, obtain your particulars etc. These people are no more than city litter wardens (can ONLY issue Fixed Penalty Notices for dropping litter & dogs dropping whatever a dog drops!). They're identifiable by the Lone Star tin cap badge (really is...shiny cheap nasty thing!), and the cap band being a dirty yellow & black check rather than the real police white & black. They will also have "Community Safety" on the rear of their body armour.
They have NO POWERS WHATSOEVER to obtain your details, or ask you to move on...although I hear that the local council are using (abusing) them for this purpose! They're dressed like cops for a reason...and that's to intimidate & present an "official" uniformed presence on Glasgow streets...you might say a con by pretending to the general public that these untrained, poorly educated "wannabe" cops are keeping the city safe!
The ONLY people who can request you "move on" are genuine, trained, "real" police officers...who will have "Police" clearly displayed on their uniform - NOT some City Council litter/dog poo warden!
"Round about what is, lies a whole mysterious world of might be" Longfellow.
Stu Montgomery
View Profile
Veteran user
St Petersburg FL
354 Posts

Https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=7896&p=0

Glasgow City's guide for street performers. Smile Disregard the mention of "Strathclyde Police." Strathclyde Police no longer exist...Scotland now has only one police force known as "Police Scotland" (I know...bit of a stupid title!!).
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
"Police Scotland" .

Ooooh - how MODERN!
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Thanks for comment!

i read the artical, it says that is not allowed to ask for contributions, is it true?
It does not have any sense

By the way, do I need a busking permit for busking in Scotland?
Thanks
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Greetings Dimitri!
(congradulations on Ukraine's victory in Euro Song,....😊)
This probably won't help much,..
but I just read it(!),..
kinda fits.

I'm laying in bed with a bag of potatoe chips and a skin-warm fanta.
'Pfingst Monday'.
{,...we're going out later..}
AND,
and,.
a good book(!).
I found a J.P. Lovecraft book,
..IN ENGLISH(!),
..saturday in a flea market.
"The Dream-Quest of the Unknown Kadath" (1924)

"At length, sick with longing for those glittering sunset streets and cryptical hill lanes among ancient tiled roofs, nor able sleeping or waking to drive them from his mind, Carter resolved to go with bold entreaty whither no man had gone before, and dare the icy deserts through the dark to where unknown Kadath, veiled in cloud and crowned with unimagined stars, holds secret and nocturnal the onyx castle of the Great Ones."

Dimitri,..
."..go with bold entreaty,..
whither no man had gone before,
...and dare..."

{then,
maybe take the time and write us back about it!
I'd love to hear!}

have a good trip,
gallagher
bilbobaglin
View Profile
New user
UK
2 Posts

Profile of bilbobaglin
Cheshire county guide says the same about asking for money which is a shame because Chester is a great town for potential busking. I too would like clarification on this point from more experienced busking hands. Perhaps someone has some clever hatlines to get around this.
Chris Baglin
pp
Professor Llusern
Stu Montgomery
View Profile
Veteran user
St Petersburg FL
354 Posts

Quote:
On May 15, 2016, Dimitri Mystery Artist wrote:
Thanks for comment!

i read the artical, it says that is not allowed to ask for contributions, is it true?
It does not have any sense

By the way, do I need a busking permit for busking in Scotland?
Thanks

No Permit or Licence required...but no asking for contributions either which could be seen as begging. However, there's nothing stopping you placing a container (hat etc) on the ground near you for voluntary contributions/tips from appreciative passers-by Smile
tom hughes
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of tom hughes
I busked in Chester many years ago. The only rule I remember being enforced was the "no shows at the cross" rule (and that's pretty fair since it's used by the Town Crier, roman Soldiers and other historical yeomanry). I doubt a hat line after a strong show would cause any problems.
http://www.ashevillemagic.com
http://www.themagictomshow.com
magician/magic show in asheville w.n.c.
mike bonfield
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of mike bonfield
Ok most towns are ok London you do need permits on southbank and Camden Covent Garden is a hit off miss on permits I would stay clear of Glasgow a tuff city keep to Cambridge, bath ,and the south coast Brighton ,,Edinburgh festival will be crazy and a nightmere there and big money for hotels call me if you arrive in u.K on 07973512845
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Thank you all for the information!
I appreciate it
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
It's interesting to see how busking works around the world
migwar
View Profile
Elite user
west yorkshire, UK
457 Posts

Profile of migwar
Lincoln has no permits, Just no blocking footways. Decent tourist place in the summer too.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On May 16, 2016, bilbobaglin wrote:
Cheshire county guide says the same about asking for money which is a shame because Chester is a great town for potential busking. I too would like clarification on this point from more experienced busking hands. Perhaps someone has some clever hatlines to get around this.

Same thing as here in RI, "no direct solicitation of funds," I work it into my line; "My agree with the city is that I can perform so long as I make no direct solicitation for funds. And I won't. I won't tell you you have to give me money, that would be rude. And I won't beg you to please give me money, that would be pathetic. I simply point out that here in the city of Providence, tipping is not something done with cows!"

Now NEWPORT, as far as I understand it, will only allow busking if you don't ACCEPT any money whatsoever! The only way that can be legal is that they're counting on no busker having the time, money and cojones to challenge them on it!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking Ireland, Scotland & England (permissions and general tips) (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL