The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Levitation (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jcmagicman
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of jcmagicman
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
Yogano & Partner (search on YouTube)
It's created by themselves.
Performed for the first time at F.I.S.M. (many moons ago)
knownmagician
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of knownmagician
It's called JUNIOR and explained on his book "The Magic of Yogano" but still it is very difficult to build.

It is very mechanical. Hope this helps.
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On May 15, 2016, jcmagicman wrote:
What levitation is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxRFMJmumb0

This is a performance of that Yogano levitation by Jonathan and Charlotte Pendragon on the UKs "Best of Magic" series 1989:

Some interesting history about this: Jonathan originally approached Yogano Senior to get his permission to perform the levitation. Yogano initially turned him down. Then David Copperfield did the same, and Yogano turned him down too. Later, Charlotte approached Yogano, and using her feminine wiles, managed to finally persuade him to agree.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2437 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Jonathan always sought a 360 levitation. I've seen many levitations that pivot in some way but they always tend to "point" to and define the support for me. The whole purpose of the g**s*n*ck is to visually distance the support from the thing or person being levitated. As soon as you do any rotation, you simply direct the audiences attention to the actual support. There is a bed levitation that is mechanically brilliant in its method but as soon as the girl rotates, you know exactly where she is being supported from. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you always should.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
funnymagic
View Profile
Regular user
The funny farm
144 Posts

Profile of funnymagic
Anyone know who makes this levi? 10 minutes in : https://youtu.be/WZIw7IvSJgo
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
Gentleman, my opinion is that the Yogano jr. levitation is different in modus operandi from this levitation of the Pendragons.
This can't be the place to tell exactly how they both work, but note that the the illusion of Yogano j.r. is on a clear (plexiglass) table.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
TALLY - I saw Yogano do that levi live and it was fantastic.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2222 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
When I was in Belgium during the 80s, he used to sell that for US$12000.00. You and your assistant needed to be measured by him personally. Also saw it thrice performed by his son. I was dying to have this but I could not afford it before. He also used to sell a suspension version of this.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
Quote:
On May 15, 2016, john wills wrote:
Gentleman, my opinion is that the Yogano jr. levitation is different in modus operandi from this levitation of the Pendragons.
This can't be the place to tell exactly how they both work, but note that the the illusion of Yogano j.r. is on a clear (plexiglass) table.

John, you're completely right. Both versions (Yogano / Pendragons) are completely different in terms of method. Perhaps for an untrained eye they seem to work the same, but I can assure not.
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
Quote:
On May 15, 2016, funnymagic wrote:
Anyone know who makes this levi? 10 minutes in : https://youtu.be/WZIw7IvSJgo

It looks like an "Spontus levitation" You can search more info in this forum, it has been mentioned several times here. The official web is http://www.spontus360.com/
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
Funnymagic,
Sorry, I almost forgot to answer your question.The levitation in your link is the Spontus (from France).

Sorcerer,
Of course both levitations (Yogano's and Pendragons) are totally different. I know the inner workings of both of them, that's why I knew the right answer.
Thanks for your support, the different answers dwelled the wrong way.
Jonathan Pendragon
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Pendragon
EXCUSE ME! You have got to be kidding me. I created the 360 levitation which was built by John Gaughan and performed by me on the 1986 Disney Special three years before The Best of Magic. it was built by John in 1985. I never asked anybody's permission for MY method! I did ask Mark Wilson for permission to present it as a "platform levitation" which had already been taken by other illusionist, he was grateful that I was the first person to actually ask and gave me permission. Platform levitations were created to avoid "going through the floor." I also talked to Barclay Shaw who had done a 360 levi years earlier. His method involved a cape and rotating with the girl. His breakthrough was the glass box which David Copperfield got permission for in his jungle levitation piece. David also used my 360 methodology and has acknowledge my innovation. Barclay upon seeing my levi on TV said, "Wow I wish I had thought of that" to which I replied, "I wish I had thought of the glass box." I never even talked to Yogano, and I certainly never asked for his permission for anything. His 360 levitation's didn't appear until after mine. This said Yogano's levitation work with methodology I won't discuss in the open is brilliant. In 2007-8, in Spain, Yogano's son gave a one of his father's levitation as a present for my influence on the effect! Please do more research and get your facts straight or stay off the forum. And Ray, you should know better because you were around when all this went down back in the 80s. Do you have any idea how difficult my flying hoop pass is? Here is a hint, no one has ever recreated it. I designed the movement and the hoop to accomplish this like I designed the hoop and the articulate arm for my version of Jim's Pole Suspension which just appeared on the CW's Masters of Illusion. Tally, your comments are BS and border on defamation. Regardless of the problems that brought our marriage to an end, she never used her "wiles" to get permission for anything. Your comment is offensive.

Yogano's levitation on the glass table is brilliant and I told him so at FISM ( Switzerland 1991), and at the time no 360 movement was involved.
Jonathan Pendragon
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

I just watched the video posted which is what I saw at FISM in 1991 and complimented Yogano for the innovation. That is not remotely a 360 degree movement, it's closer to a 45 degree movement in the X and Y axis with no Z axis movement whatsoever. Yogano, later sold a levi that I did influence which had a Z axis turn as I have already mentioned and I am cool with that.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2437 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On May 22, 2016, Jonathan Pendragon wrote:
And Ray, you should know better because you were around when all this went down back in the 80s. Do you have any idea how difficult my flying hoop pass is? Here is a hint, no one has ever recreated it. I designed the movement and the hoop to accomplish this like I designed the hoop and the articulate arm for my version of Jim's Pole Suspension which just appeared on the CW's Masters of Illusion.

I remember it well. I didn't get into the history as I knew your tireless work on it. I agree the hoop pass is very clever and I can see why it was so difficult to do. I also think your articulated arm on the pole suspension showed a huge improvement as it brought the person forward and served to distance the effect from the method. I also wish you could have been in the edit room when they chose the shots of it for MOI but we know how that goes. My point on any 360 was that everyone I have ever seen, no matter how clever, always pivots around the hidden lift point and thus subliminally directs the spectator's attention to where it must be supported. It seems to do the opposite of what your Pole Suspension improvement does. I'll also admit that this isn't something I probably would have anticipated until I saw it performed. I also referenced Craig's bed levitation with the same issue. The gaff was incredibly clever and fooled everyone until she rotated, then it pointed to the method.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On May 22, 2016, Jonathan Pendragon wrote:
EXCUSE ME! You have got to be kidding me. I created the 360 levitation which was built by John Gaughan and performed by me on the 1986 Disney Special three years before The Best of Magic. it was built by John in 1985. I never asked anybody's permission for MY method! I did ask Mark Wilson for permission to present it as a "platform levitation" which had already been taken by other illusionist, he was grateful that I was the first person to actually ask and gave me permission. Platform levitations were created to avoid "going through the floor." I also talked to Barclay Shaw who had done a 360 levi years earlier. His method involved a cape and rotating with the girl. His breakthrough was the glass box which David Copperfield got permission for in his jungle levitation piece. David also used my 360 methodology and has acknowledge my innovation. Barclay upon seeing my levi on TV said, "Wow I wish I had thought of that" to which I replied, "I wish I had thought of the glass box." I never even talked to Yogano, and I certainly never asked for his permission for anything. His 360 levitation's didn't appear until after mine. This said Yogano's levitation work with methodology I won't discuss in the open is brilliant. In 2007-8, in Spain, Yogano's son gave a one of his father's levitation as a present for my influence on the effect! Please do more research and get your facts straight or stay off the forum. And Ray, you should know better because you were around when all this went down back in the 80s. Do you have any idea how difficult my flying hoop pass is? Here is a hint, no one has ever recreated it. I designed the movement and the hoop to accomplish this like I designed the hoop and the articulate arm for my version of Jim's Pole Suspension which just appeared on the CW's Masters of Illusion. Tally, your comments are BS and border on deformation. Regardless of the problems that brought our marriage to an end, she never used her "wiles" to get permission for anything. Your comment is offensive.

Yogano's levitation on the glass table is brilliant and I told him so at FISM ( Switzerland 1991), and at the time no 360 movement was involved.

No offence was meant. I am/was merely repeating what I had read on the internet. If that is wrong, then I apologise for repeating something which is false. But, as they say, don't shoot the messenger.
Jonathan Pendragon
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

FA correction on the angle of the XY axis turn. it was a 90 degree turn. I'm tired after a long 3 weeks with 4 scholars from Scientific America. We watched experiments at CERN, involving the LHC,. Then we ran around Olympia we said scholars photoing he runs in HD. Next the Acropolis and more HD work. Finally the spectacular city of Istanbul, where we dropped nearly 90 ft. below the surface of the city to explore the Roman cisterns and photographed as well in high -def. I lectured a little on astronomy and the history of ancient magic.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7378 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Jonathan,
Good to hear you are keeping busy. Sounds like a grand adventure.
For historical purposes, I am sure that you are familiar with Bill Serios (Texas) rotating levitation. Without tipping anything, what do you feel are the improvements you made to the rotation aspect. Serios advertised his in the 1960's in the linking ring.
Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
Quote:
On May 22, 2016, Tally_NSA wrote:
No offence was meant. I am/was merely repeating what I had read on the internet. If that is wrong, then I apologise for repeating something which is false. But, as they say, don't shoot the messenger.

Tally, I had never heard that rumour. Where did you read that?
Jonathan Pendragon
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

I'm back home and I have one more correction. David used the Glass Box in the Flying Illusion, not the Jungle Piece, but he did use my work on the 360 as well as the water Levitation for a very spectacular presentation that I admired.

"Why can't the English teach their children how to speak." "If" and let's set the rules down immediately, you imply and I infer. I infer from "If" that you doubt my story, even though you weren't there and you got your information from an internet source you have yet to reveal, while I have cited Jim Steinmeyer, John Gaughan and David Copperfield as gentlemen who could collaborate my story. You may infer that I taking you task, I am not. You used my video from The Best of Magic as a visual aid to discredit me and libel my ex wife because of something you read on the internet. You may not have meant to do it, regardless, the effect is the same. And (which is not improper usage of "and" unless you over do it, your rules not mine), and here is where it hurts: I am granted a fee for my intellectual property which your comments have put in doubt, N'est-ce Pas?

You may infer that I am being overly dramatic in my approach (like I have never been accused of that before ;-). I am not. Ray, what was the point of pointing out something you acknowledge that we both recognized? Who exactly were you educating and about what? Why did you draw attention to something others might not have noticed until you drew attention to it? I could draw attention to the fact that both my step-daughters perform in the circus arts professionally as well as teach, and I, who will be 63 in July, can still do a double back, as well as a back layout with a double twist, fliffus in and out, and most dangerous of all, a front two and three quarters on the trampoline (the last one going to a crash pad, a stunt which killed a friend of mine in college). Why? Who am I educating and about what?

Ray, I wasn't always searching for a 360 degree levitation, I was searching for a 180 degree levitation as a method to produce the effect I call "Infinity", the suspension vanish I presented on Champions of Magic and the UK's Magic Comedy Strip. My 360 came out of the development of that illusion.

Words have power. They can enlighten or inflict harm. Be careful how use them because their misuse can do damage that can not be undone. This forum is a tempest in tea pot at times and it could be better if it's members chose their words and subjects more carefully. If you want to be a better magician broaden your scope of influences beyond what you find here. Don't try to impress others on paper, but rather in performance. I am not angry, I am frustrated. As an art we keep shooting ourselves in the foot, probably not the best metaphor I could have used. I have no time for anger, it destroys you from the inside out, in gets in the way of creativity. Ego has no place in art other than to drive the desire to become self aware, to constantly push yourself to be better. Tally and Ray, I bear you no ill will for selfish reasons, it does me no service, no good, and I can't become better by feeling so. I protect what is mine and I have been very generous in what I have given others (shameless plug - check out my Penguin Lecture, it's 29 bucks and I swear, it's worth every penny, ask Dan Harlan, a man I once disliked and then through mutual tragedy came to understand. Now we are good friends and that friendship has inspired and benefitted both of us). I apologize it seems like I am lecturing here, but I am an old fart and that's what we do. Now I going back to Genii, I have column to write (second shameless plug). I won't comment again on this thread, but if you have suggestions for a subject you would like me to write about (and no sarcasm, please) leave them here and I will read them, one can always benefit from inspiration. JP
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Levitation (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL