The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Peruvian Pipsissewah: Lota Vase presentation (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ProfessorMagicJMG
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of ProfessorMagicJMG
It's ironic that I am a professional web video producer by occupation but don't have any good performance videos of myself yet. This adventure show concept is still very new and formative for me, and it's literally all still in development. Sorry to overlook your question.

By the way, I just bought The Complete Oracle at Lybrary.com and I have to say, it's really incredible and the best value for a Storytelling magician bar none. It's a great source for routines, prop making, etc. I had been looking for a book on the Buddha Papers by Brother Shadow and just found two of his routines in the Oracle.

I also just ran across another inspiration for a Lota Vase routine: a Chinese diety often pictured with a vase containing the Waters of Compassion and standing on a giant Lotus flower. Images can be found at MuseumStore.com

Finally, just found out you can purchase artificial Alstromeria flowers, the actual Peruvian mountain lily, from online artificial flower shops. Going to order some and see how they look.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Clarke's 3rd Law

"Any sufficiently primitive technology can mystify a postmodern audience." - JMG's Corollary to Clarke's 3rd Law
ProfessorMagicJMG
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of ProfessorMagicJMG
If you want to do a "Peruvian Pipsissewah" sort of routine with a Lota Vase and some variety of fake flowers, I recommend you get a Lota that is large enough and heavy enough so the flowers won't tip it over. Pottery works well for this and is more deceptive than metal in my opinion although by using flowers you are taking the heat off the vase or pot a bit. I like the look of artificial orchids even though they are tropical. The main thing is, the flowers MUST look realistic even from a few feet away or it spoils the effect. And, pay attention to the stem; it should be wire sheathed in plastic or rubber to make it look realistic, not just a thin wire.

You are going to be pulling the "cut" flower out of the vase periodically. You might want to have a paper towel handy to catch water drops from the stem. Also, if you buy an artificial flower, chances are you will have to cut the stem. Use diagonal or side-cut wire cutters, and make the cut on a DIAGONAL, just like you would cut fresh flowers under running water. The flowers should be proportional to the vase. Many artificial flowers are designed for larger vases, so it's better to shop at a big craft store or artificial flower store WITH your Lota to see if the flower looks "too big" for the container. Visually, you want a flower that is LESS THAN twice as high or twice as big as the vase, and again you'll probably need wire cutters to make it look right.

Here's a trick for getting the most realistic fake flowers possible: I just ran across a newer type of artificial flower that uses latex for the petals and are variously branded as Real Touch, True Touch, Natural Touch, and I think Floramtique. Here's a link to see what you can get:
http://www.flowers-by-design.com/real-touch-flowers/

If you want to get an ACTUAL artificial Peruvian mountain flower, they are called "Alstromeria" and here's an example of what you can find:
http://www.theartificialflowershop.co.uk......ria.html
Alstromeria is also called the "Lily of the Incas."
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Clarke's 3rd Law

"Any sufficiently primitive technology can mystify a postmodern audience." - JMG's Corollary to Clarke's 3rd Law
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Peruvian Pipsissewah: Lota Vase presentation (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL