The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 10 Magic Tricks That Went Horribly Wrong. (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4899 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Magiccafe.com got the credits for numbers 9 and 5. Just a weird (but recent) video I found while surfing some Youtube. I had heard of a couple but did not realize there were so many - and probably more.

Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Interesting information, and for that I'm glad you posted it, but I didn't care for the video at all. It seemed to make a joke out of every tragedy, interspersing each story with comic stock photos, photos of performers who had nothing to do with the stories, and supposedly funny commentary.
Sardonicus
View Profile
New user
The Left Coast, USA
50 Posts

Profile of Sardonicus
They're all terrible, but the Joe Burrus tragedy...that one just sticks with me. The whole story is wrong on so many different levels.
"Books break the shackles of time. A book is proof that humans are capable of working magic." Carl Sagan, Cosmos
jackaboy
View Profile
Veteran user
universities aren't interested in my
303 Posts

Profile of jackaboy
Disgusting video
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4899 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
As I stated, I found it weird also, yet interesting to a certain degree. I just did not know there were so many tragic deaths during actual performances. I also did not post it to offend or make light of any of the tragedies covered.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Don't understand the negativity here. Not a Cecil B. DeMille production for sure, but it recounts things that happened. You don't like the way it's told then re-write it and offer it up here. Magicians, or wannabe magicians are just as likely to win a Darwin Award as anyone else who does something stupid. Yikes, get over it. It's life. And for those of you who will argue the "stupid" factor, you, the performer are in total charge of your performance, props, management and assistants. You end up dead, you effed up.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On May 19, 2016, Bob1Dog wrote:
You don't like the way it's told then re-write it and offer it up here.

I haven't watched it yet, but if I don't like it, I don't like it. I'm not obliged to remake every film or video or rewrite every story or book or poem I don't like. What I don't like, I don't like.

Now I'm gonna click the link and see for myself whether I like it.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Finished it. It was cute. It was similar to a bunch of those "list" videos that my son has shown to me. Same style, same feel, nothing big or fancy or worth an Oscar. Just ten minutes of worthless entertainment. Move along, folks.

Here's more serious though: making fun of death is a common pastime for most human beings. It helps us avoid thinking death is real and final. Morbidity and silliness are both legitimate defense mechanisms to deal with the finality of death. I don't complain about Bizarre magicians playing around with skulls and blood and stuff; I also don't complain about those who find humor in death.

On another note: it's actually good for magic, because it shows that even the "tricks" can be dangerous. I remember yawning while watching Penn & Teller doing their bullet catch. I have always assumed that they have designed an absolutely foolproof method for fooling me. But...maybe they haven't....

Keep magic fun, boys and girls!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I'm sure Joe Burrus's family and friends thought it was just hilarious.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20193 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is just tough for me to laugh at another's misfortune. When that misfortune results in death it is impossible.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On May 19, 2016, mastermindreader wrote:
I'm sure Joe Burrus's family and friends thought it was just hilarious.

And they watched this video?

Bob, I understood your point, Please understand mine: people deal with death in their own way. We deal with death, Bob. We deal with death.

You are older, wiser, and more entertaining than me. But dealing with death has no rules. You know that. Death isn't funny. But if some choose to make it funny in order to deal with it, then let them.

Let the dead bury the dead.

Or: bring Todd Robbins in to stir things up a bit.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On May 19, 2016, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On May 19, 2016, Bob1Dog wrote:
You don't like the way it's told then re-write it and offer it up here.

I'm not obliged to remake every film or video or rewrite every story or book or poem I don't like. What I don't like, I don't like.

Now I'm gonna click the link and see for myself whether I like it.

Sorry Jeff, it wan't my intent to suggest that one is "obliged" to re-write something they don't like or agree with. But if one feels passionate enough about something, as some do here, then why not offer a correction, opinion or other explanation? If not that's fine, as you said, you like it or not.

My main point was to comment on the negativity this thread has received, and in my opinion, not rightly so. That's all.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I did exactly that earlier. I gave an opinion and an explanation. Has it occurred to you that several of the long-time professionals here knew some of the victims personally? I don't even want to be reminded of how I felt when I watched Joe Burrus get crushed to death on national TV.

And, of course you are going to see negative responses when a click-bait YouTube channel puts up a video that makes light of and mocks other people's tragic deaths. Remember that several of the events satirically presented took place relatively recently.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1672 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Seems like every year we get a teenage boy who drowns practicing an underwater escape and a magician or a stripper who gets strangled on stage by a boa or retic. They always say the audience thought it was part of the act.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
The internet and its anonymity has allowed a culture of schadenfreude to flourish.

And that undermines my fundamental optimism about the future of humanity.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
RIP to the fallen.

I opt to not watch the video out of respect for those who have passed.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1336 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On May 26, 2016, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
RIP to the fallen.

I opt to not watch the video out of respect for those who have passed.

I'm in total agreement! I also think it's kind of a 'bad culture' to watch accidents where people die or are seriously injured. A good antidote would be to watch the 'close call' videos where people escape death! Lynn
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1820 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
For what it's worth, I also chose not to watch this video.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
545 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Joe Burrus...I remember when it happened. I lived right around the corner from Blackbeard's Family Fun Center (where his gig was that night). My family was planning on being there but we ended up not going due to something that happened earlier that day. I was pretty young at the time, so it's probably best that I wasn't there. But to this day, I have that horrible news clip stuck in my head from the local news. I honestly can't believe they aired the video. It wouldn't surprise me today, but back then...
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2726 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
One other point that I don't think anyone's addressed. #10, the Great Lafayette. I don't think the fire was due to his show and so therefore it wasn't a "magic trick that went horribly wrong." The fact that, like many other performers, Lafayette had chosed to have the fire doors LOCKED to keep other magicians from coming backstage and learning his secrets was criminal. But not part of any particular trick.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 10 Magic Tricks That Went Horribly Wrong. (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL