The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Quentin Reynolds new DVD (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
I just had the absolute pleasure of watching Quentin Reynolds new DVD “Bring Back The Schtick.” First of all, I do not know Quentin. The only video I’ve ever seen of him performing was years ago when I purchased his video “5 Minutes With a Pocket Handkerchief” and I remember how impressed I was with his professionalism.

All I can say is if you are into entertaining children with magic, this DVD will not disappoint. Quentin is a real thinker and I loved watching this guy work. It becomes obvious right away that he thinks out every single facet of each routine to make it the best it can be. I can honestly say I have learned some new things from watching this DVD, especially the importance of “pauses” and Quentin is a master at this bit-of-business.

I’m not a linking rings guy. I sold my rings years ago and I get so bored watching a magician performing them. But I watched Quentin’s bonus feature of him performing the linking rings and was extremely impressed with his handling and use of a child volunteer on stage. I have to give him an A+ on his entertaining routine.

Disk #1 contains his entire show as well as VERY thorough explanations of each of the effects performed.

Disk #2 Now this is something different! Quentin brings to light many effects used by many magicians of the past who are virtually unknown. He actually displays these old props, giving credit to the original creators and shares their routines and insights into each of them. This was very interesting to watch as I have never seen ANY of these before. It’s nice to learn how other magicians from our recent past thought and performed.

I definitely give this DVD two thumbs up!

Tommy James
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
I couldn't find any info on this easily, so Tommy - you sent me on a treasure hunt! I found this description was on Ian Adair's Facebook page:

Ian Adair
April 29 at 2:49pm ·

BRING BACK THE SCHTICK..................
This is a brand new set of two DVD's presented by top professional children's entertainer QUENTIN REYNOLDS.
During the 1980's I had the great pleasure of selecting leading magicians (in their own fields of magic) for the Supreme Reveal Series of videos. One particular video featured Terry Herbert, whose presentation was greatly welcomed by children's entertainers worldwide. It was Supreme's best seller.

This new video of Quentin's is certainly way up there with Terry's.

IT'S NOT AVAILABLE YET. IT WILL BE RELEASED AND LAUNCHED AT THE FORTHCOMING TRIX IN THE STIX CONVENTION which is almost upon us.
This is not a video lasting 40 minutes or so - no - in fact its duration is 240 minutes. No padding. Packed with superb presentations and explanations - bits of business and comedy gags suitable for all age groups.
Quentin performs this in a nice, relaxed style. Explanations are clear and easy to follow. Two separate DVD's form the set. Disc 1 deals with an actual performance in front of children, featuring some thirteen effects and routines. Then follows the working methods and entertaining routines.

The second DVD includes a very interesting interview, Tamar Kimmons asking the questions. Quentin's many years of experience entertaining children shines through - practical tips, hints and advice.
Many of the items are either available from dealers or can be made up.

The actual production of this video is of a very high standard.
I thoroughly recommend this set of DVD's to all children's entertainers. It's one of the best I've ever had the pleasure of watching. Once I started watching it, I couldn't stop to do anything else. When the video ended, it was way past my bedtime, so I have Quentin to blame for that!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quentin is also a member of The Magic Café.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/bb_pr......ser=1223

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Bill Scott
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
119 Posts

Profile of Bill Scott
Couldn't find it either, checked several online magic shops - none had a listing for it. Thanks Jeff for your comment, seems Tommy must have had a pre-release copy.
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Tommy, thank you for the review.

As noted in Jeff's post, the 2 DVD set is being officially launched next week at the Trix In The Stix convention in England. I've contacted Steve Brooks regarding placing an ad for it here on the Café. It will be available from myself and I'd imagine through many dealers via Murphy's. The price is £25 sterling plus postage.

The DVDs arrived from the replicators the day before I left home for a 17-day trip and I only got back last night. I did send out some review copies to some Café members as well as to the major magazines. I'll be happy to post full details once I've arranged an ad with Steve Brooks.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Will you have a US distributor, or will all orders be handled in the UK?
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Hello Opus, I am selling them myself from the UK and Murphy's will be distributing in the US.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Thanks.
Bill Scott
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
119 Posts

Profile of Bill Scott
I just received a text from Quentin and the DVD will be at Murphy's next week and from there, I assume, most retailer here in the U.S. will have it shortly.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I just received this and plan on watching it on the plane on my way to Abracorndabra tomorrow. I've always been a big fan of Quentins work and am looking forward to watching these.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I have received an advance copy and I was very impressed with the cover art, the production and the content.

I am writing up a review now and will post the review as soon as I finished dotting the t's and crossing the dots.
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Thanks for the "heads up" Tommy Love the Q
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of noland
Has anyone heard anything further about when Quentin's new dvd will be available for sale in the U.S.?
Bill Scott
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
119 Posts

Profile of Bill Scott
See my post my post above, Quenton told me he made a shipment to Murphy's a couple of weeks ago, should be in a few stores by now.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Just received my advance copy of Quentin's DVD. I will have have a look as soon as I get my computer back from the shop. I'm using Samsung Tablet that has no dvd player.
Tricky Ricky
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I finished writing my review and as I was putting the DVD back in the case I noticed a second DVD, this is a two DVD program; The first DVD was great, I'm sure the second DVD will be even make it greater.

I have to go back and rewrite my review after I view the second DVD
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
There was a bit of a delay with the video promo, but now supplies seem to be reaching international dealers.
Here's the video promo done by John Kimmons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjiLJUG-BU0&feature=youtu.be
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I just checked Murphy’s inventory and the DVD’s are in stock and ready to be shipped to dealers.

I apologize for not posting my review earlier, I received my advanced copy along with Tommy Ricky and Payne here on the Café but the June school end of year magic shows have been keeping me traveling preventing me from completing my review of the program until now.

I would like to take a few minutes now to tell you that I highly regard this DVD as original and informative.

On DVD number one, Quentin not only performs the routines in front of kids, further on in the DVD Quentin explains in great detail the workings of the necessary props and unique methods of handling them.

On DVD number two,Quentin, in an interview at the Kimmo studios gives the viewer a thoughtful and entertaining explanation of his history in magic and the history of famous magicians of the past by pointing out and making the viewer aware of various classic props and out of print magic books that are still available from second hand bookstores around the world.

As an example, Quentin, explains how the ABC block prop can be modified to have the position “A” block seem to float in the air leaving the position “B" block space empty and the "C" block sitting on the base when the square cover is removed to reveal the “B” block missing; I have been performing this trick for years just revealing the "A" block sitting on the "C" block at the conclusion of my routine, now to improve my routine, I’m going to modify my prop to work as Quentin explains it on his DVD.

In closing as I said at the beginning of this post, Murphy’s has them in stock, so your dealer can order them and I recommend you purchase the DVD and watch it a few times to gain the knowledge Quentin has shared with us.

Buzz AKA Howie Diddot
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
The YouTube clip looks quite interesting.

Gerry
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Gerry;

You’re correct, the YouTube video of “Bring Back the Schtick” is interesting, the video gives you a glimpse of what’s on the disk, what you miss on the YouTube video is Quentin performing the complete routines; the explanation Quentin shares of the details of the routines and most importantly, you can see the connection Quentin has with the audience

In my show last Saturday, I modified my Axtell Drawing Board routine to utilize a portion of Quentin’s routine and it came off better than my original routine ever was.

This week I’m going to convert my ABC block prop to how it’s explained by Quentin in his video and end my routine with the “A block floating in its position and an empty space where the “B” block is supposed to be with the “C” block sitting on the base.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Quentin Reynolds new DVD (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL