The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 100% opaque coin envelopes? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
If I write with a sharpie on a business card and insert it unfolded into a coin envelope, the writing shows through a little with all of the envelopes I've tried (on the unseamed side). I just got some Columbia envelopes, but they are not much thicker than the Staples ones.

Not a big deal for folded cards or with pencil, but I'd like to find some that are 100% opaque for marker.

Anybody know of one?
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I saw some black ones on Amazon.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
That's not a bad idea. I feel like the manila ones are so commonplace that they're more invisible, but black ones are a cool idea. Thanks.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Http://www.amazon.com/Coin-Envelopes-Mid......3&sr=8-3
Not that cheap but who's counting. (BTW you may get shorted a few if you are Smile )
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On May 17, 2016, Slim King wrote:
Http://www.amazon.com/Coin-Envelopes-Mid......3&sr=8-3
Not that cheap but who's counting. (BTW you may get shorted a few if you are Smile )

Awesome find! Thank you! I just ordered them!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'll be getting some too ... Just found an old Amazon credit card I was given for my birthday!!! I think Max also had a routine with a black envelope.
Mifune
View Profile
Loyal user
Spain
266 Posts

Profile of Mifune
I have used dark red envelopes because they seem very opaque.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I use them all the time, if you're making a prediction, you can buy a sharpie marker in silver, gold and bronze editions - they work very well on the black...
I've asked to be banned
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Office Depot brand "used" to be the most opaque...with that said, I have not purchased any from them in a while. Worth checking out. If you have one in your area pop in. They are definitely different than the ones you find at Staples/OfficeMax
Twisted Mentat
View Profile
Regular user
Giedi Prime
147 Posts

Profile of Twisted Mentat
I remember it was discussed in other topics about the envelopes.
Transparency depends on the paper weight.
28 lb stock - will be 100% opaque.
My envelope No.3 that I bought on Amazon - 100% opaque. 28 lb stock "Qulity Park Products".
These envelopes even have free and fast shipping Amazon Prime.
Link:
http://www.amazon.com/Quality-Park-Brown......sbs_op_2
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On May 22, 2016, tmoca wrote:
Office Depot brand "used" to be the most opaque...with that said, I have not purchased any from them in a while. Worth checking out. If you have one in your area pop in. They are definitely different than the ones you find at Staples/OfficeMax

Note that Office Depot and Office Max have merged.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Are they bow called Office Office or Max Depot?..
I've asked to be banned
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

The envelopes are still labeled "Office Depot," but they are sold at Office Max. (The company's delivery trucks now have "Office Max/Office Depot" painted on their sides.)

They are 28 lb stock and totally opaque. These are the ones I used for 4dt. (I now use #1 envelopes instead of #3s.)

Except maybe in a bizarre magic or intimate routine, I disagree with the idea of using black or colored envelopes. In a properly executed billet/envelope routine, the billets and envelopes become nearly invisible and are largely forgotten. But when you use odd-looking envelopes, you are simply directing attention to them and make them appear "special."

You really shouldn't want to give that impression.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I get the normality rule for sure...

I just think they look smart AND normal (as anyone can see 'em on amazon)...

And, for me, cos they're black it helps negate any transparency ideas...
I've asked to be banned
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Iain- Just because you can see something on Amazon doesn't mean it is something people are used to seeing.

Black envelopes stand out and will attract more attention than generic ones.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Yeah, I agree...i cant help but like 'em though...
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Saying that, I do think coloured envelopes are pretty standard...they're in pretty much every shop over here...wh smiths, paperchase, rymans, ebay...biased me thinks they're common 'enough'...
I've asked to be banned
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Even in the US, they're common in letter envelopes, invitation and birthday card envelopes. Not in coin envelopes, though. And, common or not, they still attract attention.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Yeah, over here those Kraft coin envelopes don't really exist...we have wage envelopes or seed envelopes which are the closest...and the ones we do have, are pretty poor quality...
I've asked to be banned
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1753 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Black envelopes do not stand out more than any other coin envelope, as these days unless you work in a restaurant you've probably never seen a coin envelope. And even in the last several resturaunts I've worked in we have not used coin envelopes for tip outs as they weren't cost effective.

So, I don't think it matters what color you use. They still could seem odd. That said, just don't make a big deal out of it. Regardless of color, they're just some weird little envelopes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 100% opaque coin envelopes? (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL