The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 100% opaque coin envelopes? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Weird little envelopes.

Exactly.

Coin collectors, jewelry makers, drug dealers and innumerable others are familiar with the generic type. Not black ones, though.

You surely don't think office supply outfits are making them for the mentalism market, do you?

Who do you suppose is buying them?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
...if I had to pick an average uk envelope, ours would be white with the textured inside, they're pretty thin - I know scott creasey has envelope work on them...C6 size is 114mm x 162mm and ours open along the longest side/edge, and a business card in the uk is 85mm x 55mm...so almost double...
I've asked to be banned
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1753 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
As I said, most of the time I have seen them in the real world it has been when I was working in the service industry and we used them for tip-outs. Other than that, I have never seen them in the wild, not have most people. Of course, they are used, but by a small and niche crowd for certain purposes. It's not something people carry around in their breast pocket. Therefore, any time you introduce them there is the chance of someone thinking "Wow, what a weird little envelope." This is true regardless of color. The only advantage I can see to certain colors over others is for visibility from the stage. If you are working with a black backdrop, for instance, black envelopes would be a terrible idea.

I'm leaning towards getting a couple of orders of black coin envelopes with my logo printed on it. Look a little more "classy" to me than the standard fare, and would make sense as to why such an unusual envelope being introduced. It would also make my psychometry routine a bit easier Smile
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
...just to highlight the pernickerty-ness of things, for me, printed text on a black envelope *would* look too unusual, ha!
I've asked to be banned
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

It would also make them look "special," which is exactly what you don't want. But you haven't answered my question- why do you think office supply companies keep manufacturing these and who is buying them?

I think you are totally wrong in your assessment that most people aren't familiar with generic coin envelopes. What data do you base that on?

I think I know what I'm talking about.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1753 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Yes, it would make them look special, which in the context I have planned for them is actually exactly what I want. But that's actually off topic and an idea for a very particular performance.

I did answer your question.

Most commonly, it seems they are being bought and used in the service industry.

I think you are wrong in your assessment as well. I base my data on the fact that aside from when dealing with paying tip outs I have never seen a single person remove a coin envelope from their pocket.

I also think I know what I'm talking about. I think it's obvious we both think we know what we're talking about, otherwise neither of us would be talking!
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Whatever. It's interesting that when mentalists are paying me hundreds of dollars for my advice, they take it a lot more seriously than when I post it here for free.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1753 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Just because I disagree, does not mean I haven't considered the advice. Am I not allowed to disagree? Of course I am. That's the nature of conversation.

You have one point, which you have found to be valid.

I have one point, which I have found to be valid.

Hopefully, the OP will read the discussion and come to his own conclusion and his one point that he finds to be valid.

Where is the problem?
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
It's hard to deny Bob's understanding of this. If I am giving someone a keepsake of the performance or something to remember their experience with me, I understand it can read as "special". If it is anything that relates to effect or especially "method" it should definitely be beyond suspicion. Anything that calls attention to itself even in the smallest sense creates subliminal unrest in the spectators minds.
Ray Pierce
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Exactly, Ray.

I think what we are seeing here is an example of mentalism slowly morphing into "mental magic," where specially printed props and odd looking accessories are very common.

I don't use anything in my act that doesn't look like it came from an office supply or drug store. And certainly not anything that looks the least bit "special."
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1753 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
I don't know how what I wrote could be interpreted as mental magic. But, if it is that's fine.

Regarding the specially printed envelopes: Again, as I wrote above, that is a consideration for one particular performance.

My contention is that since the particular envelope style that we use (Coin envelopes) are relatively uncommon, at least in my geographic location, that color does not matter as much as regardless of color there is the potential for an audience member to think "That's an odd envelope". Granted, I don't think that occurs because an envelope is an envelope and nothing more, but Brown, Red, Black, the color doesn't appear to have much affect on how it is perceived, from my experience. As long as you avoid white, as even with some of the "better" envelopes they are not opaque enough and writing can be seen through. White envelopes also just shout transparent, even if they're not.

I have personally all but stopped using coin envelopes because of how out-of-place they seem.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
The black coin envelopes are very popular with cannabis purveyors.
"Check out these cool envelopes. Do they smell still? Here lets put your paper in here."

I had the same thought as Bob about the black ones, but I got some to play with because they're perfect for a Larry Becker idea that I've done some work on. It could be played as a special test conditions experiment. Perhaps black even facilitates the RV process.
But not for 4DT.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On May 22, 2016, Last Laugh wrote:
The black coin envelopes are very popular with cannabis purveyors.

really? over here its just in sealable plastic bags...

so I've been informed, naturally...
I've asked to be banned
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1753 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Not that I know from first hand account or anything, but it seems like the cannabis salesmen tend to use either plastic jewelry bags or sandwich bags.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
No, for fancy hash, oil, and what's that stuff? Oh yeah dab. They're in little bags inside the envelopes.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I wanted to say - oddness notwithstanding, these black envelopes are very nicely made.

Also, although the blurb for the #1 envelopes say its 80# paper and the #3 say it's 24#, they both appear to be the same exact paper.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Stu Montgomery
View Profile
Veteran user
St Petersburg FL
354 Posts

Profile of Stu Montgomery
Quote:
On May 22, 2016, IAIN wrote:
Yeah, over here those Kraft coin envelopes don't really exist...we have wage envelopes or seed envelopes which are the closest...and the ones we do have, are pretty poor quality...

You said it Iain! UK Pay Envelopes (does anyone actually use these for pay Smile ) are woeful quality! Since the quality in/from the USA is so much better, perhaps an enterprising UK dealer might import these & sell them in more realistic quantities (from the usual 500) - a fair wee profit here Smile
"Round about what is, lies a whole mysterious world of might be" Longfellow.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

What kind of envelopes do coin dealers use in the UK?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 100% opaque coin envelopes? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL