The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Well known Norwegian magician exposes magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Well known Finn Jon of Norway celebrates his 65th birthday today.
In an interview today in Norway's major newspaper, Aftenposten, this morning he is exposing Sawing a Lady in Two.

What a shame - and what a way to celebrate his birthday.

Sven
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I have four books that show how to saw a lady in half and all of them are different techniques. One of them isn't even a book on magic. I don't see the threat here.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Just exposing one, and not all methods there are, doesn't justify a thing of what he did.
boywonder
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of boywonder
I agree with you Sven. There is never any justification for exposing the principles of our art form. We have a Code of Ethic and Conduct for a reason. Just because someone reaches a milestone in their career or achieves success in the magic industry doesn't give them the right to expose a method, regardless of HOW MANY methods there may be.

Revealing a method - the secret - destroys someone else's creativity. No one has the right to do that. If Finn Jon (or anyone for that matter), developed the method, they have the right to reveal it. If they didn't, it's not their property to destroy by revelation.
JJDrew
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
221 Posts

Profile of JJDrew
Not to mention that if people know ONE method, they generally think it's the ONLY method and from then on automatically assume they know how the effect is done.

Many times I've seen a magician begin a trick by having someone pick a card and have someone in the audience pipe up, "OH, I know this one! Odds are they know one trick that someone showed them when they were six years old, but they don't realize that there are innumerable variations on the old "Pick a card and then find it" theme. They generally proceed to be mystified.

How many beginner jugglers I meet that say, "I can juggle. I learned then got bored and quit." They didn't realize that anything existed in juggling beyond a three-ball cascade and numbers. It's like learning to play chopsticks and then assuming there's nothing more to playing piano.

If people react this way to such broad subjects, just imagine their reaction to a more specific instance like sawing somebody in half.
John McDonald
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester, England, UK
165 Posts

Profile of John McDonald
Sawing a lady in two. Before everyone goes overboard about this - what are the facts? Of course without exposing again!!!
Best wishes John
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27088 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quite odd to hear that an innovative club/closeup worker who specializes in IT work would discuss a hundred year old stage box trick in an interview.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Jonathan;
I did NOT say that he involves himself in illusions. As a guy having been involved in magic and mentalism in Norway for quite a few decades, I should be among the first to know what kind of performing style Finn Jon has.
What I DID say, was that he exposed secrets about illusions.
Finn Jon is a fine performer, but I react to exposing.
After all, we have all (or most of us) given some promises and sworn some oaths when we first got into this, haven't we?

And even though you find it strange that he discussed that illusion in the press, it is a fact that he did.

Even though this was introduced 100 years ago or so, it's still in use..in several variations.

Sven
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
ONLY IF THIS IS TRUE IN WHAT HE DID, then I agree 100% of what Boywonder stated above. Ed, (Eddini).
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Well known Norwegian magician exposes magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL