The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Observation Test (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magiconcio
View Profile
Regular user
Working on my vanish of
147 Posts

Profile of Magiconcio
Hi!

Are you guys familiar with Observation Test from Royal Road to Card Magic? The effect is simply this:

Four cards are shown, let's say the for 10's. Magician then display each one by putting them in the table, one at a time, asking the spec to pay attention to the color of each one. He does it another time, but leaves the fourth card face down in the table, gathers the three cards faceup and throw them in the deck. He patters a bit about paying attention and asks the value of the face down card. Turns out the face down card isn't a 10, but a previously selected card/ a joker/ anything besides the 10's.

I like this effect, but I've presented it three times already. Two really observed the face up cards and saw something "odd" - I don't want to expose, but you should know what I'm talking about. The other one didn't "see it", but figured out that "there was more than meet the eyes" (you should know what I'm talking about, I don't want to expose).

Have any of you guys tried to perform it before? I'm pretty positive this shouldn't be performed close up in a bright day now. I would be happy to hear your insights in this effect. Thanks!
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
I don't understand your problem. This trick is pretty staightforward and I wonder, what "odd" things there are to observe. If your handling is clean, there is nothing to see. If you can't handle a double card convincingly as one, you are not ready to perform the trick.
Magiconcio
View Profile
Regular user
Working on my vanish of
147 Posts

Profile of Magiconcio
Yep, the double card itself. I'm not sure if it's an issue with my deck, but two cards are perceptible. My deck is thicker than bicycles, but still, I thought that with enough missdirection nobody would see the double card. I still think that if done in a off-beat way nobody would notice, but this is basically the opposite of the "observation" patter.

I really like the effect, by the way, and the "move" used in the packet seems to have a lot of potential to me.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
"Watch your angles?"
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On May 19, 2016, Magiconcio wrote:
Hi!

Are you guys familiar with Observation Test from Royal Road to Card Magic? The effect is simply this:

Four cards are shown, let's say the for 10's. Magician then display each one by putting them in the table, one at a time, asking the spec to pay attention to the color of each one. He does it another time, but leaves the fourth card face down in the table, gathers the three cards faceup and throw them in the deck. He patters a bit about paying attention and asks the value of the face down card. Turns out the face down card isn't a 10, but a previously selected card/ a joker/ anything besides the 10's.

I like this effect, but I've presented it three times already. Two really observed the face up cards and saw something "odd" - I don't want to expose, but you should know what I'm talking about. The other one didn't "see it", but figured out that "there was more than meet the eyes" (you should know what I'm talking about, I don't want to expose).

Have any of you guys tried to perform it before? I'm pretty positive this shouldn't be performed close up in a bright day now. I would be happy to hear your insights in this effect. Thanks!

I've been performing this trick with 4 Aces for 40 years. The patter presentation I give is that it is a colour blind test. I have never been caught. Not once. So, if you've been caught in your first attempts, I suggest you aren't ready to present it yet. Practice a bit harder until you can do it flawlessly. It is only 2 sleights after all.

You state that the cards you use are thicker than bicycles. If the cards you are using are causing problems, I suggest you do it with Bikes instead.
Magiconcio
View Profile
Regular user
Working on my vanish of
147 Posts

Profile of Magiconcio
Presentation seems like a big thing. I'm still trying to develop a "presentation persona". So far I didn't got much sucess to be honest, so it's harder to missdirect people. However, I really like this effect and I am trying to come up with my own patter/presentation of it. I have something in mind already. I really like the method itself, too. I think it could be applied to a lot of things. This is the only packet move I know so far, so I'm kinda excited about it.

I don't know how to explain it, but the cards I use are like "glued layers". As they get worn out they start to "unglue" and the borders become thicker, making it easy to tell when they're two. Bikes are expensive here where I live. But there are some cheap plastic alternatives I'll look at.
carlyle
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of carlyle
A possible suggestion (other than laying down the double pretty square on the pile, of course) - the "observation" part of the trick needn't be too stressed, perhaps. It's just showing a black, a red, a black and then a red (or the selection). The fourth card (in both deals) is the card in "question" ("red, black, red... so this one must be..?").
Try to focus on the fourth card - to me it's the "mystery" card and I try to get the spectators to focus on it, too. I deal like it's all leading up to the fourth card. It is a small idea, but it has helped me get into the flow of the trick (otherwise I might keep focusing on that double...).

It took me quite a while to get the deal down so it works (and be relaxed about it), but it's a really strong trick I think, and I enjoy it.
Magiconcio
View Profile
Regular user
Working on my vanish of
147 Posts

Profile of Magiconcio
I've performed that effect a couple more times and had a lot of success by doing just that, Carlyle. Instead of using the suggested patter now I say something like "those are lucky cards". Them I say something like "This Ace of Spades is the lucky card of future" and stuff like that, leading to a finish of "Do you remember the last card? What was it? The Ace of Spades? Oh, well, the one about a surprise." and then I turn the card over and reveal their chosen card.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Observation Test (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL