The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop Cup (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Han Solo
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Han Solo
Where can I find a good quality chop cup that is not too expensive? I really would like to add this effect to my show. Thanks.
Kill da wabbit! Kill da wabbit!-Elmer Fudd
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Ebay is a good source...just double check the postage before bidding though.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Also, be careful of people who misidentify their product as chop cups. Last week, there was a fellow on eBay who had a set of what he described as "Three Glass Chop Cups." He went on to say that they were "smaller than normal chops." So I asked him how many of the three had the extra something that makes them what they are. His answer "NONE of them."

So I had to explain that chop cups were not like normal cups. He cleaned up subsequent ads. I don't think he actually sold any of them.

How much are you willing to spend for a cup? I may have a used one for sale.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I bought my chop cup from Ebay as well and had to double check that indeed it was a chop cup. The seller was an antique shop owner and her friend said it looked like a chop cup so she listed it as such without knowing about the "chop." She checked before I bid and all was fine.

I recommend searching for a style that you like, then buying that branded cup online. For example, I like the Morrissey style and bought the above copper Morrissey cup on Ebay for $12 but now I need to have my wife make a cloth bag and then I need to find the right balls for the cup and that's going to take some time and shipping costs. It's key that you have the right balls to match your cup.

I don't think I saved that much with all added up so unless you can get the right balls included with the cup, and already have a bag, then I recommend just buying a set from an online or local magic store.
Han Solo
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Han Solo
Well I wold like it to match the aluminum cups I bought on penguin magic. I am creating a two cup routine that use one chop cup and one regular cup and a few slights. As for how much I'm willing to pay I don't really know how much they go for. I'm new to chop cups. Thanks
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
You could buy the Johnson sets as they have a chop to match their regular cups.

Kirk
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
But if you did that you'd have to spend about $250 just to get a chop cup.

Chris
PyroJeffNic
View Profile
Regular user
Alberta, Canada
161 Posts

Profile of PyroJeffNic
Morrissey Magic supplies in Canada.
Not only are they high quality, but they are cheap because of the currency exchange. For sure, my recomendation would be Morrissey
retrostylemagic
WoodRat
View Profile
Loyal user
California
233 Posts

Profile of WoodRat
Hey Jive Turkey,

Why not just shim a regular knit ball? Cheap & easy
Learn something new everyday.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I still have to buy the balls...

I think it's just easier to buy a set for about the same price after you add everything together and can be done with it.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
RE:
"But if you did that you'd have to spend about $250 just to get a chop cup. Chris"

Actually the chop cup is free, since the orginal cost of the cups was very close to this. And you get a really cool set of cups and balls to boot!

Actually my post was sort of tongue in cheek. A simple, reasonable quality chop cup in the store is 15-25. Why worry about that price? For a few dollars more, you can get the Loomis cup or the leather cups offered by our own Frank here on the Café.

KirkG
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Expensive is a relative thing. I've bought a lot of inexpensive magic tricks which ended up sitting in my drawer because they were not something I felt I could use in front of an audience. That's expensive.

I've also paid quite a lot of money for some things. Some ended up being an effective part of my shows. I don't think of them as expensive, but as an investment which pays dividends every time I use them in front of an audience.

The Loomis/Riser Micro Chop Cups are not for everyone. They were designed to be used in the hands for strolling performers. They were never intended to be used for larger groups. They are a hefty investment, especially the Gold Plated Sets, because Jim Riser is a perfectionist and so am I. I would not sell cups that don't work, or with a poor routine. A lot of time and effort went into producing the instruction booklet and sharing effectively a routine which has been done literally thousands of times over a lot of years. But, they will be "expensive" for you if you don't end up using them.

Dennis Loomis
http://www.loomismagic.com
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
For a few dollars more, you can get the Loomis cup or the leather cups offered by our own Frank here on the Café.

KirkG

Thanks Kirk. Actually, these are the only cups I use now. Either my own leather cups or Dennis's Micro.

The leather cups offer advantages no other cups can and the Micro cup is great for a strolling, in-the-hands routine.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Joaquin Matas
View Profile
New user
Barcelona (Spain)
53 Posts

Profile of Joaquin Matas
Hi, everybody!!

I believe that a chop cup should be made of leather. With the shape of a dice cup. This is familiar to people and a metal cup could give clues to the spectators. There are a lot of great leather chop cups out there.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22858 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The original Chop Cup by Al Wheatley was made of Bamboo.

Maybe it would be nice if someone would make the original.

Get the best quality for money from:

http://www.morrisseymagic.com

Nice cup.
Han Solo
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Han Solo
Thanks to everyone who replied. it has been a great help.
All the best,
Jonathan Thompson
Joker 808
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Joker 808
A good source that I use is Magicbox as they are fast, efficient and cheap. I hav had no problems with them in the past and they deliver with good quality

The site is magicbox.co.uk and is situated in UK, Newcastle.

Olly
What's that rabbit doing on your face?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Thomas Wayne sells a killer coffee mug that is not only chopped but in a different, and better way. The work on this is fantastic and cost is, I believe, around $40.00
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
carboy98
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of carboy98
Quote:
On 2004-03-31 11:54, Joker 808 wrote:
A good source that I use is Magicbox as they are fast, efficient and cheap. I hav had no problems with them in the past and they deliver with good quality

The site is magicbox.co.uk and is situated in UK, Newcastle.

Olly

Its a good site, but I think that the address is in fact http://www.magicbox.uk.com
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
Well spotted carboy.
Do you agree it is a good site?
-Nik
When you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop Cup (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL