The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » All About Eve Booktest by Steve Dela (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1646 Posts

Profile of JamieD
All About Eve by Steve Dela

I remember some years ago first meeting Steve in Covent Garden, London. At a quirky magic stall called the Magic Cave, I knew little of him at the time. He was young, well polished, a little bit outlandish and fantastically camp. By that time, he had already been awarded many prestigious awards and many raved about him. He brought out a DVD set called ‘Work & Play’ which showcased brilliantly, his thoughts on performance and was possibly my first introduction to the thoughts of a professional working magician. It was a brilliant DVD set and some of his insights I still utilise today. However, past that point, we rarely spoke and whilst he still frequented the same circles as me, sadly we never really spoke.

Fast forward to several weeks ago when I heard about a new ‘Book Test’ that he had developed and released. I’ll be entirely honest and i’m sure he will forgive me in saying this but, I was largely uninterested. Now, don’t get me wrong, it is nothing personal to Mr Dela but whilst I love ‘Book Tests’, so many of them are released for substantial amounts of money and don't often bring much new to the table. Equally, I own the MOABT Pocket and have loved using it at my gigs for a couple of years now. That being said, that fact it was being released by someone whom I know is a full time working magician and it was made for those circumstances did make me follow it’s journey across the magic community.

Fast forward again to last week in which the Alakazam Magic Video Blog reviewed Mr Delas new effect. I respect Peter Nardi hugely and his knowledge of magic and more specifically, mentalism is incredible. So when he rated ‘All About Eve’ as high as MOABT, then I knew I had to get it.

So what do you get for your money? You receive a space age silver bubble envelope to protect the magic. As you peel the shine silver sticker, you slide out a pocket sized novel which has been wrapped in blue tissue paper and once again, sealed with a sticker to protect the book even more. You also get a double sided set of instructions, a small black envelope, a dust cover and another white envelope. Ill explain all of that in a second!

The book is beautifully produced. For those who own MOABT Pocket, it is the same width but a tiny bit longer than that. Making it perfect to not only use along side MOABT but also to fit in your pocket. It looks exactly like what it should be. A small novel with 300 or so pages. The thought that has gone into the design is superb! Even small subtitles like the font size and spacing has been taken into consideration to that those performing in slightly dimmer lighting conditions can benefit from it. Now what makes this so much different to other ‘Book Tests’? Now, whilst I am not a full time magician, I do often perform at weddings, corporate events, parties etc and have worked MOABT to the bone. So knowing what can happen at gigs really aids in reviewing such an effect and let me tell you, I couldn't love this any more than I do! Sometimes in mind reading demonstrations, the smallest subtitles make the biggest convincer that you are actually reading their mind! So, for those who follow and know the workings of MOABT, you will be aware that you must acquire a something in order for the effect to be successful. This creates a real disconnect with the effect and you begin with a miss. Not really what should happen when you are actually reading their mind. However, with ‘All About Eve’, without any pumping or any “progressive” nonsense, you can instantly, without any work, start spelling their word out!

Now, let me outline what happens in real time. You hand them the book, with your back turned, you ask them to think of a word on the page, they close the book and put it into their pocket if you wish. You then instantly, with no questions asked, start spelling significant parts of their word out. It is just incredibly clean looking. Now, you will have to acquire the same information as you would with MOABT but way after you’ve already started to read their mind. It’s hidden in the middle of the reveals making sure they don't even notice it! Whats more, the way the book is designed, it is FAR more examinable than some of it’s predecessors. And whilst Mr Dela hasn’t put it in the instructions, another little hit is, you can tell them pretty accurately where about they saw it on the page! Again, a very small subtlety but another little hit considering they could have thought of any word anywhere on the page!

Memory work is fairly minimal. The same as MOABT pretty much but for those of us cheats, Mr Dela even supplies a couple of cr**s in the package to aid with the effect. He also supplies you with a plastic dust sleeve to protect the book although I like my books to look a little worn. He even goes as far as supplying a library pocket incase you would like your audience to think you have borrowed the book from the library. So he really has thought of everything!

This is definitely going straight into my working set alongside MOABT Pocket and they will compliment each other beautifully! I cannot recommend this little beauty enough and know it is going to be a life long love of mine. For the price, it is a steal and all you have to remember is the amount of real world experience which has gone into creating this.

I should also add, crediting is also substantial which is just the cherry on the cake! This is a brilliant bit of kit for the gigging magician/ mentalist!

It is available direct from Mr Dela at hello@magic.uk.com or from http://www.alakazam.co.uk
THE DARK SERIES - DECEASED - SCREAM - HE'S NOT HERE - www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Thanks for the review.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Note that the revelation of a letter or letters before asking a question is not new. The original concept was by Richard Busch and published in his "Mother's Little Helper" nearly twenty years ago. More recently, Looch put out a book test using a book of short stories that allowed an additional letter to be revealed before the pump.

And note that, in both versions, no apparent pump is used at all.
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1646 Posts

Profile of JamieD
Hey Mr Cassidy!

He covered all of that in the crediting of AAE Smile

Jamie Daws
THE DARK SERIES - DECEASED - SCREAM - HE'S NOT HERE - www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
That's good to hear.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2218 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I think it is fair to say that if you like Looch's book test you will also very much like this one.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3321 Posts

Profile of Looch
Yes, Steve contacted me a few months ago after he saw Anthony Jacquin perform my AREA Booktest. Steve has given credit and I wish him all the best with his project. The Richard Busch ploy is something that never seems to get enough credit, its fantastic!
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3694 Posts

Profile of JanForster
May I ask where I find Richard's original idea? I am almost sure to have it in my library. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3321 Posts

Profile of Looch
MomEManouevr "mothers little helper"
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1627 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
I think I may have asked this on another thread, but does anyone know when it will be available on Alakazam USA or elsewhere in the USA>

George
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10498 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I just received this in hand today from Peter Nardi.

Gorgeous and super quality upon initial inspection.

Great size - a little thicker than MOABT pocket size. Great graphics and well made all the way.

I like what I see - this is a 1st class little release - packaged well with good instructions. I plan to dive in and push aside a table full of stuff to learn this ASAP.

From what I read you get at least 3 straight on hits before taking a stab - and even then it's a 75% stab of a 4th hit with no misses.

And even if you miss on the 4th round its not a total miss.

VERY VERY NICE.

Production values also look a tad better than AREA IMO - produced in a superior size for strolling.

I might be way premature, but this seems like the most interesting book test I have seen in some time.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
663 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Quote:
On May 24, 2016, mastermindreader wrote:
Note that the revelation of a letter or letters before asking a question is not new. The original concept was by Richard Busch and published in his "Mother's Little Helper" nearly twenty years ago. More recently, Looch put out a book test using a book of short stories that allowed an additional letter to be revealed before the pump.

And note that, in both versions, no apparent pump is used at all.

Joshua Quinn's book test also accomplishes the revelation of a letter (or two) before any "work".

BTW, Steve's book test sounds very nice.
Follow the link...
www.experience-architecture.com
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1312 Posts

Profile of bond19
I have it and it's a gem of a worker. I've used it extensively the last couple of weeks at my walkaround gigs. It truly drops jaws.

The way the 'you know what' is spread out throughout the book means there is almost no chance anyone will discover it. It's very well conceived from this standpoint.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10498 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I'm surprised we aren't hearing more about this excellent book test.

I've been playing with it too like my friend Bond and I think any performer that is addicted to quality book tests will love this.

The title of the test gives a sense of the gifts within.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2218 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I now have this and have used this on several occasions. The quality and production is top notch and the reveal too is a delight. One of my favourite purchases of the year, especially as this is something I can see myself using on a regular basis.
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Is the number you're thinking of...
1482 Posts

Profile of elimagic
That is weird, my comment was deleted.

Anyways, I won't repeat but I will say that I just ordered this after deciding to r organize my stage and close up book test acts. This will work for me in both settings, however, will mainly service my close up gigs along side MOABT pocket.

After being floored with Will to Read for impromptu situations, the thinking in this book test to be able to reveal pieces with no questions or pumping is exciting.

Eli
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » All About Eve Booktest by Steve Dela (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL