The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Advice on purchasing a PA system for the pitch? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Frosty
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
245 Posts

Profile of Frosty
Hello all! I'm looking for advice on purchasing a not too expensive PA system. I need it to be portable with an internal long battery life for those long days of pitching.. Any recommendations or advise? Thanks!
silksock
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of silksock
I would go with the happy amp
Frosty
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
245 Posts

Profile of Frosty
Thanks silksock! I'll check it out!
Frosty
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
245 Posts

Profile of Frosty
OK Folks! I did my research and made a purchase of this PA Speaker by Pyle. Its the Pyle PWMA1216BM Portable PA System... My budget was around $100 and the battery needed to last for at least 10 hours. Also I needed it to be portable, with wireless headset and with separate Bass and Treble to control a clear sound (you can also charge it in the car when on the road!)... This has it all plus much more! Here's the link from Ebay but Amazon also sells the same one... Just don't buy the cheaper model because it doesn't have many of the features as this one (just make sure its the same model number!)... Hope this helps anyone searching for an inexpensive PA System. I still haven't tried it at the pitch joint but did test it at home and think It'll do just fine! Best!

Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161989201519?_tr......IDX%3AIT
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Thanks for the tip - remember spare batteries are cheap, too! Takes a minute to swap in a fresh one

Cheers

comedy guy
Frosty
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
245 Posts

Profile of Frosty
Hey, thanks for the tip Comedy Writer!

Ok folks! Here's a quick update to this PA review.... I recently worked a few small festivals, county fairs and flea markets using this PA system and have to say It's load enough for pitching, battery lasts long time and it's very portable but it has a problem. It cuts off sometimes for some reason at intervals... It works great most of the time but sometimes it's a headache when it starts glitching... I'm still happy to work with it but then again I'm still trying to figure out the problem.. oh well what can you expect for a hundred bucks! Anyways, if I'm able to figure out the problem and solution I'll post it here. My recommendation is to purchase a different PA and spend a little more to get a better system.... Hope this feedback helps...
Best to all!
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Frosty

Were you able to get the problem figured out?

Any other recommendations for a sound system that works?

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Frosty
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
245 Posts

Profile of Frosty
Hey Mark, yup! Looks like the 9volt battery on the transmitter was weak so I purchased stronger rechargeable ones and that fixed the problem... I'm out working a small state fair but once I get back I'll tell you more in it..
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Yes -Always replace the batteries on everything. ( and get the good ones)
Frosty
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
245 Posts

Profile of Frosty
I've used these speakers for just a few years now and honestly, I love 'em!

I now own 3 of them... They are small and work great! I use two at the same time on my joint (one on each side).. It sounds way better using two of them at the same time than using just one.. I connect them to each other using a wire and use just one reciever and both give a way better sound.. I've been set up sometimes in front of rides that play their music full blast or close to stages with loud speakers but thanks to these PA's I'm still able to be heard and it's much easier to able to bally them in.. My advice on them is to have good strong batteries and also carry extra head microphones cuz they start cutting out and need to be replaced once it starts.. they are cheap so I carry extras..
Frosty
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
245 Posts

Profile of Frosty
I know there are much better PA systems than these but for the price.. can't beat it!

I've seen other pitchman with way better ones (and much more expensive too) than mine but I'm very happy with the ones I got!

I'll post a pic of them with the accessories I use once I get a chance..
Phil Ainsworth
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Phil Ainsworth
Essentially, I find having a PA builds an edge much more quickly. It doesn't seem to help with getting the first person to stop, but by crikey does it help build an edge after that because to the passing punters, it sounds like a show is happening, rather than a trader is selling to a punter. As I'm sure you're aware, a bigger edge means more people to turn and that in itself usually means more money... But then the extra factor of hearing your voice through a PA also seems to condition the punters into a sort of compliant mindset... and I find they buy more as a result. It's almost like hearing your voice through a speaker makes you sound like an authority so they feel like they have to do as they are told and buy.

Also, even if you have a low wattage PA on low volume, it just supports your voice, allowing you to work long hours, on consecutive days, without losing it.

Yes, I'm well aware that pitchmen and grafters through the ages had to rely on their own voices without any electronic assistance, but my mindset is 'why make my own life harder'?

As an aside, I too have a powerful voice and can project when I need to (I trained as an actor and am more than happy working large stages without a mic). I just think... why not make more money with less strain on my voice... especially as a pitchman's voice is a very valuable tool!

Fair play to you if you don't need one... I just think most of us make more money when we do use them.
Frosty
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
245 Posts

Profile of Frosty
Yup! Couldn't of said it better...
Phil Ainsworth
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Phil Ainsworth
Ahh, I see that Mr Viewer's stay here has been cut brutally short...

It's a shame, he actually provided some useful advice, but it's all been deleted :-(
Frosty
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
245 Posts

Profile of Frosty
Yep! I agree... kinda fun when he shows up here..!

Many great post are deleted and sometimes what's left are a little hard to understand but please don't delete anymore...

I understand Mark is a controversial figure here in the Café but he does have a goldmine of experience on pitching..

He's one of the few real magic pitchmen left in the world..!

(This is really a dying art..)

Maybe he is a Pitchman gone MAD..! Maybe even sick in the mind but he is a fun and very knowledgeable pitchman...

I know he prefers to call himself a grafter but I ain't gonna give him the pleasure... LOL!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Advice on purchasing a PA system for the pitch? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL