We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Osterlind's Making Real Magic - NOT a review...... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
.....but some deep felt impressions after having read it (Heaven knows how many times!)

Even though I have been incredibly busy, and have been traveling a lot in my work lately I have brought Richard's book(s) with me almost all the time.
In almost every spare moment I have read his thoughts both in Making Magic Real and in Making Real Magic.
The latter is a very natural and great follow up to MMR.

To me is what he write what magic and mentalism is all about. Even though I get a "...of course, THIS is what I felt was secretly hidden deep in my mind and what I didn't find by myself.." on every page I turn to, this is also brand new discoveries for me.

....How I wish this book was written years ago!
Never the less, these pages will be among the most important magical litterature I own (-if not THE most important!)
To write like this can only be done on a background of real love to magic, mentalism and art of performing.
Not that I have read all magic books written, - but I have only found something like this once before - in the work of dr. Tarbell.

Then the routine; I didn't expect to find any in this book.
However, when I found and read Osterlind's Amazing Memory Demonstration, it opened a huge happy smile on my face.
This is Class! This is how real thinkers and creators do it!
I learned this simple memory technique many many years ago (in a British Tony Buzzan course I guess) and would never dream about that this could be converted to such a miracolous routine!
I have not started to look further into this, but you bet I will!!!

In his preface he write that this book isn't only about magic, but also about life.
Indeed it is!
After having read MRM, it has become more and more clear to me that life IS magic, and magic can be found everywhere. All you have to do is to look for it.

I am anxious to read his next book (whenever that will be written)
....wondering what you will name that one?
...Making Life Magic, maybe?
or Making Magic Life ? Smile

IMHO no one shoulod be let into performing magic or mentalism without these two books in hand - so...just go get them.
You wont regret it!

Richard;
With great respect and admiration;
Thank you for sharing...again!

Sven
marky707
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of marky707
Where can I get this book
giochi
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of giochi
I second Svens revi...NOT review. Osterlinds the man.
This is one of the best $10 I ever spent.
You can download the e-book of "Making Magic Real" from his website at http://www.osterlindmysteries.com
JudgeBean
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of JudgeBean
Will have to agree.
Osterlind is Da Man.

He is helpful and straight to the point.
Can not believe someone is so open with what they
know. and you just have to read several of his books
to see he knows what he is talking about.

Judge Bean
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
ABSOLUTELY!!!
Nicholas
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
I can agree more. Those two books are among my dearest readings. Richard is a good man, excellent performer and a true master.
AndrewG
View Profile
Regular user
UK
101 Posts

Profile of AndrewG
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I have not read any Osterlind material but it sounds excellent.

How does it compare with Ortiz's "Strong Magic" on the matter of presentation and showmanship.

Thanks for any views on this.
Andrew
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
I don't own anything of Ortiz.
However I own relatively spoken rather many other books. videos and DVDs on magic, showmanship and first of all mentalism.

All I can say is, that everything I have of Richard's work are my absolute favorites, no matter when they were made, and no matter what other's work I compare with.

I can't judge for you other guys, but to me MMR and MRM instantly opened my eyes and started to change my way of thinking.
I think that's pretty amazing....after all, I have had this interest for more than four decades.

Sven

BTW; Dynamic Mysteries is the latest book to my RO collection. Even though it's written some years ago, it is a masterpiece.

....And for the reccords, I did NOT buy it from Jeff Busby. I never would have!
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
I agree, totally, with Sven. And, for the price, I would get Osterlind's work no matter what else I had in mind. It is the best money I ever spent.
Nicholas
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
286 Posts

Profile of Xia
OK don't get me wrong, I LOVE osterlinds work, mind, and performance style. However I think that this whole subject was covered in such detail in derren browns Absolute magic that nothing else seems to come close.
Maybe I missed something in the ebook.
"They say time is money...i say time is precious"
"They say the whole is much more than the sum of its Parts...Thats why a man is much more than the sum of his Past!"
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Xia,

You are right. Absolute Magic covers the same points. But IMHO, Osterlind’s books have a deeper perspective on the same subjects. This is probably a subjective feeling, but I find tha MMR and MRM covers the same topics in a broader sense, EXCEPT in the subject of Magic as Art. DB’s essay on the subjec, in the last chapter of the book, is superb.

Anyway, I don’t think the point is to choose beetween one or the other. Both authors are key to really understand our relationship, as performers, with our own magic.
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
462 Posts

Profile of rgranville
I think it's mostly a question of taste. People who think about magic come to the same large conclusions. That's true of Osterlind and Brown. It's also true of Burger, Neale, McBride, Goldstein, Knepper, and Ammar. It's also true of Corinda. It's also true of Hay...

Not all of them choose to share their thoughts on this subject, although it comes through in all their work if you look for it. Those who do choose to share will present their ideas from their unique perspectives and in their unique styles. Some will strike a chord with you, others won't. That's good - that's what makes being human fun. Then we can discuss which authors you like and why, and which authors I like and why, and we both go away richer.
:banana:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Osterlind's Making Real Magic - NOT a review...... (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL