We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Jim Steinmeyer's "Criss Cross" illusion (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AllenChilver
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of AllenChilver
Not for the first time, I am posting on these pages in praise of Dan Wolfe of Smoky Mountain Magic.

Dan is perhaps best known as the main authorised supplier of the Mini Kub Zag illusion, but will also build custom magic on request. This year I wanted to add a big new illusion to my set and, after some discussions, we eventually settled on the Criss Cross illusion from Jim Steinmeyer's "Conjuring Anthology". I love both the ingenious method and the multi-beat plot and excellent script from Jim. I want to use this as a follow-on to Francis Menotti's "Wordsmyth", maintaining a theme of word play and puzzles.

Dan has now completed the build and I honestly think he has surpassed himself. Here are some pictures. I cannot believe how deceptive this is.

Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
That is a fantastic looking prop! And I love the base design.

And kudos for building a new(ish?) illusion, rather than rebuilding one we've all seen before.
jcmagicman
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of jcmagicman
Dan Wolfe keeps getting better everytime I see his work.

Very cool, indeed. Nice color palette too. Now if I can convince you to put up a video that would be great.. lol
AllenChilver
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of AllenChilver
Thanks Tally. The illusion is not so new - "Conjuring Analogy" was published in 2006 and is a collection of all of Jim Steinmeyer's "Conjuring" articles from MAGIC magazine. So it's been available for quite a few years, but I haven't come across any examples of it being performed. I believe I once found a discussion on Magic Café, but cannot now find it - I sometimes struggle with the search function on this site. (Entirely my fault, I'm sure.)

Dan Wolfe is a joy to work with. We originally looked at the "Plate Glass Illusion", which is a cross between two effects in "Device and Illusion", namely "The Lady in the Puzzle" and "Perforation". It looks gorgeous and we loved the idea of a plot with glass shards penetrating the assistant. Dan got as far as building the base but then we found a presentational issue that couldn't be overcome, so we decided to switch to "Criss Cross". All that and no change from the original quote. He is a real pro who understands customer service.

jcmagicman - happy to put up a video when I've reached the stage of getting the effect to a level that I'm happy to share. That will, inevitably, take a while. This is where the hard work begins....
AllenChilver
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of AllenChilver
Quote:
On May 30, 2016, AllenChilver wrote:
Thanks Tally. The illusion is not so new - "Conjuring Analogy" was published in 2006

Apologies - that should of course be "Conjuring Anthology".
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1467 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
Always considered doing this one. It is nice to see it fully realized and "off the page."

Looks fantastic!!!

-Scott
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
Edgar Alstad2
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Edgar Alstad2
What a great looking prop! I've always been curious on this principle - how well it would play. It looks so deceptive. Congratulations with your new illusion!
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
I've loved this since first reading it, and I love the principle Jim employed here. Wonderfully deceptive. Looks fantastic. Mind my asking what this one ran you?
It's all in the reflexes.
AllenChilver
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of AllenChilver
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2016, Illucifer wrote:
I've loved this since first reading it, and I love the principle Jim employed here. Wonderfully deceptive. Looks fantastic. Mind my asking what this one ran you?

Hello Illucifer

You'll be amused to know your question had me stumped for a few minutes - "what this one ran you" is not a phrase I've encountered in Britain! Happily Mr Google helped me.

I originally asked about "The Lady in the Puzzle", which Dan offers at $4,100. Dan talked me out of it and suggested "Plate Glass Mystery" at the same price, but then as I explained above there were presentation issues that couldn't be overcome. (I'll not discuss what these were on an open forum.) So we ended up with "Criss Cross", also at the same price. In addition to that there were international transport and import charges. Since then, the £/$ exchange rate has dropped off a cliff following recent events, so I'm really pleased I didn't do this any later.

I was so impressed that Dan never changed his price, even after we changed course twice, and particularly that this was a custom build using my assistant's body measurements.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Nice, thanks!
It's all in the reflexes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Jim Steinmeyer's "Criss Cross" illusion (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL