The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Radar Deck or Mind Power Deck? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

carlomagic
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of carlomagic
Hello there,

Quite a straighforward post.. I think! Which should I buy, and why?

I am already leaning towards the Radar Deck because of the fact it comes with on Bicycle stock, and other posts, suggestions and comments made about Osterlind have really motivated me to invest and explore that direction.

Any advice is appreciated.

Bets regards,

Carlo
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
286 Posts

Profile of Xia
Why not get the Osterlind DVD? He tells you how to make one and you get to see him use it plus, you get a load of other bits including Thought Scan, Richard's famous adaptation of the CT, a magazine test, plus a much improved bank nite.
It's all on DVD one.
"They say time is money...i say time is precious"
"They say the whole is much more than the sum of its Parts...Thats why a man is much more than the sum of his Past!"
carlomagic
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of carlomagic
Hello there,

Thank you Xia, the DVD set is certainly my next investment. There are so many positive posts I almost feel duty bound! I am looking forward to BCS amongst many other 'odds and ends'.

Regards,

Carlo
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1348 Posts

Profile of Colin
I feel it will depend on your performing style. If you do a lot of close up then MPD is the perfect answer, if however you do more stand up I'd recommend the Radar deck.

Richard Osterlind's dvd series is brilliant and I would highly recommed them to anyone wishing to seriously take up performing.

Personally, I prefer the Osterlind, but it is more suited to me.

Best Wishes,
Colin
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Colin's reply is on the mark.

The principle behind Radar Deck is somewhat unnecessary if you primarily perform close-up, and/or plan on doing this effect with one or two participants. It's brilliant, though, if you want to involve 4 or more.

Also, for close-up, it helps that the Mind Power Deck can be displayed as a normal deck of 52 different cards at the beginning and end of the effect. Plus there are some creative uses for it (like Derren Brown's) that you wouldn't be able to do with the Radar Deck.

For my strolling work and close-up work, the Mind Power Deck is wonderful.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
carlomagic
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of carlomagic
Hello there,

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated and has helped me gain a clearer picture. As the routine I am working on is a close-up one based on card work, your comments have helped a lot.

Regards,

Carlo
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I took a look at Osterlind's DVD #1, and got hooked by the Radar Deck, and decided to make my own (which I did).
Recently I been thinking about buýing it from his homesite, 'cause I want to have the deck in Bicycle.

I have the Mind Power Deck as well, but it leaves me cold.

I prefear the Radar Deck myself, but that is me.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
carlomagic
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of carlomagic
Quote:

I have the Mind Power Deck as well, but it leaves me cold.

I am interested in why you might think this. I have seen people's reactions and thought that of all the effects using thought of cards this one is pretty strong.

Have you had mixed reactions, or is just the way it is done?

Regards,

Carlo
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
520 Posts

Profile of Craig Crossman
I have to go with the Mind Power Deck. I liked it so much that I had it made in all Bicycle backs since the backs are some other kind of unfamiliar design. Now I know all about adding one Bike to the back and that the normal presentation doesn't even require you to display the backs...

But I have modified my presentation so that I can now table spread the deck, flip it over to the other side and then spread them again. This is a nice little flourish that lends itself to a more natural method of displaying the deck with the gaff and then back to normal. It certainly beats having to do an awkward end over end move.

I just love how you can leave the MP Deck totally open and fully displayed on the table as you proceed to blow everyone's mind!
carlomagic
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of carlomagic
Palm Beach Guy,

Did you use cardsbymartin.com to get the backs done?

Regards,

Carlo
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Carlo,

To answear your question, it's the way it's done I don't like.
But as I said earlier, that's me.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
GoranS
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of GoranS
I think that you really can't compare them, they are really different from each other and Radar Deck works better in stand up situations and Mind Power Deck works better on a table... so really it depends on what situation you're going to use it in!
carlomagic
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of carlomagic
Thanks Goran,

I think the MPD would certainly have more use for me, in close-up and table situations. I think you can compare them in terms of effect, but you are quite right to say that they really seem to serve two different purposes indeed.

I will buy the MPD, and maybe, just maybe, get the backs changed....

Regards,

Carlo
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
520 Posts

Carlo,

The answer to your question is "yes." Neil at Cards by Martin coverted my MPD for me. He has since raised his price since it was more work than he realized!

:)
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Quote:
ORecently I been thinking about buýing it from his homesite, cause I want to have the deck in bicycle.

This post really confuses me. Why couldn't you make the deck yourself using Bicycle cards?
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
520 Posts

Joshua,

Not sure why you are confused. Without tipping anything, I believe your confusion rises from your belief that the cards are normal. They are not. The faces of the cards are specially printed. You cannot use regular cards to make an MPD deck.
O Brien
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of O Brien
Palm Beach Guy:
Joshua wasn't confused but, no offense, you seem to be. Joshua was referring to Peo Olssen's remark about the Radar Deck, not the Mind Power Deck.

Peo:
The Radar Deck requires only four decks of cards to make up. If Bicycle decks are not common where you are, then use whatever decks are. It would be much better.

For everyone else:
I have two words: Be creative! I have used Radar Deck close-up and it works just as well. You have to alter your presentation a bit, but you should be doing that with all your effects anyway (altering them to suit your unique style).

That said, I do prefer the Radar Deck for two reasons. One, it's not Bikes (although that's a minor reason). Two, the steps in the methodology are cleaner in every way (sorry, can't go into much more detail without revealing secrets).
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
520 Posts

Ah, OK. Given that this thread is about both decks, I see now see the source of my confusion.

So to clarify things: Yes you can make a Radar Deck, and no you cannot make an MPD from a regular deck of cards.

There.

:)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Radar Deck or Mind Power Deck? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL