We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Can you be a magician and mentalist?? (127 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9..19~20~21 [Next]
MagicalEducator
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of MagicalEducator
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2016, Howie Diddot wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2016, MagicalEducator wrote:

Joe,

I'm not sure that you can make claims that I "...haven't truly studied mentalism" since you don't actually know my background.

jeff

Quote:
On Jun 5, 2016, Howie Diddot wrote:

Magical Educator, who are you?

My question to my fellow magician’s on the Café is, does anyone know who Magical Educator is?

Lots of members on the Café have no identifying information and are anonymous, but they are not making judgements and posting comments on expertise as you do.

I do not post in this forum, I read and learn, when mastermindreader posts a comment. or shares advice, I read it very carefully and learn from him; I know who he is and I take his post very seriously

You have posted that "I'm not sure that you can make claims that I ...haven't truly studied mentalism since you don't actually know my background".

Perhaps you might post a video of your performance so we all might see an example of your work. You might also consider posting some of your achievements and credentials so that we might be better able to critique a fellow performer.

Magical Educator, the random and subjective comments that you have posted on the Café don't really mean very much and I am looking forward to seeing your work.

Quote:
On Jun 4, 2016, MagicalEducator wrote:

Howie,

Thanks for your interest in my work but once again your comments are off topic and don't discuss the merits (or not) of my argument. I sent you a message with a link to a thread. You may not know about my work but I do know about your thoughts on hang mentalism to pick up girls. Check it out:Jeff

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......

Jeff,

My comments are not off topic, my question is right inline adding to what Joe had commented on and how you replied.

You judge members here, you boast that you are an educator and all you post on the Café is arguments, negative comments and you attempt to come off as superior to all members; you have been a member of the Café since 2003 and you have about 300 posts... not a very active contributor

What educational level have you achieved that qualifies you to ask active members to post videos for you to examine and critique?

I don't know why you would post a link that directs me to a thread that that has no bearing on my question, I don't know why you are PMing me...BTW, in the future don't PM me; just answer the question, who are you and what credentials have you achieved that elevates you to a level of a “magical educator” and post in a manner that conveys that you are superior to everyone here.

Joe in an earlier post made a statement that ' you haven't truly studied mentalism" you replied that "I'm not sure that you can make claims that I "...haven't truly studied mentalism" since you don't actually know my background'.

You are correct, no one knows your background and when you are questioned about your experience, your education or your training, you take great pains to avoid the question, but you want us to read your post and take what you say as authoritative.

Jeff; if the misdirection you attempt in the thread to avoid the question and posting unnecessary links is an indication of the misdirection you have learned in your studies, in my opinion, you should not be dispensing advice on the Café, you should be doing what I do, read the posts, be quiet and learn.

This post ends my communications with you in this thread; I have posted enough in this thread about your lack of credentials, if other members want to continue to post replies to your the random subjective and erroneous facts, at least they have been made aware of your deficiencies and shortcomings. [/quote

Howie,

Is your puppet posting again? I PM'd you because you PM'd me twice about this very topic. This was after you shared a mentalism script you're using to pick up women. Not surprisingly l and others have commented our opinions on this very creepy practice. I'm sorry that you didn't like my opinion but as you can see form the thread I provided there are several pages of people who feel exactly the same way I do. Since then you've trolled some of the few threads that I've posted on demanding to know who I am and what my background is. Gosh I wonder why people don't want to share personal information online?!

Jeff
Voted "Canada's Most Inspirational Magician"
Check out my column
"Magic is Education" @
www.VanishMagazine.com
Joe Atmore
View Profile
Elite user
Joe Atmore
422 Posts

Profile of Joe Atmore
And to be clear, I was referring to studying Dunninger's work and his influence on the public and mentalism and magic communities and the history thereof. Dunninger's work I certainly feel I am very well qualified to discuss.

Just like if Fogel's work was used to defend a position that was not correct, you might have Marks and Woodward set the record straight. Or Domingo for Nelson, etc.
Best Thoughts,

Joe Atmore
International Artists Consultant Uri Geller's Phenomenon TV Series;
PEA Bob Haines Memorial Award;
Dunninger Show Recreation;
Author of Dunninger Knows and Dunninger's Brain Busters

JosephAtmore.com
MagicalEducator
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of MagicalEducator
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2016, Joe Atmore wrote:
And to be clear, I was referring to studying Dunninger's work and his influence on the public and mentalism and magic communities and the history thereof. Dunninger's work I certainly feel I am very well qualified to discuss.

Just like if Fogel's work was used to defend a position that was not correct, you might have Marks and Woodward set the record straight. Or Domingo for Nelson, etc.

Thank you for sharing this Joe. I would love to hear more about why you think Dunninger did this. From the outside looking in it just seems so incongruent.

jeff
Voted "Canada's Most Inspirational Magician"
Check out my column
"Magic is Education" @
www.VanishMagazine.com
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17369 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2016, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2016, Slim King wrote:
Jeff says..."Donald....Trump....Milk..shake...Card...trick" .. This is an elemental concept that every mentalist should understand!

You forgot one. Slim...clueless.

Why do you insult someone who simply doesn't agree with you.....????? Seems childish to me. Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Childish? From me? LOL !!!

The irony is unbearable!
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3175 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Bob, I believe that would have been a good place for the dancing balloons....
New Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I resisted, because THAT would have been childish.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18030 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Up next, balloons and mentalism...who is full of hot air and a blowhard?
NEW - ECCE LOQUOR - how to read anything
http://www.lulu.com/shop/iain-dunford/ecce-loquor/paperback/product-24204371.html

BIG SALE ON...no code needed...
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17369 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Jim Callahan does balloons in his show ... So fun!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11906 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2016, Slim King wrote:
Jim Callahan does balloons in his show ... So fun!!!!

Yeah I remember that. Where is Jim these days?
billion
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of billion
Magic and mentalism are so commingled these days. I recently went to a 4 year old's birthday party, and the clown who started with juggling and magic tricks...even the clown started doing mentalism routines.

What kind of message does this spread? Even a clown can read minds.

Billion
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Elite user
In Your Thots
443 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Well, here's my 2c. Yes, you CAN be a magician AND a mentalist. Very much like you can be a drummer and a lawyer. Only that you cannot and should not perform both at the same time. You cannot 'drum' in a court while arguing your case. Similarly, you should not perform magic and mentalism in the SAME show. You will screw up both. IMHO
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
billion
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of billion
Good points!

Billion

Quote:
On Jun 12, 2016, IMAGINACIAN wrote:
Well, here's my 2c. Yes, you CAN be a magician AND a mentalist. Very much like you can be a drummer and a lawyer. Only that you cannot and should not perform both at the same time. You cannot 'drum' in a court while arguing your case. Similarly, you should not perform magic and mentalism in the SAME show. You will screw up both. IMHO
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Elite user
In Your Thots
443 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Thank you Billion. But you would not have expected that a question you asked on the Polarity thread (which I appreciate) will get asked to you yourself !

Did you plagiarize or not? Are you Lior Suchard or LIAR Suchard? YES or NO? And avoiding Bob may not be a good idea.

(btw sorry for the pun Lior Suchard - the real one)
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9391 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2016, IMAGINACIAN wrote:

I agree. I think what guys can't get straight is separating "can" from "should." There are many things one CAN do, the better question is SHOULD they? Most of the time the answer is no.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11906 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2016, billion wrote:
Magic and mentalism are so commingled these days. I recently went to a 4 year old's birthday party, and the clown who started with juggling and magic tricks...even the clown started doing mentalism routines.

What kind of message does this spread? Even a clown can read minds.

Billion

I do admit stuff like the above bothers me. More so earlier but still. I remember reading about MOABT and how a clown was doing it. Making mentalism into a trick I think is a disaster.

THat being said, consider this scenario. You are at a paid gig (nothing against novice just stay with me). There are little ones at this gig. You perform a few mentalism walkaround sets and the client or a parent walks over to you and ask if you can do some "tricks" for the little ones. Before you say anything, this is after a plethora of comments regarding your special gift, ie; how long have you had this gift etc.

Do you break out a TT if you have one in your go to bag? Do you do a little impromptu magic for the lad? Or do you stumble through some kiddie mentalism for the toddler while he stares into space having no clue what the heck you are doing?

Decomposing Discussion
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1637 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
There are certain mentalism routines that play quite well for children or adults. So you do those. They won't be as strong as some others but they do work. The key is to let the kids have fun and let the adults see that you entertained them while still being who you are.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11906 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I just don't have any for age 4 and under though. Five maybe.....Two and under is really tough...
Alexxander
View Profile
Elite user
Frankfurt, Germany
407 Posts

Profile of Alexxander
Why would you want to perform for children that young?!

If a parent would ask me to perform for their young kid, I would simply and politely decline and just talk to the kid..
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11906 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Because they are child perhaps. I want to please the client, ie, the parent. So you are saying there is no way you would ever perform a little magic for a young child? Well, we have to agree to disagree then. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Can you be a magician and mentalist?? (127 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9..19~20~21 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL