The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Penny for your thoughts Ľ Ľ Can you be a magician and mentalist?? (125 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19~20~21
Rhu
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Rhu
A juggler, possibly a bad juggler?
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1248 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On May 24, 2019, Rhu wrote:
Possibly a bad juggler?

Funny Smile
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1012 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
Iíve never weighed in on this topic before, finding it rather tiresome to argue about, but am chiming in here to relate a very recent incident that I believe is illustrative of some of the issues. I was speaking with someone who wanted to book me for a high-end birthday celebration in Newport Beach, a very expensive enclave on Californiaís coast. I spoke with the host, and asked about the relative makeup of the party goers. She said there would be all adults, except for a few youngsters under 5 years old. I told her that the very young might be a little restless, as I didnít perform as a magician, and there were not colorful and outsized props that children like. She said, no problem, and that they could keep them entertained elsewhere while I performed as a mentalist for the assemblage. I thought all was well and sent my booking agreement. When I hadnít heard back in a few days, I contacted her, and she said that they had decided instead to go with someone who would do kidís magic and mentalism in the same show. I donít know who they hired, but it is hard for me to think that this person will present hippity hop rabbits, breakaway wand, magic coloring book, and in the same show, perform mentalism in a manner with an appropriate level of believability and mystery that doesnít appear to just be magic tricks.

This isnít to say that someone canít do magic and mentalism. But to be taken seriously as a professional mentalist, do you really want to be doing kidís magic in the same show, with the same persona? How do you properly establish credibility as either? Go from Silly Billy to Max Maven in the space of the same performance? I think you would, of necessity, be shortchanging at least one of these aspects, and most likely both.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9259 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On May 25, 2019, jonnyboy wrote:
Iíve never weighed in on this topic before, finding it rather tiresome to argue about

There really isn't an argument or real debate on this. It really is quite simple - mentalists know and get this completely, end of story. Those that see this as an argument, personal preference or some kind of debate are simply magicians attempting to justify their own beliefs and wants.

As you clearly show here, the current landscape often lumps mentalism with magic and as part of magic, which causes great damage and of course greatly discredits actual mentalism. What happened here was a magician (who also does mentalism convinced her it was all the same and sure, quite possible to have magic and mentalism for the kids (while discrediting down the actual art of mentalism in the process, all of course for personal gain, without any regard to the actual industry.) This is just more of the continuation of the trivialization of mentalism at its best.

Sorry to hear of your loss.
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1012 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
Exactly, Mindpro. Not upset about the individual loss loss to me, but rather to what it portends for the future of mentalism. Anything for a buck and lack of respect for the art and other artists, whether that art is being a kidís magician (and boy, is that an art) or mentalism.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Penny for your thoughts Ľ Ľ Can you be a magician and mentalist?? (125 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19~20~21
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL