The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Butterfly Effect by Peter Nardi (55 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
IanB
View Profile
Regular user
Derby
190 Posts

Profile of IanB
So ... Is this the same methodology as the Marlo stop trick as predicted?
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of rowland
Wasn't today the release day for this. Haven't heard anything from Alakazam yet.
Luke Dancy
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
905 Posts

Profile of Luke Dancy
I sat down with Peter Nardi for an interview discussing the finer points of The Butterfly Effect.

https://soundcloud.com/murphysunplugged/......nterview
rosariorose9
View Profile
Special user
Kreskin guessed that I had
769 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Received mine today, and just finished my first viewing. Excellent, and imho, more than worth the cost as a 'single trick dvd.' By the way, regarding the issue of the originality of the effect vis a vis Marlo, etc., Peter credits on the dvd influences dating back to the 1950's. Weird, though, about Dave Forrest's identically named effect - which, while it seems to use the same method, is 'played out' in (again, imho) a decidedly less entertaining way...
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7534 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I thought Dave's version was terrible, how it was presented. The patter was cringe worthy. Kept repeating himself, again and again. The spec wasn't impressed at all. I won't be buying this though as it's far too similar to Forrest's version.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Special user
769 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2016, pegasus wrote:
I thought Dave's version was terrible, how it was presented. The patter was cringe worthy. Kept repeating himself, again and again. The spec wasn't impressed at all. I won't be buying this though as it's far too similar to Forrest's version.

Agree with you that Dave's version was pretty bad, but think you're missing out on a great (and SUPER easy to do) effect with this one. I generally do not like self-working tricks (see my earlier comment on Move Zero), but I really do love Peter's one here...
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6903 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Why is Daves bad? I'm curious becuse its based on a trick of mine that has always played great. Dave improved on my version. There are several principles in play, though, not just the one used in Peters trick.

Incidentally, I think Peters trick is very good,
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1444 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Mine arrived today and I am happy with the purchase.
Great little effect and simple to do.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3612 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Nice effect. Probably not something I'll use very often but a great almost-impromptu effect that can hit people hard if someone hands you a deck and you need to do something powerful for a group. As always, Peter gives several variations including some to speed up the process.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Special user
769 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2016, Cameron Francis wrote:
Why is Daves bad? I'm curious becuse its based on a trick of mine that has always played great. Dave improved on my version. There are several principles in play, though, not just the one used in Peters trick.

I can only say that my reaction was the same as that of the spec in his demo...i.e. I was underwhelmed. Curious, though, why he also calls his 'The Butterfly Effect', since there's no mention of that in his routine Smile
Richard Doyle
View Profile
Regular user
Maryland
125 Posts

Profile of Richard Doyle
Make sure you read the information on the business card for what I think is a better setup.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6903 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 11, 2016, rosariorose9 wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2016, Cameron Francis wrote:

I can only say that my reaction was the same as that of the spec in his demo...i.e. I was underwhelmed. Curious, though, why he also calls his 'The Butterfly Effect', since there's no mention of that in his routine Smile

There are many trick names that aren't mentioned in the patter to tricks themselves. Daves trick came out several years ago.
Magic McKing
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Magic McKing
It's not completely impromptu (somehow I thought it was before the purchase). But it's a fooler. I love the effect. Don't think I'll add this to my set because of what's required to get into it. It's a lovely piece I'd do as a stand alone for sure.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Special user
769 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Jun 11, 2016, Cameron Francis wrote:
There are many trick names that aren't mentioned in the patter to tricks themselves. Daves trick came out several years ago.

True what you're saying, and anything is possible...but it does seem odd that David's trick has the same name as does Peter's (which, by the way, he's been performing for about a decade). Weird coincidence? I guess so...
MoonyD
View Profile
New user
Sydney
15 Posts

Profile of MoonyD
Quote:
Quote:

True what you're saying, and anything is possible...but it does seem odd that David's trick has the same name as does Peter's (which, by the way, he's been performing for about a decade). Weird coincidence? I guess so...

I wouldn't read too much into it. It's quite a commonly used name really. I believe there was an effect by Bruno Copin called The Butterfly Effect as well (though that effect is completely different to this in terms of method and 'effect').
Yours Truly
Moony™ D.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6903 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

Uh, no. Dave's trick came out a long time ago. Dave did not steal Peter's trick or name. Peter's trick hadn't been released and quite possibly had no name. I don't know one magician who performs an effect and says, "This is called _________".

The main inspiration for Dave's effect was my trick, 18, which was in turn inspired by an Alex Elmsley effect (the name of which escapes me at the moment).

Peter's trick is quite good. He probably didn't know that Dave had already published a trick called Butterfly Effect.
simon hughes
View Profile
Veteran user
London
323 Posts

Profile of simon hughes
I picked this up on Friday and I ❤️ It! Just watched the bonus routine on Alakazm as well and that's double cool. Won of the best self workers I've seen.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5601 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2016, MoonyD wrote:

I believe there was an effect by Bruno Copin called The Butterfly Effect as well (though that effect is completely different to this in terms of method and 'effect').

There is another effect by the same name 'Butterfly Effect' by Andrew Mayne. Only the name is similar but it is completely different in terms of method and the effect.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5601 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
BTW one shall notice that there has been a spate of new releases which are copies of previously released methods with a slight twist here-N-there. Lets take one example of a company which IMO is ready to do anything they can get away with to make a quick buck, checkout - - - Polarity, The Butterfly Effect, X-Ray etc. Unless we magicians stand up against such actions, we will get much more in the future. Money is all that matters, they care less about our age-old ethics in Magic.

However we have one more age-old tradition in magic which falls under acceptable ethics - We magicians are allowed to cheat our own clan by false/cleverly worded advertising.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
M Pitcher
View Profile
Elite user
Around the block
422 Posts

Profile of M Pitcher
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2016, Ustaad wrote:
BTW one shall notice that there has been a spate of new releases which are copies of previously released methods with a slight twist here-N-there. Lets take one example of a company which IMO is ready to do anything they can get away with to make a quick buck, checkout - - - Polarity, The Butterfly Effect, X-Ray etc. Unless we magicians stand up against such actions, we will get much more in the future. Money is all that matters, they care less about our age-old ethics in Magic.

However we have one more age-old tradition in magic which falls under acceptable ethics - We magicians are allowed to cheat our own clan by false/cleverly worded advertising.

Smile

All the three effects you described have been released from three different companies.
So not really sure what you are saying here.

MP
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Butterfly Effect by Peter Nardi (55 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL