The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Butterfly Effect by Peter Nardi (59 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
lord_wallmotto
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of lord_wallmotto
Isn´t the trend of releasing tricks that would have been like 1 of 20 - 50 tricks in a book or 1 of 10 tricks on a dvd a couple of years ago as single trick dvds getting a bit ridiculous?

I am not saying that it is a bad trick, but come on.
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Getting one of Peter nardis pet effects for less than 20quid is a bargain I reckon , it's a killer
patrick66
View Profile
Veteran user
The Netherlands
384 Posts

Profile of patrick66
I so love this trick but why is this a magician's fooler?
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
The actual description can be copyrighted. The actual method of the trick can only be protected legally for 20 years. The method is slightly different in application but the basic arithmetic is the same. In this version, it is the handling and presentation that are very different. The presentation is much more entertaining. That is where there is value added, one that some are willing to pay for.

Quote:
On Jun 30, 2016, IanB wrote:
Sorry people but I'm still amazed that so many are still brushing past the facts that have already been raised earlier.

Maxyedid - Your spin on originality is IMHO way off base.

"I also have the following question: If I know a very good trick published in one of the old magazines, and this effect is really good and reputation making - now, I want to charge you $30 to say what to you what is that trick - is that worth it? I believe it is. So sometimes yes, it may be that someone is publishing an idea that has been published before in a similar way, however, if that idea was not part of the mainstream magic community and now I bring it to everyone's attention, why shouldn't I get a monetary compensation for that? (assuming of course, there are no copyright problems)."

If something wasn't created by you irrespective of copyright issues you simply cannot sell this to other people no matter how old the trick is. That's just wrong!! Hopefully common sense? In blunt terms you are stealing someone else's intellectual property. As has been pointed out by many ... Financial gain seems to be the motivation on projects like this and many others.

To repeat from earlier ... all that is being offered here is nothing more than a presentational spin and a way of revealing the card! Everything else is the exact method of Marlo's perfect stop trick. No exact credits given or proper references to the history behind it.

C'mon guys ... this does not warrant an individual release and that £20 could have been better spent supporting the originators and getting more bang for your bucks.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
HDMike
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of HDMike
Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I pulled the trigger and purchased this, should be here tomorrow. I know the effect that was introduced by Marlo and I was basically looking for a new creative way for presentation and in the revelation of the card. From watching the trailer, I believe this is what has been accomplished and this looks very interesting.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2016, patrick66 wrote:

Because it fools most people that call themselves a magician even though they shouldn't and, at best, have magic as a hobby on which they don't spend much time.

If you went, item by item, through Tarbell in most clubs where people call themselves magicians, the VAST majority of people would have no idea how you did most of the things.
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Peter?
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1995 Posts

Profile of Titanas
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2016, barts185 wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2016, patrick66 wrote:

Because it fools most people that call themselves a magician even though they shouldn't and, at best, have magic as a hobby on which they don't spend much time.

If you went, item by item, through Tarbell in most clubs where people call themselves magicians, the VAST majority of people would have no idea how you did most of the things.

That explains perfectly why it fooled me Smile

Best regards,
Titanas
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
HDMike
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of HDMike
Well, I do not call myself a Magician even thought I have been intrigued by Card Magic for many years. I do this for the enjoyment that I get with entertaining people and watching their reactions. This definitely fooled me even thought I know of some similar principals.
IanB
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby
262 Posts

Profile of IanB
The sycophants are still trying hard to justify what should have been released in a set of lecture notes or as an extra on a DVD. Purely as an idea/variation on the original.

Full credit should have been given to the origins of the effect.

Overtly or covertly this has been spun as if it was Peters creation, which it isn't, other than a presentational angle. Please, let's not insult each other's intelligence.

If people are prepared to pay for this kind of thing and support such activities then more fool them.

God help us if this is the future of our art!!
lord_wallmotto
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 2, 2016, Karl M wrote:
Getting one of Peter nardis pet effects for less than 20quid is a bargain I reckon , it's a killer

I am not saying that the trick isn't any good. However, this is a slight version of an old trick which appears in books and on many great dvds which are filled with other great effects. It is also an effect which should not take much more than a couple of minutes to teach anyone. It could probably be done in two minutes and you would be more than fine.

This trick should have been a 5$ download or one of many tricks on a multiple effect dvd.

Again, not saying that the trick isn't any good. Its a good trick. However, I do like the original more.
HDMike
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of HDMike
Just received this and watched the DVD. Just a couple of comments:
Yes I agree that the prediction cards do not really add anything to the effect, I would rather just write down the prediction after shuffling and cutting the cards.

I also agree that this could have easily been a download for a cheaper cost, however, I love the method and the different delivery and presentation approaches.

Peter teaches this very well and offers other ideas and alternate ways to perform the routine. Overall I am happy with the purchase and plan to use this in the right situations.
lord_wallmotto
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

I think that most of the material published in books can be considered to be "magician foolers" when performing for magicians who got into magic after the early year 2000. I met many quite talented magicians who never read a book and has absolutely no idea of who Vernon or Marlo was.
moiici
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of moiici
moiici
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of moiici
Quote:
On Jul 18, 2016, moiici wrote:
New link.

Have you seen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afn7CNaYcv8

and this thread: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=206
Fero
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of Fero
Love this trick... Spectators get stoned.
The only negative is the price. Could have be done with a streaming/download video.
Anyway my vote on this:
8/10
MikeTheRed
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of MikeTheRed
Will someone that has this PM me. I lost the included small card with the alternative set up and I have a question.

Much appreciated,

Mike
MikeTheRed
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of MikeTheRed
My question was answered. Thanks to those that responded! Smile
Patrice
View Profile
New user
FRANCE, Normandy, Rouen
19 Posts

Profile of Patrice
See also Aldo Colombini's DVD Effective Card Routines. The routine Add-Acadabra uses the same principle (K.....L principle) with a double prediction : first, predicting a number found adding the value of all the face-up cards. Second, predicting the last face-up card.
This is done with a gag using one sheet of paper with several numbers - and the good number is at the back of the paper. And also using another sheet of paper showing all the 52 cards - the selected card is also at the back of the paper.
a brown 1968
View Profile
Elite user
471 Posts

Profile of a brown 1968
I enjoyed seeing the premise for the effect but prefer to do it with a borrowed shuffled deck and ask the spectator at the start how many times the spectator would like to make a choice 2,3,4 5 etc Using a prediction card on the table which can be a closed or an open one .

Andy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Butterfly Effect by Peter Nardi (59 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL