The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Butterfly Effect by Peter Nardi (55 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
On The Offbeat
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of On The Offbeat
Not making any accusations here or trying to stir up the nest but I just thought it was very strange that the effects put out by Dave Forrest and Peter Nardi not only have the same name but are very similar in effect and method from what I can tell (I don't own either but they appear quite similar to me.) It's like Peter had stored it away in his sub-conscious without remembering where the original idea came from or something. That actually happens quite a bit.

But again, I love practically all of Peter and Alakazam's releases and have high respect for him and his company. They've never done me wrong. Just seems like quite a coincidence.
I believe if Peter wasn't so well-liked and respected by his peers around the world a much bigger to-do would be made of this here by all of the usual suspects.
IanB
View Profile
Regular user
Derby
190 Posts

Profile of IanB
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2016, Ustaad wrote:
BTW one shall notice that there has been a spate of new releases which are copies of previously released methods with a slight twist here-N-there. Lets take one example of a company which IMO is ready to do anything they can get away with to make a quick buck, checkout - - - Polarity, The Butterfly Effect, X-Ray etc. Unless we magicians stand up against such actions, we will get much more in the future. Money is all that matters, they care less about our age-old ethics in Magic.

However we have one more age-old tradition in magic which falls under acceptable ethics - We magicians are allowed to cheat our own clan by false/cleverly worded advertising.

Smile

It's interesting Ustaad. If you follow this thread from the start I posted several times clearly stating the exact method with accurate sources to check. No one challenged my comments appropriately.
I have already stated that IMHO for this to be released was not justifiable. It seems that most people ignored my comments and many could have saved themselves £20 and supported the originator/s and got much more value for money.
If a "no name" magician did this they would be jumped on by the mob but because this has been done by a "big name" in our community the sycophants are choosing to ignore it.
Can't begin to describe how this frustrates me particularly when some people suggest that because an item has been unavailable for some time it's okay for someone else to release it.
It seems honesty and integrity are not a priority. I hope I'm wrong ...
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1222 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
IanB unfortunately it's a pattern on our society and I understand how frustrate it can be but there's nothing we can do.

There's some who can do and are praised and others who can't, cool hein?
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6906 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Peters effect may share a methodology to others but the EFFECT and procedure is different than some of the others mentioned
On The Offbeat
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of On The Offbeat
Quick update to my previous post...I got to spend some time with a magic buddy today who happens to own both Dave Forrest's Butterfly Effect as well as Peter Nardi's trick of the same name. He told me that although there are some similarities both the effects and methods are different. He said Dave Forrest credits Cameron Francis as the inspiration for his routine (as Cameron has stated earlier in this thread) and received permission from Cameron to release his version of the effect. And also that Peter credits Peter Kane and a very old IBIDEM as the earliest sources he could find for his trick.

So best I can tell thus far is that no one seems to be stepping on the toes of anyone else here. The naming of the trick was apparently just a coincidence.
I'm unfamiliar with any of the things IanB mentioned but someone else will have to research and compare those. I'm satisfied that all is well in magicland again (for the moment anyway.)
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6906 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
No one except you said anyone was stepping on anyone's toes in terms of Dave's and Peter's effects. Smile
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5614 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2016, IanB wrote:

If a "no name" magician did this they would be jumped on by the mob but because this has been done by a "big name" in our community the sycophants are choosing to ignore it.

That is exactly the problem. One can give all the references/reasoning/logic but nobody cares if a big-wig is involved. Very few are left with the moral, integrity and honesty to speak & support the truth.

In this case Peter being a gentleman doesn't have his clan of hoodlums but does enjoy the support of his followers and friends who will go all out to support him whether right or wrong, good or bad.

Over the years at the Café, I have seen that before releasing such effects, they (the creator/distributor) have their supporters and their hype machines well in place. They are all setup as a group to thrash anybody who don't support their knock-off releases. I also notice that there are just a few members left on the Café who standup and expose such kind of notorious business. This is quite sad and not good for the magic community as a whole. But in today's world (where money only matters) - Who Cares!?

Back on topic please.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7568 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Very true Ustaad. Well said.
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
875 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
I agree with you Ustaad. The magic marketplace is spiraling down quickly. Lots of rehashes and uncredited releases but only is allowed to slip through because of the 'hype machine'.

I really wish we can go back to our original ways of learning magic. Books that dissect a routine is acceptable. Books with multiple effects, routines, and ideas, are great. DVDs/Downloads with multiple effects are also great.

But this current trend of single-trick downloads/dvds that cost as much as a book sometimes is just outrageous; more so when not properly credited. Sometimes, the explanation just go through it with basic mechanics and they call it a release.

I am not bashing this release because I do not have it and I do not think I will get it. The effect and/method may work for some but just the fact that the creators and/or the hypers did not bother to address the concerns of both ethics and final product worries me.

Anyhow, all the best to all. And more importantly, all the best to 'magic'!
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1838 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Nothing speaks louder then where we spend our money.

Good magic to all,

Eric
larotule
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of larotule
Impromptu : "made or done without previous preparation"

Quote:
On Jun 6, 2016, Titanas wrote:
Hey all,
As Christopher Williams said its not a gimmicked card.
Also since almost always I perform it with a borrowed deck I consider this to be an impromptu miracle.
I have a specific routine that leads me to the preparation I need.

Best regards,
Titanas

Impromptu for the magic world :

made or done without previous preparation : "Bloody Wholly" impromptu
St*cking 25 % of the deck : impromptu
St*cking a full deck : almost-impromptu ?
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Karl M
I don't know why everyone is giving peter the banjo about it all the time maybe the mouths should release their own stuff and see what its like
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
875 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
@Karl M: Personally, I once tried to release something that I came up with and I happened to ask different people about it. At one point, I was told that someone had something similar so I should not release it.

I approached that person and he denied anything similar but pointed me to yet another person. And the chain continues.

In the end, it was not worth releasing simply because it was along the lines of someone else's work.

So yeah, trying to release something is not easy. But that does not give us any leeway in releasing something without proper research.

At least, addressing these issues when potential customers inquire is the right way to approach things here.

If one stands by their products, then addressing customer concerns is a no-brainer.

And with all that said, it does not matter whether we try to release something or not, as long as we agree on what is the right way to do this.

Anyhow, I really wish Peter and the rest of Alakazam the best with this release.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1213 Posts

Profile of Jared
I watched this tonight and like it very much. Like many, it won't be something that I do all frequently but for the "right time- right place" this is quite excellent. The method and handling is so simple that you could forget about for a while and still be able to perform it capably in a moments notice without having to go back and re-watch the DVD. Also, the parlor handling is really nice for intimate gatherings when you want it to play a little larger...Well done.
Scott
View Profile
Special user
UK
537 Posts

Profile of Scott
Just watched this to see what all the fuss is about.

OK method and who invented it, tweaked it stole it etc etc aside.

As a full time mentalist (and remember this is my opinion) this is everything I hate in a mental flavoured card routine, I won't call it mentalism because it ticks very few of the criteria boxes I require ticked before I'll start working on the scripting etc for a routine.

First of all the prediction card printed on the back of a joker, hate it, please write the prediction on a business card or post it as an advert in the newspaper.

You shuffle that half I'll shuffle this, yeah OK but the audiences I work for will smell a rat straight away.

And finally one of my pet hates, deal to a card, that card will tell you where to deal to next (but you can change your mind so why bother counting to a card anyway) the next card will tell you where to deal to next, and so on and so forth, what a convoluted and tedious way to arrive at a prediction card, no matter how abstract the tenuous link to the patter.

Borrow a deck, let the audience shuffle it, write a prediction, force the relevant card. (again just my opinion).

Regards

Scott
Scott Creasey - Mind Reader

Original Routines With A Mental Flavour

http://www.mentalmagicism.com/
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1622 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2016, Karl M wrote:
I don't know why everyone is giving peter the banjo about it all the time maybe the mouths should release their own stuff and see what its like

"All the time"? Hardly. Peter's a popular member on here as far as I can tell. But this trick is - as other's have pointed out - just a variation on Marlo's Perfect Stop Trick and others and in no way merits the single trick DVD treatment and all the rest of it.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1213 Posts

Profile of Jared
For certain, it should have been a download priced at around $9.95. The cards and the DVD format add no extra value. I also agree with Scott's opinion about the joker reveal. Writing it down on a business card makes more sense.

Scott's Quote:
"And finally one of my pet hates, deal to a card, that card will tell you where to deal to next (but you can change your mind so why bother counting to a card anyway) the next card will tell you where to deal to next, and so on and so forth, what a convoluted and tedious way to arrive at a prediction card, no matter how abstract the tenuous link to the patter."

I agree that the process takes time and is a bit convoluted for paid gigs. But to perform it sitting down at a pub with a friend; I think it's fine. Like I said earlier, it's one of those "right time- right place" effects.
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2016, Ross W wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2016, Karl M wrote:

"All the time"? Hardly. Peter's a popular member on here as far as I can tell. But this trick is - as other's have pointed out - just a variation on Marlo's Perfect Stop Trick and others and in no way merits the single trick DVD treatment and all the rest of it.

You just did reinforce my idea and gave Pete the banjo about his trick
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7568 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I cannot believe this is being sold as a standalone effect. I'm shocked that it's been released by Nardi if I'm honest.
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Its driving me mad that every one keeps giving Peter the banjo, leave it out yeah
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Butterfly Effect by Peter Nardi (55 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL