The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Two Person Mind Reading (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rodan
View Profile
New user
Sydney Australia
65 Posts

Profile of Rodan
I 'm looking for some ideas or points of reference for two person acts.
I'm not really keen on effects where one person leaves the room, more where both stay the whole time.
I know some folk here do things like this... Leondo?
Any ideas appreciated.
Rodan
"To assert the impossibility of a fact comes to the same thing as saying that it has not as yet been observed; nothing authorises us to decide that it will never be observed." Joseph Maxwell 1858-1938
Cornelius
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Cornelius
I reccomend Annemann, Corinda, and the Falkensteins on this subject.
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Best I've ever seen: Falkenstein and Willard. And they have vids available!
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Start with the book "How to develop Mental Magic" by Paul Hadley. You can usually find a cheap copy at H & R Books, Michael Cannick, etc....which will give you the basics you need for learning the two person code act.

Then if you can find it, track down the Tommy and Liz Tucker system (considerably more expensive than the Hadley book though) and you should be well set to invest the several years of practice you will require to be able to start to work on your two person act, and be prepared for the long, hard hours that will go into making your act flow smoothly. It is not as easy as it looks.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
The EASIEST method on earth can be found @ Magus Magic in the UK under the title "Lightning Telepathy"... no code! Can be "Mastered" in under an hour's rehearsal time. When used as the foundation to a code styled system YOU WILL DEVESTATE the mind of layment and pro alike (I know, I use this system along with a few of my own twists and it has left learned magi baffled!)

http://www.magus.worldaccess.co.uk/Home.htm
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Rodan
View Profile
New user
Sydney Australia
65 Posts

Profile of Rodan
Thanks for your input gentelmen, that gives me some good leads to work with.
"To assert the impossibility of a fact comes to the same thing as saying that it has not as yet been observed; nothing authorises us to decide that it will never be observed." Joseph Maxwell 1858-1938
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
George Hallas has a terrific two person routine called Good and Bad Vibrations in his book Mindful Mentalism 3. I and my associate believe it has tremendous potential and are working on incorporating it into our two man show, "Mental Wizardry."

As to your two person act, are you looking at the traditional woman as a medium type and the man as the facilitator and mentalist? Or are you, as we did, looking for something different?

Since you intend to do this professionally, I am sure that as astute as you are, you recognize the enormous amount of work and practice involved in an act such as the Faulkenstein's have. In discussing it with them, they said that they literally practice, even now, day and night. They spent a long time rehearsing before they even attempted to present their act to a paying audience.

Since I and my associate have our own families and lives to live, we use what I would term a non-traditional two person mentalism act. If this is of more interest to you, let me know and I will do a post on our approach.
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Rodan
View Profile
New user
Sydney Australia
65 Posts

Profile of Rodan
Well Lee, I must say it is a longer term plan.
My daughter is interested in getting involved and so I felt it would be good to cast a net here to see what would swim in.
I'm sure I would not be the only one interested in a few more details about your approach to this act.
Alex Reeve
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Alex Reeve
You can also check a book called "the world of mentalism" by Volta Hull and a book called "en Rapport" by Annemann.
From there you will have plenty of ideas to do your own system.
John Pezzullo
View Profile
Veteran user
Sydney AUSTRALIA
354 Posts

Profile of John Pezzullo
Rodan,

It's good to see someone else from Sydney participating in "The Magic Cafe".

If you want to dive right into the deep end, the very deep end, Stevens Magic Emporium (USA) are selling a booklet titled "The Cézanne Code":

http://stevensmagic.com/currentcatalog/e......msme.asp

It's not cheap at $USD 155.00, but the material contained within may prove to be a most valuable source of ideas and techniques. I'd say that it will require a lot of hard work and dedication to gain any sort of proficiency with this type of code.

Regards,

John
"One arrow. One life."
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
Well Rodan, routines for our two man show, Mental Wizardry, vary from show to show because we have some repeat audience members; however, we do routinely perform audience favorites, i.e., our versions of Pseudo Psychometry, The Multiple Book Test, and Q&A. We perform at the Mercury Cafe in Denver, CO in a theater setting.

Here is one of our programs.
-Opening
-Psychological Forces. To get audience involvment.
-ESP Test. A multi-part routine involving telepathy between audience members, my associate and myself.
-Solo performance. I or my partner normally do 3 effects.
-The Multiple Book Test.
Intermission
-Pseudo Psychometry
-Solo performance. Whichever of us did not do the earlier solo performance, now performs.
-Q&A.
So there it is. Obviously, except for the solo performances, the other routines are two person routines. Every one of our effects involves the audience. They are often give credit for the success of the routine. We prefer this approach rather than us coming across as some omnipotent performers deriving mysterious powers from our extended stays in Tibet, etc.. That is not modern mentalism. Of course our sole intent is to entertain our audiences which we hear we do. Hope this gives you some insight into a two person act that is not quite as traditional as some.
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Rodan
View Profile
New user
Sydney Australia
65 Posts

Profile of Rodan
Thanks Lee, I appreciate your time in doing this. It reads great.
Also thanks again to all other contributors, my 'net' runneth over.
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC / NOVA
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
Quote:
On 2002-06-30 11:36, Thoughtreader wrote:
Start with the book "How to develop Mental Magic" by Paul Hadley. You can usually find a cheap copy at H & R Books, Michael Cannick, etc....which will give you the basics you need for learning the two person code act.

Then if you can find it, track down the Tommy and Liz Tucker system (considerably more expensive than the Hadley book though) and you should be well set to invest the several years of practice you will require to be able to start to work on your two person act, and be prepared for the long, hard hours that will go into making your act flow smoothly. It is not as easy as it looks.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat

Thanks for referring to the Hadley book, Paul. I actually found a copy at a Magic Castle swap meet last Fall. I'm definitely interested in using that code as a starting point, although it looks like we will have to update and personalize some aspects.

For everyone else, please avail yourselves of an opportunity to watch the Evasons perform. Nice work, and very subtle. Smile
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
Brash
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of Brash
Choosing a system is the easy part, the key (and the reason there are so few "good" acts) is practice, years of it. Which is why most two person acts are husband and wife.

I also have to echo Vic's recommendation to see the Evasons. They are simply amazing. You can get more info on them at www.evason.com
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
I recently had an opportunity to listen to the cd about the Piddingtons. I got it through a dealer, but I think Martin Breese puts it out. It was absolutely inspiring. Listening to Mrs. Piddington "receiving" an impression was about the most convincing demonstration of thougt reading I've ever encountered. You won't find any methods in the cd, but if you want to experience the craft at its pinnacle you'll give it a listen.

--Christopher Carter
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
Rodan,
Sorry for the late reply. Liz and I have been "on the road" for a couple of weeks.
I think a father/daughter code act would be hard to beat. It leaves open many possibilities.
I can vouch for the fact that if you intend to do a two person act for longer than a few minutes, it is a SERIOUS commitment to practicing.
As you've already been advised, there are many codes from which to work and no matter which one you choose, you will change it to your own "version" over time.
Good luck and email me if I can help.
Ted (Leondo)
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
May I just mention 'Person to Person' by Lewis Jones. It's a book of telephone telepathy, and I know that's not your main focus. However, if you're getting into two-person mind-reading and telepathy routines then I do think you'll enjoy many of the ideas contained therein. LJ is a very smart thinker indeed.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
Rodan, you may also want to take a look at at old booklet (1953 I believe) titled "Automentalism" by Ken deCourcy.It's the type of program that you and your daughter could put to use fairly quickly as there is nothing for the reciver(medium) to memorize and in fact the sender has no memory work either.
Ted (Leondo) speaks from experience with this type of work so he's the man to ask for advice. I do think however, he would agree that if you can get your daughter working as soon as possible and succeeding it will inspire her to take on the study necessary to progress with the more complex aspects of the work.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana
Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Two Person Mind Reading (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL