The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Video for retention vanish (39 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Just beautiful! Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
His mano lift and the mano alignment move are a thing of beauty. he seldom performs for video anymore because several of his slights were used without his permission and he never received credit
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
MB said--- The thing to realize here is that these things happen within a larger moment of being. In his video "demonstrations" you can (if you want), zero-in on every move to find the slightest imperfection. But in the reality of presentation, it would be very hard to do so.

So, in a way, all of this is sorta like pin-pointing a missed note-or-two within a beautiful song…Most folks likely would not notice, and in the extreme case that you might notice, you probably wouldn't remember…aka… The larger motion covers the smaller one (not to mention the chicanery of the re-established logic all mixed in) Smile…or something like that. Smile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
Quote:
On Jun 24, 2016, dj wrote:
Have a look at this thing of beauty of Mano:
FC attack and My take on ROV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIu-UHGZMMc

Mano, you have sent me this video of you. That's a long time ago.
I uploaded this video on my youtube channel(not public, only for the particular user).

If you have something against it, I'll delete it.

Hey Darko,

Thanks for your kind words.

Is fine brother, you can leave it for a few days. This was actually a trailer, not a routine, that I was going to publish as a download about 5 or 6 years ago at mrvlous.com, however the site never opened. I'm somewhat glad, because since then I've come up with even more applications using the move. I contacted some people about publishing the move a couple of weeks ago but as always was let hanging and did not get a reply or call back. Anyway this time around I will find a way to share my favorite move in coin magic with you guys.

Marion,Godfather thanks guys.

Stay well.

Mano.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2896 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Hey Mano, Glad you're thinking of putting some of your work out there.
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2016, Mano wrote:

Hey Darko,

Thanks for your kind words.
Is fine brother, you can leave it for a few days.

Mano.

I'll do that Mano.

dj
Zee
View Profile
Regular user
Leonia, NJ
196 Posts

Profile of Zee
Here is one of my take on retention vanish. It is variation of Takuma Ukawa's retention vanish. I tried to elimininate all the telltale signs of original version.

It is just a practicing drill, I DO NOT just show off moves like this to "real people". Also, please excuse the video site. I am currently in China filming a few other projects so I have no access to my Youtube channel. I am planning to release this variation of retention later this year.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XOTM0MTAwMz.......8-1-1.2

And I have released a download prviously with Lost Art Magic and it is called Retention Z. It has some great reviews so I thought you might want to check it out.

https://lostartmagic.com/shop/shop/download/retentionz/

Demo: https://www.instagram.com/p/BEzM-NWSdod/

If you do not like my style, Siwei Li also released a download with Art of Magic. A great guy with great talent. His approach is to moves is slower and softer than mine, so.. if anyone is interested, definitely worth checking out.

I personally think retention does not have to be as precise as those ones I shared in Retention Z, but it is still good to be able to do it nicely and not always rely on heavy misdirection. There will be always that one guy does not get misdirected and I practice for those stuborn spectators.

If you like my style and my thinking, I will be starting a blog soon and will be sharing my touches and thoughts on sleights and routines for free on my upcoming blog Smile

Zee
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2016, Zee wrote:
Here is one of my take on retention vanish.

It's very well done. I'm sure you could make a living with just that!

P!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Y'know, if you just look in Bobo's New Modern Coin Magic, the basic Retention Vanish explained there is about the basic genesis of how this move is done. Learn that one pretty well and you'll have one about as good as any, IMHO. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

Hare
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of Hare
I have a question.

Coin magician's tend to talk about "The Retention Vanish" as if it were a very specific, exacting move, which incorporates a certain way of holding a coin in the fingertips and moving it to a specific hidden hold.

Isn't the "flash" of the coin as it "goes" is "taken" or "dropped" or "tossed" into the other hand really what differentiates this effect or move or passé, from other such passes?

Do we think all passes that use a persistence of vision illusion as retention passes?

Or, is this only my take on the subject?

I am fairly familiar with the history of the passé and especially Dai Vernon's version of the move.

My question is more of a philosophical one, I think, rather than one about who created what.

When is a persistence of vision passé with a coin, not the standard effect we have come to know?
"Better described in The Amateur Magician's Handbook"
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2016, Hare wrote:
Coin magician's tend to talk about "The Retention Vanish" as if it were a very specific, exacting move, which incorporates a certain way of holding a coin in the fingertips and moving it to a specific hidden hold.

Isn't the "flash" of the coin [...] what differentiates this effect or move or passé, from other such passes?

It's not just the flash. It's the flash in the put with the other hand closing. There are other moves with a flash that are quite different. For example, Gary Ouellet had a a great retention of vision in his French drop. But it's a completely different move, with a different impact, and a different use, you might say. That being said, the RoV vanish can be used without the flash, just as a way to conceal a coin that we didn't put, such as when Mickey Silver puts a coin under a card. In that case, there's no RoV, just a good fake put. In all cases, the tecnhical discussions are about the execution of the move, so that your fingers tell as little as possible, I'd say.

P!

P!
Zee
View Profile
Regular user
Leonia, NJ
196 Posts

Profile of Zee
[/quote]
It's very well done. I'm sure you could make a living with just that!

P! [/quote]

Hahahaha Thank you Smile
FrankHorng
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of FrankHorng
I am sure if you learn from Eric's DVD step by step and pay lots of time to practice, everyone can do as well as the vedio shows
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
892 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Thinking of buying this.
I think he's taking the ROV to another level. I see similar techniques from other people (mentioned here), but I haven't seen anyone do it that fast with no extending of the fingers to "steal" the coin. I might just buy this to see how his mechanics work.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Hare makes some excellent points. What everyone needs to realize is that the retention vanish is just a move. No one should make too much of a move. As long as you can influence someone to think that you placed a coin into the other hand, you have accomplished your goal, regardless of the type of move you executed. When the move becomes the focus of the trick, you are putting too much heat on yourself.
One other thought - when doing a trick or move on film, you remove a layer of natural misdirection. Something that is very deceiving in real time performance may be obvious on video, because your field of vision will focus on a small screen, not a real person in live performance. Years ago, Roth revealed his open servante. It fried magicians who saw him perform it. It fried the attendees at the New York Coin Magic Seminar. It fried Penn and Teller. But when I released a clip of him using this technique, it was blasted by the Café. Alex Conradi won a national close up competition with this technique, and fried people at the Magic Castle when he used it. So when we watch a video, trust that what may be obvious to you, especially knowing the context of the display, may not be obvious at all in real life.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
Just for giggles, here is a video from long ago.

https://youtu.be/HLHH9K0bxIs

I am not a fan of ROV. It is a move that attracts attention to the technology of magic.
It is not a technology of magic deception unless skillfully used. But magic kids dwell on it.
Most of this stuff is wow for magician but the layman will say, "Its in the other hand." Doesn't matter if it is or isn't.
The magic is in their minds, not ours.
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Absolutely agree that, "The magic is in their minds..." Been saying that here since I came to better understand how all this works. Smile

Good morning, and enjoyed your demonstrations Al, so many ways to do this and especially enjoyed the little "tip-up." Smile

The ROV is a great move especially when used within a routine, such as what Mickey Silver does with it (which I believe is unique demonstration of a higher level as to the science in application of the move). I've not seen anyone specifically use the move in & of itself any better in a collected method of routine. Has anyone?

The move has its merits and is a great way to lead specs one way more visually as you go off another. Some might say a fake-put or pass works just as well, I guess it depends on what you're doing or what you simply prefer. But it's always better to have more than one way out, in fires or magic. Smile The move certainly has its place, and I guess it really is so eye-catching that indeed people (specs & magis) do see/ feel it as somewhat unique, mostly because it actually is, more so than not. Smile

Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
My point in doing this, a long time ago, was to show that one can do just about anything and it looks like ROV.
Some of this I got from Michael Rubinstein's meetings or DVD's, can't remember which as it was long ago.
But look at the first one, Vernon's. And it looks very, very good. And it requires little skill.
He came up with it long ago. I mean really long ago.
Why are so many people getting excited about ROV as it has been around for so long.
And the ones I see would not make a dent in fooling the masses.
They just say, "Boy that guy has fast hands."
To the public this stuff appears as fancy juggling.
I think this stuff labels magic something that is for kids.
Two months ago I approached a senior center where I live to do some shows for seniors.
The people that ran the center could only talk about doing shows for kids.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Lol Al, loved the video! My own retention techniques are ALL based on Al Schneider's snap back vanish. That little book Al Schneider on coins, meant more to me than all of Bobo. Do not discount what Al is pointing out in his demonstration.Just do the move the way you feel is best for you, and stop looking for that holy grail.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
Strange you mention Al Schneider on Coins.
That was the second book I published back in 1965.
I printed 1000 and sold through ads in IBM and Genii.
Some dealers ordered it.
Ran out and printed another 1000.
That is very difficult because you are spending money to print 1000 to fulfill one order.
The book business is tough.
But I sold those also in a few years.
Later I set the type with some software I wrote and made new pics from the book.
They did not look very good.
But I put it up on amazon dot com and it started selling.
I think that book and Matrix caused somewhat of a revolution in the coin industry in the late 60's and early 70'S.
No one will agree with me.
In the late 70's people started showing me stuff that came from that book.
Coins seemed to suddenly came of age and coin tricks became just a boring as card tricks.
All the best.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Video for retention vanish (39 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL