The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Video for retention vanish (39 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Entertainment meets killer coin magic. My coin work sets are a mixture of cerebral to silly.

Where else would you hear
Beethoven's Ode to Joy played on a harmonica with his nose.

Harmonicas make great wands and direction.

Harris
& his nose - As seen on The Ellen Show
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2017, vinsmagic wrote:
Mickey silver is a magical performer a showman....a entertainer .
there are many technical performers with unbelievable skills but are very boring,,,,,and do not entertain,

Mickey adds entertainment to the magic through his personality. Al lets the magic do the entertainment alone. They both do these things well. Both are valid approaches and both work in their given context. It just goes back to what you like better.
Reality is a real killjoy.
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2017, evikshin wrote:
But what about 1-Coin-Routines? It makes no sense to misdirect away from false transfers here, if you were going to do that, you might as well not have them watch you perform (after all it's a bunch of false transfers strung together!). Sure, there is definitely "direction of attention" of the spectator in all good 1-Coin-Routines, but this is somewhat of a different topic from misdirecting AWAY from the false transfer. Sure, the moves can be made to be motivated to give the routine it's own magical logic and to smooth things out, but again, different.

So in a 1 coin routine we put attention on the fact that a coin is transfered and it is good while it is bad to do it in a multiple coins routine.
What a curious thing ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6HwRAfJBWA specially the 1 coin rotine from 6:30
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I know, I know, this is about coins, who's better, what's different, who knows it all and who don't know squat...A quick respite here...Just had to share this, but look at the progress, thinking, creativity and advanced ability forged from such initial ideas... Don't get lost because there are no coins and or the cards aren't faced down. Smile Thank God for the BIG, small, and all of us...Mostly the "all." Smile

Just take a quick look and then back to our show...Enjoy! Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Hi AL you asked me the difference between the two demos.

first if I was a spectator a lay person I would be amazed by both videos

as a magician in your demo you are using a prop and different coins and the are changing places, and you are telling exactly what is going to happen .as the magic happens,, How ever you are also using dupe coins and there is the absence of the performer,only hands are in play

mickeys video he tells the audience about slight of hand and proceeds with the coins across effect . however you also see mickey with his facial expressions, his acting and he is telling a story with his body language for me his video is more entering than yours.Mickey is only using six coins and for me this is more amazing, speaking like a magician..

finally both effects achive the same results both are good.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Hare
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of Hare
Whenever I look at threads filled with beautifully constructed routines and amazing ROV technique -like this one, I am pulled back 45 years ago when I was first performing magic in rural southwestern Pa.

There was no internet. No video. If you wanted to learn a move, you first had to see someone perform on television by chance to suspect it even existed, or stumble upon it in Hay, Bobo, Tarbell, Hugard, Hilliard or the pages of Genii.

I had very occasional contact with exactly two magicians.

Today, we live in a tiny world where brother and sister magi can share at will, on a real time basis. We can instantly film and watch ourselves....something unimaginable then.

With all that incredible technology at our fingertips, we need to be wiser than ever about how we treat one another.

a few harsh words, and we can hurt our fellows who love magic just as much as we do as easily as demonstrate or teach.

Everyone in the fraternity of magic tends to be the sort who loves the limelight. Think about it.

What other profession basks single performers so individually in the glow of stardom? Actors work in groups playing off one another. Musicians typically share their art in an orchestra or band. Both rely on whole technical corps of folks to produce them.

Painters and writers hide behind their art- it is their product that gets the applause, not they.

Of all the arts, sleight of hand workers are among the few who combine charismatic real time performing with technical study behind the scenes that requires years of study towards proficiency. Often coin workers construct their own routines, and often they create new effects, fresh ways of working making them inventors along with everything else.

I think this tendency towards being all things-creator, technician and lone performer has the tendency to make sleight of hand performers rather unique among artists.

Part of these qualities are a perfectly natural tendency to be proud of their accomplishments, and it goes without saying that a sleight of hand magician needs to be supremely confident in what they do in front of an audience to succeed.

I think a "contest" to see who is "greatest" at one thing or another in hand magic is about the poorest idea ever-

- it's akin to the beautiful but vain queen forever asking her magic mirror unwise questions. Bound to go bad in so many ways. Especially when there are many equally vain, beautiful royals about also touting enchanted looking glasses!
"Better described in The Amateur Magician's Handbook"
scotchrocket
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
120 Posts

Profile of scotchrocket
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2017, Hare wrote:
With all that incredible technology at our fingertips, we need to be wiser than ever about how we treat one another.

This is great advice to keep in mind for so many things in life. Thanks for the reminder.
All about borrowed coins.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Video for retention vanish (39 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL