The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Suggestions for impromptu effects. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Leonil
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Leonil
Hi everyone, I have been a lurker for a while, and recently have had much success with Steve Shaw's work with PK time, PK touches and his Pre-thoughts. I have been getting in and out of rope handcuffs and while my forte has been card tricks, I have fallen in love with mentalism. Mainly the kind that only really needs a band or lots of practise (and sometimes a stolen spoon or fork)

So I have come to you all to ask, where do I go now? I love the idea of having nothing in my pockets and doing PK. I am interested in the effects you all would recommend I look at to extend my skills. I was floored when I saw Banachek guess over and over again the number on a die that was hidden from his view, or how he can read a serial number off a note. I am aware of these effects, some are released, some are not - but I would love to know and recommend names of magicians to follow or the names of the effects people swear by as I plan on just getting better at what I currently do... because its just fun.

Thanks muchly in advance!
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
The Latest and Greatest forum has much of what you are looking for.
Leonil
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Leonil
Thanks for the reply Jaizon - I thought about posting there, but I was hoping to see if there are classic effects of note. For example, the PK touch was something that I would never have heard of if it was not for a Magician telling me about Banachek and Project Alpha. I will give the latest and greatest a try as well. Thankyou for the suggestion.
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
No problem. Just go browsing the threads. Enjoy.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3494 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Are you interested in mind reading? Or just PK...
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1474 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
There are lots of impromptu PK effects in the literature, involving common objects such as toothpicks, drinking straws, matchboxes, pencils, etc.. Most of these only require the objects themselves, with no secret apparatus nor preparation.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12046 Posts

Profile of John C
Blow on a straw make it roll on the table.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3494 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
It's better if you use a portable pocket fan and hide it in your pants...
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2016, Last Laugh wrote:
It's better if you use a portable pocket fan and hide it in your pants...

More fun, too! Smile
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3494 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I was going to make a tasteless ectoplasm joke here, but I thought better of it...
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
685 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2016, Last Laugh wrote:
I was going to make a tasteless ectoplasm joke here, but I thought better of it...

😳 Whew!
Check out my (soon to be released) ebook, WANDERER at..
www.experience-architecture.com
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12046 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:

There's nothing too tasteless for the magic Café.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Leonil
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Leonil
Hello Last Laugh - I am interested in Mind reading and PK - Mentalism is something I am deeply UNTRAINED in so when I learned about PK time and touch, I was floored at how simple and clever it was that it made it into my repertoire immediately. PK touches kill every time - BUT I know nothing of mentalism in general, so mindreading, if done impromptu, I will be happy to learn as well. I know a booktest that I picked up from Richard Furgeson but I feel that many Lay people can reconstruct the trick.

Maybe I can try to be a bit more specific - is there a book test that does not involve the obvious patter taught by Richard Furgeson in "This is Mentalism"? Also are there effects that can involve mind reading impromptu - I am a bit disappointed with some gimmicks I have come across as the ones I cannot be examined too much.

Also, I am curious what the joke is about ectoplasm.
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
580 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:

Come again?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2016, Leonil wrote:
Hello Last Laugh - I am interested in Mind reading and PK - Mentalism is something I am deeply UNTRAINED in so when I learned about PK time and touch, I was floored at how simple and clever it was that it made it into my repertoire immediately. PK touches kill every time - BUT I know nothing of mentalism in general, so mindreading, if done impromptu, I will be happy to learn as well. I know a booktest that I picked up from Richard Furgeson but I feel that many Lay people can reconstruct the trick.

Maybe I can try to be a bit more specific - is there a book test that does not involve the obvious patter taught by Richard Furgeson in "This is Mentalism"? Also are there effects that can involve mind reading impromptu - I am a bit disappointed with some gimmicks I have come across as the ones I cannot be examined too much.

Also, I am curious what the joke is about ectoplasm.

You seem to think that mentalism is something you can learn trick by trick. It's not. And besides, you'd go broke if you tried to learn that way.

You can only truly learn the art by getting a strong foundation in its fundamentals. I suggest you read the following. It's free:

http://www.lybrary.com/thirtynine-steps-mentalism-a-10.html
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3494 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Yes, what Bob said. Start with classics. There is more than enough material and you'll come at it from the proper direction.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
Mentalism is not guiding you to a list of "tricks", because it's not about tricks.
It's STUDYING an art form.
After a profound study of the basics (as per advice of mastermindreader) you can take the next steps,
to study the material of Cassidy and Osterlind.
Take your time and try to understand that mentalism is a way of thinking, a way of presenting and most important: an attitude.
Don't take a shortcut, grow easy in mentalism, because it's not: "I will show you a trick".
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1461 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:

We bit that bullet, didn't we.

I would suggest, for off the cuff mentalism, Goldman's Mental Yarn.

It can be done with the cards supplied (which is how I do it, my mind at 63 just won't remember things that well), but if you have a good memory, it can be done without the cue cards.

The effect will floor them.

Then again, try Bob's suggestion first.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17522 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Contact me if you'd like to hear some impromptu magic/mentalism over the phone Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Leonil
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Leonil
Hi Mastermindreader / Bob: Thankyou for the clarrification and the resource. That was super helpful as I try to navigate my way through this area of magic I am deeply uneducated about.

Hi Last Laugh: The classics is exactly what I am trying to look for... does it sound bad that I see Banacheck as my benchmark for a classic mentalist? I only recently discovered him and it has opened up a whole world for me (Banacheck has led me to James Randi, the Piddington couple and Max Maven. My first dive into magic was exposure to Blaine and the like, so my classic knowledge, even in magic, is super limited.)

Hi John Wills: I will try and remember that! I am entering mentalism from the Magic angle so thanks for the awesome advice.

Hi Al Desmond: I did see that effect and was floored myself. I am glad to have a name to the effect that I may look up and see if its for me.

Hi Slim King: Unfortunately I am in Australia and wont be able to make a phonecall anytime soon due to several circumstances but I WILL keep your offer for later - I absolutely appreciate the offer and am humbled that the community here has been so helpful and generous. in my first steps.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Suggestions for impromptu effects. (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL