The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Suggestions for impromptu effects. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Harry the magic man
View Profile
Loyal user
Spokane, Washington
270 Posts

Profile of Harry the magic man
I would recommend, when starting out, to mark the differences between magic and mentalism at a routine level. Your first temptation will be to perform mentalism like another magic trick you are adding to your arsenal. It will save you bad habits and time if you begin with the right attitude and performance sensibilities before actually performing.
Best wishes,
Harry
Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow
Life is very long- T.S. Eliot "The Hollow Men"
RexDeash
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of RexDeash
Hi Leonil,
I completely agree with the resource provided by Bob. I would say go to the classics first, like Practical Mental Effects and 13 steps and then dive into the works of Bob, Max Maven, Richard Osterlind and Banachek. After digesting the classics, the best way, according to me, is to read an effect description and try to come up with your own method for it.
By the way, do not think that since PME and 13 steps were not written recently, they are outdated. They contain a goldmine of information.
Just my thoughts.
Thanks,
Rex
Leonil
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Leonil
Hi RexDeash: Yes, I agree about the classics not being outdated - when I started with Magic, I realised I was wasting time downloading tricks from Ellusionist and such if I didn't know all the "bread and butter" skills. I picked up Expert at the card table and Royal Road to Card magic, I also picked up Bobo's book on coins (All three are on Kindle) and my most prized book is one written by Tarbell. So when it comes to classics, I will prefer that over anything else. Because I remember spending so much money on website tricks that I never use because I realise now that they are not exactly what I want/need.
The Hermit
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
If you want to do some PK stuff vs heavy mentalism, just buy some loops and carry one with you. I bought the credit card loop case that Mesika has and carry it everywhere. Slip on a loop and you're ready to do miracles. See Losander lecture, Mesika's book, Finn Jon. All have great PK/levitation bits. You can use it to make a glass move back and forth without touching. I was practicing with one in the airport making a paper ball jump on the table. Within a couple of minutes I noticed two girls at a table next to me watching every move and being amazed. They thought I had PK powers. It's great impromptu.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Suggestions for impromptu effects. (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL