The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » On vacation! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2676 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
We are taking the train to Orlando to go to Disney World! Woo Hoo! Smile About 6:00 am we were stopped 7 miles outside of Savannah, GA by a downed tree on the tracks. We sat there until EIGHT THIRTY! Smile We just pulled into Savannah and should hit Orlando about noon to one o'clock. (About two hours late! Smile)
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1066 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Enjoy!
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Say "Hi!" to Slim for us!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2676 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
We just reached Jacksonville (11:38) and they say we'll hit Orlando by 2:15. Only three hours and twenty five minutes late, but who's counting?

I AM! I'M COUNTING! I'M COUNTING EVERY SINGLE SECOND ON THIS TRAIN THAT MEANS I'M NOT IN DISNEY WORLD!
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2676 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2016, S2000magician wrote:
Say "Hi!" to Slim for us!

Not unless he's in one of the Parks. We don't leave the land.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Slim is probably too busy putting condoms on mosquitoes.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1785 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Ed, I hope you and your family have a fantastic time. I don't mean any disrespect to anyone, but something has always puzzled me.

When I was a little kid, going to fairs, circuses, and amusement parks were wonderful events. But as an adult, I have absolutely no interest. You couldn't pay me to go to Disneyland or Universal or Harry Potter-Land.

So I've always wondered, what is the big attraction? Sure, I understand that many families go because their kids enjoy the rides. But why do my adult friends get so excited about it?
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19397 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What some like others do not. Personally I would rather be fishing, but the park does offer a lot.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2676 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Arthur - I really don't know. I've always been a Disney geek. I am the same age as Disneyland and I (believe) I share a birthday with Mickey Mouse. AND (Harry Anderson reference) I married the woman who was impressed by that! (One of our early dates was the Museum of Modern Art which was having an exhibit of Disney matte paintings from the live action movies!

WE MADE IT! Only FIVE hours late! Thank you tree! But we are here and we're heading out to Chef Mickey tonight. (We'd planned pizza for lunch, but we got here at 4:30!) I'm going to hold off uploading videos until we get back. Bunch of links then!
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1785 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Enjoy, Ed! When you get back and have recovered a little, you may be interested in a great movie: Saving Mr. Banks. It offers a fascinating insight into Walt Disney's relationship with the author of Mary Poppins.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Arthur, you old fart! Every year for at least the past 10 years and sometimes twice a year, I spend about 10 - 15 days in the park and a month staying on Disney Property and I still enjoy visiting there each and every time. Without discussing costs, crowds, and waiting, it is pure entertainment for every age. Anyone who enjoys unique and exciting rides that can be thrilling, amusing or educational, excellent live shows that are exciting, colorful and engaging, world class fireworks and illusions with light and sound, first class and one of a kind parades, etc. (I could go on and on) will enjoy Disney World. Disney Springs (Downtown Disney) offers shopping, restaurants, and entertainment for any tastes. Even the accommodations are unique with a variety of unique atmospheres. I stay at various Disney Vacation Club locations. In November I will again be staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge where I will have morning coffee on my patio gazing at a variety of African animals grazing right below me. (Sounds like South Africa). Unfortunately it sets a bar for entertainment that will be difficult to find elsewhere. Universal Studios and SeaWorld offer similar experiences.

This year Disney World is completing it's largest upgrade in its history and in each of their parks. I can't wait to get back in November! Yes most of the time I attend it is with children but I enjoy it just as much on my own. Try it and you might surprise yourself by liking it. One caveat, timing is everything. Pick the wrong season, month and day and it could become a challenge to fully enjoy.

Ed, I know you will have a great time. Not all of the changes are complete yet but many are and will be worth the trip. I'll be anxious to hear your thoughts on all the changes at Animal Kingdom for nighttime. Also your thoughts on the new background for the ride Soaring in Epcot.
John

New Hampshire
"A poor workman always blames his tools"
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1785 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Maybe you're right, John. I'm just an old fart who is not interested in rides anymore. Or maybe I'm just jaded, having lived 17 lifetimes within the space of just this one! It's been hard work, but I've been fortunate to achieve all my goals, gone everywhere I wanted to go, done unbelievable and outrageous things, and lived at the center of the Universe (i.e. New York City).
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19397 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think it is unfair to yourself to say you might be jaded. I think you simply have different tastes and that is what is fantastic about the world we share.

You are not forcing those on anyone and Ed is simply writing about how much fun he is having. We all get to enjoy both perspectives!

Not jaded at all, simply different tastes.

Ed have a great time.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17330 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'll be performing at Universal Studios Thursday, Sunday and Monday. Drop by and say Hi if you are in the area and I'll work you into the show Smile. I'd love to perform my new Tarot effect FORTUNE 500 for you if you are interested. In all honesty, my family and I have passes to every Theme Park in the area (Not Legoland). I really enjoy them. If you PM me I can steer you in the right direction. The Harry Potter stuff is stellar and you don't want to miss the new Star Wars fireworks show at Hollywood Studios.(Check their schedule..it's not every night) It's the BEST!!!! I got to ride the new KONG Adventure in Skull Island but I'm not sure if they have opened it up to the public just yet? Hope you have a great time!!!! Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1785 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Hey Slim, I didn't know you worked at Universal Studios! Years ago I knew two of the "back room boys" who took me on a private, behind-the-scenes tour with a golf cart as our transportation, and got to see and experience things the public doesn't ever get to see.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17330 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2016, arthur stead wrote:
Hey Slim, I didn't know you worked at Universal Studios! Years ago I knew two of the "back room boys" who took me on a private, behind-the-scenes tour with a golf cart as our transportation, and got to see and experience things the public doesn't ever get to see.

There is a lot going on .. New rides being built every year, much of it top secret unless you know the right people. It's been a great 14 years there but I'm ready to retire. I love orlando...Ed has chosen a great place to vacation at.... Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Hey Slim, is Rosie O'Grady's still popular in downtown Orlando? I was there way back in the eighties and it was a great place then. Did it weather well?
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2676 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2016, arthur stead wrote:
Enjoy, Ed! When you get back and have recovered a little, you may be interested in a great movie: Saving Mr. Banks. It offers a fascinating insight into Walt Disney's relationship with the author of Mary Poppins.

Seen it! Great film.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2676 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2016, Slim King wrote:
I'll be performing at Universal Studios Thursday, Sunday and Monday. Drop by and say Hi if you are in the area and I'll work you into the show Smile. I'd love to perform my new Tarot effect FORTUNE 500 for you if you are interested. In all honesty, my family and I have passes to every Theme Park in the area (Not Legoland). I really enjoy them. If you PM me I can steer you in the right direction. The Harry Potter stuff is stellar and you don't want to miss the new Star Wars fireworks show at Hollywood Studios.(Check their schedule..it's not every night) It's the BEST!!!! I got to ride the new KONG Adventure in Skull Island but I'm not sure if they have opened it up to the public just yet? Hope you have a great time!!!! Smile

We were looking at the possibility of spending a day at Universal. Then we watched some videos and realized it's a little more involved than we thouht and a day would be wasted there (it would take a couple of days to do justice) so we'll stay here for the week.

I'm having fun, but I overwalked Wednesday (Magic Kingdom) and Thurday (EPCOT) the EPCOT walk was accidental, we were almost out of the park when Dotti realized she couldn't find her iPhone! I offered to do a power walk back to the German restaurant and, not finding it there, was on my way back when they called to tell me she's found it deep in a pocket! (Good thing I love this woman!)
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2676 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Thursday was Blizzard Beach which didn't quite work the way it should have. Jeremy and I left for the beach as the girls weren't ready. We stopped at hot dog stand for some overpriced lunch and I found a place to park our stuff that wasn't already in the lockers. Then we got on Summit Plummet.

For those of you who don't know the theme, the idea is that this area was hit with a freak snow storm which caused someone to build a ski lodge, then all the snow started to melt and he decided to make the lodge a water park instead. Summit Plummet looks like a ski jump but you drop about 90 feet along a water track. There was a ski lift to take you up to the top level, but it stopped working just before we got there so we had to walk up the stairs. We got up there and dropped down the tunnel just as we were supposed to. Then I caught up with the girls who arrived a short while earlier and they were in the wave pool just as they announced that the park was being closed temporarily due to the weather. We waited for awhile, but the rain didn't stop and we decided to go to EPCOT for dinner. (We had reservations at the biergarten.) After dinner and a show with a German omp-pah-pah band, we went out to watch Illuminations and then went home. Didn't take too many pictures as the cell phone's battery wasn't properly charged.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » On vacation! (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL