The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Rising by Nicholas Lawrence (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of catweazle
Yes its the effect for the spec, sort of, but we are not the spec, best two demo's this year are from Nick Einhorn and Rhoddy Mcgee, watch them, there is a difference that you are not getting, but then again you worked for sansminds...nuff said.
like I said I like it, but your attitude is worse than the magic Café at its worst tbh.
good luck.
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1695 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
I do like this quite a lot , and will be using it in my ambitious card routine , it's nice that it can be done without gimmicks . I'm a busy performer and I could get this down in just a short time , so no issue about difficulty . But Nicholas ... IMO public forums may not be the best place for you to be in ...
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
Pixelated
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Pixelated
I bought the rising and I'm also a little bit disappointed that the trailer wasnt clear that it was the spectators view rather than live footage.

Here's an idea, if computer game adverts say 'not in game footage' then why don't magic trailers state 'what the spectator sees' or 'actual footage'. This would clear everything up and not leave any room for anyone to complain.
jackaboy
View Profile
Veteran user
universities aren't interested in my
302 Posts

Profile of jackaboy
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2016, Pixelated wrote:

Here's an idea, if computer game adverts say 'not in game footage' then why don't magic trailers state 'what the spectator sees' or 'actual footage'. This would clear everything up and not leave any room for anyone to complain.

Heres an idea
And a *** good one at that
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
Quote:
I bought the rising and I'm also a little bit disappointed that the trailer wasnt clear that it was the spectators view rather than live footage.

What a fantastic idea. So much better to look for solutions than constantly complaining.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:

Just like that's a general idea, this response is a general response and is not meant to indicate anything about any specific creator:

Great idea. Of course it won't be done because that would hurt sales. Everyone likes to !@#$% and moan, but (I'm guessing) so few actually send it back or demand a refund that it's worth it to continue doing it. To make matters worse, they actually buy from the company AGAIN!

If it wasn't worth it, if people stopped buying things from companies that continually do things like edit trailers to present unrealistic views of what actually happens, things would change. It obviously is worth it, so what incentive do the companies have? They are in business to make money. Until people take steps so that they stop making money, it won't change.

Imagined conversation:

Company Exec 1: Oh, look, 0.01% of people are complaining.
Company Exec 2: Are enough people sending it back or demanding refunds that it matters?
Company Exec 1: Of course not! They're just throwing it in their magic junk drawer along with all the other things they've bought from us. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Company Exec 2: The next highly edited trailer will be ready to go tomorrow. I wonder how many suckers will fall for it - AGAIN! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I am not disappointed with the product and I do plan on using it.

However, one reason why people are disappointed with the trailer is that as a long time magician, I just want to know what I can do with the product. If a trailer is presented showing something that I am not going to be performing, that is like ordering a steak on a menu, but getting chicken instead. It might be good chicken, but it doesn't look like the picture on the menu.

The trailer could have just shown the card after it is placed in the deck.

KJ
TheSecretFire
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheSecretFire
Well that escalated quickly.

There are a couple items I'd like to formally address, mostly because I was about to purchase this and decided to come here before hitting 'buy'.

First off, a note on intelligence: It's a bad idea to ever use your IQ as a way of putting someone down. That will likely come back to haunt you, good luck.

Second, from a business perspective, Nicholas Lawrence, you probably just lost potential customers by saying "I don't care." That has "I want your money, not your loyalty or satisfaction" written all over it. I had a customer who couldn't do a couple moves in one of my routines, due to a bad finger joint, so I figured out an alternative method for him so he could still do the effect. As creators, we don't have a responsibility or obligation to make sure everyone loves our work, but sometimes it's nice to go out of our way in order to ensure that our fans can perform and enjoy our art, even if they had problems with it.

With regards to the 'what the audience sees' trailers, the audience 'sees' nearly everything we do, they just don't recognize it for what it is. For example, the spec sees me do a tilt, and assumes where the card is going. To make a trailer where I openly put the card into the middle of the deck implies that that is what actually happens in performance. This is wrong. If the effect requires a tilt, then put a tilt in the trailer, or just leave the section out. But don't make something up.

And as for The Rising, the resulting effect looks pretty good, but now that I know you can't actually put the card 2nd from the bottom and have it rise, I think I'll pass. That was the selling point for me, but since that can't be done, I'll stick with a different rising card.

Let's keep it classy and civilized.
blurrylines
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of blurrylines
Quote:
On Jun 17, 2016, TheSecretFire wrote:
Well that escalated quickly.

There are a couple items I'd like to formally address, mostly because I was about to purchase this and decided to come here before hitting 'buy'.

First off, a note on intelligence: It's a bad idea to ever use your IQ as a way of putting someone down. That will likely come back to haunt you, good luck.

Second, from a business perspective, Nicholas Lawrence, you probably just lost potential customers by saying "I don't care." That has "I want your money, not your loyalty or satisfaction" written all over it. I had a customer who couldn't do a couple moves in one of my routines, due to a bad finger joint, so I figured out an alternative method for him so he could still do the effect. As creators, we don't have a responsibility or obligation to make sure everyone loves our work, but sometimes it's nice to go out of our way in order to ensure that our fans can perform and enjoy our art, even if they had problems with it.

With regards to the 'what the audience sees' trailers, the audience 'sees' nearly everything we do, they just don't recognize it for what it is. For example, the spec sees me do a tilt, and assumes where the card is going. To make a trailer where I openly put the card into the middle of the deck implies that that is what actually happens in performance. This is wrong. If the effect requires a tilt, then put a tilt in the trailer, or just leave the section out. But don't make something up.

And as for The Rising, the resulting effect looks pretty good, but now that I know you can't actually put the card 2nd from the bottom and have it rise, I think I'll pass. That was the selling point for me, but since that can't be done, I'll stick with a different rising card.

Let's keep it classy and civilized.

This is wisdom from thesecretfire. The lack of putting the card second from the bottom was not a deal breaker for me, however his abysmal attitude is a deal breaker. Although, I'm sure there are a lot of people, who don't post, but will skip the product once they see how he treats people. There are other threads where I've seen creators get absolutely pummeled, but remain positive and not completely fly off the handle.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Rising by Nicholas Lawrence (30 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL