The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Peter Turner Coming Back to Penguin Live (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
505 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
I like Peter Turner's thinking. Eagerly looking forward to this. I would love to ask this question, if possible. "Does the weird look of a mentalist necessarily enhance impact of his/her performance?" Or is it just a myth which is illogically popular? Like so many others in the fields of magic and mentalism.
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
Orlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Washington
219 Posts

Profile of Orlan
Last time Peter mentioned being stopped at every airport when entering the US. How was your luck this time?
Any interesting airport story?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2016, IMAGINACIAN wrote:
I like Peter Turner's thinking. Eagerly looking forward to this. I would love to ask this question, if possible. "Does the weird look of a mentalist necessarily enhance impact of his/her performance?" Or is it just a myth which is illogically popular? Like so many others in the fields of magic and mentalism.

I think it's just a myth. Most mentalists I know look like game show hosts or motivational speakers.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2016, mastermindreader wrote:
Most mentalists I know look like game show hosts or motivational speakers.

Is that a good thing?!
I've asked to be banned
Jeff Wassom
View Profile
Elite user
491 Posts

Profile of Jeff Wassom
Quote:
talk about premise and presentation, character building and story telling within performance.

Yes please. I feel people focus far too much on your methods versus your ability to enchant.
sjrw
View Profile
Special user
564 Posts

Profile of sjrw
Most mentalism performances I've had the pleasure of experiencing followed a kind of procedure > reveal > procedure > reveal > procedure > reveal structure.
When Pete performed for me it felt very different. The words I used to describe it at the time was "a whirlwind of mind reading" I was never conscious of any procedure but was just repeatedly blasted with reveals of my thoughts... It was like it was all happening at once rather than happening one thing after the other.

Peter - what are your thoughts on these two approaches? Do you prefer one over the other? And how do you create this feeling of a "whirlwind of mind reading"?
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
505 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Thank you for the clarity, Bob. It cleared up a 'cobweb' in my mind.
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
695 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Peter is full color in a world of black and white
Check out my (soon to be released) ebook, WANDERER at..
www.experience-architecture.com
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2016, Waters. wrote:

Well put!
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1312 Posts

Profile of bond19
I'd love nothing more than to see Pete's renowned take on PK touches
Raymond Singson
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Raymond Singson
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2016, Waters. wrote:

...And that's just talking about his tats!

RS.
“The purpose of art is to lay bare the questions which have been hidden by the answers.” -- James Arthur Baldwin

raymond.singson@gmail.com
Alwow
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
548 Posts

Profile of Alwow
Quote:
On Jun 11, 2016, Peter_turner wrote:

premise and presentation, character building and story telling within performance.

In addition to this, I'd love to hear your/his thoughts on:

1) Major vs. minor effect theory (ala Mr. Cassidy) and how to turn more minor effects into a major effect.
2) Getting more mileage out of tools like those available by Promystic or Labco (I recall he made a post here regarding the RD that was a nice way of framing the effect).
3) Thoughts on "Extraction of Thoughts" vs. Forcing. Do you have any thoughts on combining the two? Or, a preference of the two?
4) More thoughts on taking chances or "Being Bold". I believe taking chance is one of the most powerful way to create the logical disconnect for effects.
"Everything I show you is the truth... And the truth is the loveliest of lies"
mentalist.kin
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of mentalist.kin
The Question is how do you sturcure a routines into a show?
Do you have a logical patern of performances, or you just do trick after trick....
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13154 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I just watched Peter's performance at Penguin, it was a fun show.
Cannot wait for the lecture.

Tony
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
953 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Thanks guys! Questions closed. Lecture films in just over an hour, so I'm off to the studio.
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1293 Posts

Profile of Robb
Peter, where one might see you perform for a real world audience, paying audience?

Do you do fully produced shows like Luke Jermay or Colin McLeod? Or do you just do corporate, private work? Or perhaps you're performing regularly at universities?

As a working professional, how do handle when riskier gambits go off track? Or you get busted on pre-show?

What is the best way to get gigs? Do you recommend "gig sites" or do you just have an agent that books your shows?

I think these are things others would like to hear you address - "the business side" - as well as the routine/method stuff.
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1762 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
What will you see in a few weeks from Peter Turner at his second Penguin Live Lecture?

Mentalism that will remind you what your original love for your art is all about.

I'll explain...

It's nearly four AM and I just dropped Pete back across town and I'm still spinning from the material.

It's amazing to see his growth as a performer, creator and a person in general. In his live show Tuesday I witnessed a whole room full of REAL audience members that see it all completely lose track of what they call reality.

I'll be posting more when I'm a little more awake tomorrow...

BUT!

Pete has surpassed his original lecture by leaps and bounds, that being said, I value his original lecture as one of the fondest memories I have since being a regular attendees at these lectures.

Bravo Pete, you've made us all proud man, you're growing more and more into your legend each day.

XX,
Jacob

P.S. Pete completely kills any audience and YES he can fully pull off a full theatrical show with class. You can be as disbelieving as you want, but it doesn't change the fact that I've seen A LOT of live performances for real people during my time being around P3 Studios. That being said, I don't see people on the edge of their seats and fully engrossed in a mentalism performance like Tuesdays audience was all the time.
Mr. F
View Profile
Loyal user
Kentucky
240 Posts

Profile of Mr. F
Wow! What a great lecture. Pete taught some incredibly strong material, including an absolutely amazing approach to DB's Lift. Watching him perform and jazz his way around situations was incredible. However, for me, the greatest value came from the discussions. Pete shared some absolute gems. To top it all off, Pete is an incredibly kind and sincere person. I will undoubtedly be purchasing this as soon as it's available.
Josh
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
527 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Is there any chance that we'd be able to view a recording of the full live show from Tuesday? I'd love to see how Pete structures an act, transitions from piece to piece, etc.

I know this was asked before but I'd like to add my voice to the request/recommendation that the live shows be included in the lecture. I'd even be happy to pay extra for it. Maybe Penguin could have two options available - one just the lecture and another a lecture/live show combo.

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

ELEMENTARY: Delightfully "Pure" Mentalism - New Book Coming Soon
OMNI-TEST (Limited Release): www.mindofandrews.com/omni-test
ARCHITECT OF THE MIND: www.mindofandrews.com/colleagues
PENGUIN LIVE ACT: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11689
Orlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Washington
219 Posts

Profile of Orlan
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2016, DrewBstoss wrote:
Is there any chance that we'd be able to view a recording of the full live show from Tuesday? I'd love to see how Pete structures an act, transitions from piece to piece, etc.

I don't know how recent this is, but I noticed last week (and also caught the last few minutes this week) that Penguin started live streaming their Tuesday shows on Facebook. I just checked and it's not available anymore, but it's good to know.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Peter Turner Coming Back to Penguin Live (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL