The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Informer by Lloyd Mobley (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Dreda
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of Dreda
Again a rip off...

Paralabs has the same thing.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
It's the exact same material, method, use.

Perhaps it was an independent discovery, but it only would take a tiny amount of research to discover that this is already well known and sold by Paralabs.

Due diligence is an important thing when releasing a magic or mentalism product, and by this point Lloyd and Murphy's must know that this is a rip off.

I strongly urge people to not buy this and rather to support the original creators, Paralabs.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
magicsachin
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
132 Posts

Profile of magicsachin
Very soon we can find paralabs imp.pads in Chinese market..... :-(
Thank You Smile
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1997 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Product description : This is little gimmick which will allow you to secretly get the information of what the spectator has written down. Yes, there are many versions of this on the market but this one is, in my opinion, better than the other. You use the gimmick in a deck of card, in a pad or anywhere you want really. So do you to get my impression on this ? (get the joke ?) Let's go !

Price and where to buy it : This is sold at $39.95 and you can find it in nearly every Murphy's magic « partner » shop !

What you get : You get a small cardboard box with inside the link for the explanation video. It's not the best video of all time, not the best quality nor editing but it does the job and you get to learn everything you need to learn about this gimmick, how to use it, the reset etc.. You also get a gimmick pen which is nicely gimmicked, I do like the pen even if it's a little bit too big but I don't think that's an issue. You get an additionnal gimmick if you want to gimmick another pen. And of course, you get the main gimmick which is constructed on a card so you can directly place it in your deck (or anywhere else really). The stuff used on the gimmick is really really sensitive and well made, you can get a clear impression through 7 cards easily. I've got a few other impression device and I do think this one is the best. Very happy with what I received even if I feel the price to be a little bit too high !

Teaser : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFMS60gdJYo

The pros and the cons : Here is the core of my review, let's begin with the cons, as I will usually be doing, I prefer to keep the good things for the end.

THE CONS :
- It seems that this technology was first used by the Parapad and that Lloyd didn't even ask permission to the team, which is really a shame.
- I don't like how to reset the gimmick, I do think there are better ways out there.

THE PROS :
- It's very very easy to do, just put the gimmick wherever you want and you're ready to go. You will have to train a little bit to get the peek but still, very easy.
- The material provided is way more sensitive than all the other version on the market (except the parapad, which uses the same technology) meaning you can get a clear and very good impression even if the gimmick is under several cards or sheets of paper !
- I LOVE really the routine in which the spectator write anything he wants on the cellophane of a deck of cards, and then erase it right after ! I do like the organic side of it and the fact it's directly erased, not like a piece of paper which is crumbled up, here, there is no trace of anything that has been written down !
- The reset, even though I don't like it, is quick and I think could be done in front of the spectators. Anyway, it should take you less than 5 seconds.
- This material can be used in anything, meaning you can place it under a note pad, in a deck, in a post it note pad.. It's up to you and there is a bigger version existing mesuring 3x5 inches in case you want a bigger size.

Overall rating : I really like this gimmick and will use it, it works well and is very practical ! 4/4 hearts.

As for the difficulty level, the only difficulty is getting the peek and you will have to train for that, 2/5 stars.

Similar products : Hpad, Magma pad, Parapad, Reveal, there are million ways of getting an information written down, the Informer is a very good one for close-up.

Thanks to Murphy's for sending me this product !
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
magicsachin
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
132 Posts

Profile of magicsachin
Thanks for the review ...............
Thank You Smile
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
The ad states, "12 times more sensitive than any others on the market".

This almost made me purchase one.

Good thing I came here first and read the material used is the same as PL, which I already own.

The ad really should be revised...
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Yeah this is a bummer. Seems like they should have done a little homework. Paralabs is not particularly underground anymore even...
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Aslan Magic
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Aslan Magic
I love this. What more can I say. Yes maybe the technique is not new and maybe the video is a little amateur but what you have is excellent and well worth the money. I have lots of uses for this.
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Its sort of like the magic world was using crappy cards to do magic, then one magician found out about Bicycle cards, made by a company that has nothing to do with magic, and then the rest of the magic world thought "hey, we should all use the best possible material to do our magic"... but that magician who found out about it becomes grumpy and calls everyone a thief if they use the same cards. Sort of the same.

//Dan
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Bit different really, as Paralabs bought a lot to the table...not just finding/researching/testing out a material...which is a huge undertaking by itself...

Rather than a magician just buying a deck of cards that was already being used as a deck of cards...
I've asked to be banned
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of dyoung
The same stuff was already used by magicians, just not that particular "brand" if you will...
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
The terrible, big thick stuff that wasn't as sensitive and you had to use a massive marker? Yup...

So to discover that brand involves a load of time, research and money...as well as the safety aspects which most ignore..

How much do we value ourselves and our time too? All needs to factor into costs...

Just like over here, how difficult it is to get a billet pad made up as opposed to the states...I know it took me a couple of years to find someone to custom cut, specific paper weights, and orders of less than 10,000 and so on...

I think Paralabs have been taken advantage of quite a bit by many 'inventors'...this is just one example...
I've asked to be banned
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of dyoung
I meant the likes of the material that was used some 15 years ago in a stack of business cards. The green stuff. WHich didn't need a massive marker, in fact we made it work with a pen as well as marker pen. It wasn't as sensitive as the parastuff, sure. ANd who's to say Mr. Mobley didn't spend lots of time, research and money on it? I think he's also using it in a different way to Parapeople... if he had ripped off their pad, or the Nomad Pad or Rigg's Butterfly (all more or less the same in terms of workings and the handling) then that would be a different matter all together. But he didn't so...

All the best,
Dan
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Isn't he just selling the 'stuff'? What do you get in the package?
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Ive checked, just the marker and single device and download...

Quote:
On Jun 14, 2016, ParaLabs - Thomas wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2016, mastermindreader wrote:

I seriously doubt that Ranier or Thomas at ParaLabs were asked permission to release this.

Right, Bob. In fact we learned about this release only by reading this thread.

Now, even if there is no need to ask for our permission technically or legally, but for us it would have been a matter of common sense and politeness to drop another creator at least a line in advance before launching a similar product.
For us it has always been self evident to inform related creators as a friendly gesture and a sign of respect.

But you know what? Even if this isn't common any more these days, we'll still act like this in the future nevertheless - even if it costs us a few bugs. It's a matter of ethics and moral ... and we're happy this way. Smile

Thanks for your awareness anyway, my friend!

Cheers
Th.
I've asked to be banned
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Its not just a sheet of the stuff, he's put a little bit more thought into it.

//Dan
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Ah so you have it, ok...

My point is, the whole reinvention thing, with stuff like this AND a place like this, it's pretty easy to research and bung an email over isn't it...

All the pros that say they don't read this place still do, and nearly everyone has heard of this place...doesn't take a genius to reach out eh...
I've asked to be banned
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Im not saying he couldn't have researched it a bit more. What people would've told him is that Paralabs are using the same scientific material... he probably would've gone "well, but Im using it differently". If we had stopped everyone experimenting with carbon paper back in the day, then we wouldn't be where we are now.

//Dan
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
In what way is it being used differently?
I've asked to be banned
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Theirs is in a pad... his is in a deck of cards, he using it more like The Miracle Gimmick by Paul Fox.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Informer by Lloyd Mobley (28 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL