The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Informer by Lloyd Mobley (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
But that gets explained in the Paralabs booklet...that comes with the pad...

Wasn't the original carbon version in annemann? Can't remember which original booklet...
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Annemann outdone by Carlyle too...

Andd a correction, it may not be in the Paralabs pad booklet, it's been ages since I read it, but it's definitely in their material waaaaaay before this product.
I've asked to be banned
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of dyoung
I don't have the parapad, so didn't know that they mentions it.

https://geniimagazine.com/wiki/index.php......_Gimmick

Anyways...

//Dan
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
1937 annemann mental masterpiece in mental bargain effects I think...

So regardless of ownership, it's really easy to talk with Paralabs, it's just not many have chosen to do so when they've released stuff after Paralabs did...

And that's before we get into custom created m#gn#ts...

People have made good money off of Paralabs initial releases!
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Sorry, should say I know annemann is the case, and the other is the card...
I've asked to be banned
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of dyoung
I just feel sorry for the first magician to use carbon paper... bet he got zero credit.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Yeah! I agree...would be good to find out who it was...
I've asked to be banned
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2018, IAIN wrote:
Yeah! I agree...would be good to find out who it was...

Sansminds probably.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
I have a parapad but when the pens dried up it was too much hassle and expense to get more. So my parapad sits doing nothing. I just do a peek these days with a biz card. There's no extra stuff to maintain.

Parapad is up for sale?
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Not sure about Para labs gimmick but this one is only the size of a poker deck playing card so too small for a notebook..
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2018, John C wrote:
I have a parapad but when the pens dried up it was too much hassle and expense to get more. So my parapad sits doing nothing. I just do a peek these days with a biz card. There's no extra stuff to maintain.

Parapad is up for sale?

I mean my parawallet is up for sale.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2016, Jared wrote:
My curiosity got the best of me and so I took one for the team. The parcel arrived today and what I received was the exact same material as what is used in Paralabs "ParaPad". It is pre-cut and mounted to a Joker and includes a clear protective sleeve, a gaffed dry erase marker, and replacement magnet all elegantly packaged inside a decorative box with protective packaging.

The video is homemade and Lloyd goes through painstakingly detail to demonstrate how good the impression is. He also includes various mounting tips, teaches how to gaff a marker, and generally care for the device.

It seemed clear from the video that Lloyd stumbled upon this discovery himself (the material is used in the medical field) not knowing anything about Paralabs and their history with this technology. Surely, this is going to ruffle some feathers and likely be pulled from the market as it should be.

I own several Paralabs products and can attest to their superior quality. For certain, it appears that Lloyd didn't do much research prior to launching the product. But I was even more surprised that Murphy's didn't know about Paralabs or do more due diligence before putting this into the market.

I stumbled across this thread and was drawn to the phrase "the material is used in the medical field" so I am not sure why he needs permission from paralabs.
Use the FORCE Luke.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Because the medical word don't use it in notepads for entertainment. Just like all kinds of objects get repurposed from other worlds and used in different ways in our world.

No one else 'saw' it and then developed it into what PL did, with their attention to detail and quality.
I've asked to be banned
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2018, dyoung wrote:
I just feel sorry for the first magician to use carbon paper... bet he got zero credit.

Who did he COPY?
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I remember researching this quite a bit when purchasing Psypher. I know I came across Paralabs at some point in my Café journey. Further research lead me to conclude that Paralabs appeared to be the gold standard of impression systems for mentalists.

What seems not to be in dispute here is that Paralabs was first to use an impression material sourced from another industry that is manufactured for a different purpose. It also appears that whoever Lloyd Mobley is discovered the same material Paralabs did, likely searching for quality impression material for the same reason Paralabs did. It also seems clear that Mr. Mobley was completely unaware of Paralabs existence and their prior discovery of the material they now both sell.

If Mr. Mobley did NOT know of the existence of Paralabs then he wasn't knowingly ripping them off. He simply learned through research the same thing Paralabs did. So the only way Mr. Mobley could be ripping off Paralabs is IF Paralabs has a claim to exclusivity due to them being the first to learn that the material manufactured and designed for a different purpose has impression capabilities for mentalists?

In this case, I think the answer is no.

Can the first person to strip the Kyrlon matte/Testor's Dullcote 1260 label and call it roughing spray prevent others from doing so? What about Magician's wax? Magicians repurpose materials intended for other purposes all the time. If I took JandJ mint waxed floss and marketed it as "Premium Gypsy Thread", I don't get to prevent others from repurposing my discover because I happened to be the first to market. I darn sure would keep it a secret. No sense inviting competition.

It would be different if someone ripped off a proprietary formula but that is not what is being alleged. It would be different if Mr. Mobley knew about Paralabs and just tried to copy Paralabs, but he didn't. His discovery was independent and it sounds like he came up with his own (similar) methods for gimmicking the pen and using the material. Good for him.

Paralabs products are established and considered top notch by working pro's. I don't think Mr. Mobleys entrance into an already crowded field of impression devices rips off anyone. Fair competition is good and benefits the consumer, which I am all for. Exercise your free will and vote with your dollars.

Quote:
On Feb 2, 2020, IAIN wrote:
Because the medical word don't use it in notepads for entertainment. Just like all kinds of objects get repurposed from other worlds and used in different ways in our world.

No one else 'saw' it and then developed it into what PL did, with their attention to detail and quality.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of dyoung
The material or it's green brother, are both not for magical purposes. The green stuff was used way back when, I certainly worked with it back in the early 2000's. In a product we released some years ago, we needed this type of material. And after working our way through samples, searching for the best material, we came across the same material that the Parapeople use. It's the natural course of things, if you want to put out a good product and do your homework. So in my mind, Parapeople can't lay claim to that and prevent others from using the same material.

Having said that, their Parapad is brilliant. It's all well and good to have good material, but if you don't have a good peek it's pretty useless.

All the best,
Dan
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I don't see how anyone CAN'T be aware of the paralab stuff...
I've asked to be banned
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
One cannot prove a negative, that is why it is a logical fallacy. Accusations require proof.

Point is even if Mobley did know the what, he didn't know where it came from. If he managed to source it from the same place, good work by him for tracking it down.

Even then, Paralabs still has no claim to exclusivity. Since he wrote up his own work and didn't copy or plagiarize, he's free to sell it as he wishes. The free market at work. Yeah.

Quote:
On May 17, 2020, IAIN wrote:
I don't see how anyone CAN'T be aware of the paralab stuff...
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
BAGWIZ
View Profile
Loyal user
San Francisco Bay Area
236 Posts

Profile of BAGWIZ
I’m late to this discussion but I do own both “ParaPad” and “The Informer,” so I can attest to the fact that the technology used in both appears to be the same yet Mr. Mobley boldly claims his device’s impressions are many times better than ANY other impression device. I think that statement is categorically untrue and may instead be some verification that Mr. Mobley likely didn’t know about ParaPad. Only he himself could answer that, but I agree with others who have commented here that it seems odd he didn’t know. If I came up with a way to use this same material in yet another type of impression device, and I planned to market it, I don’t think I’d need ParaLabs’ permission to use the material but I’d sure as heck at least credit them with being the ones to first use this stuff in an imp device. That assumes, of course, that ParaLabs WAS the first to use this material this way. The point 8s, I would take the time and go to the effort to research it. My main gripe with “The Informer” is that it does not appear Mr. Mobley took the time 9r made that effort. It occurs to me that Mr. Mobley’s rather crude and amateurish video explanation for “The Informer” may be further evidence that this project was rushed to market with little to no attention to background detail. Yes, the video does help the viewer understand how to use the technology to get impressions, but I have to say it’s one of the crappiest video explanations I’ve ever seen. I’m not suggesting Mr. Mobley should have spent thousands having a super-professional video made, but it feels somehow disingenuous to make claims about a high quality device when the explanation video is the polar opposite.
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of dyoung
They were not the first to use that TYPE of material in an impression device, they were the first ones to find that "brand". I think its pretty safe to say that Mobley didn't do his research though. A lot of people releasing stuff are afraid to do any research, because it might show the unfortunate fact that your idea isn't new or even good Smile Or they are ask their equally ignorant friend, and that's enough research for them Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Informer by Lloyd Mobley (28 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL