The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Mouth Coil Routine for Children? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gowenmagic
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of gowenmagic
Hello, I'm looking into a mouth coil routine for my show. I see a lot that are kind of do as I do, they're funny and entertaining. I'm just worried the kids will go home and try it and choke on a piece of paper. Any opinions on do as I do for kids where you have them stick the paper in their mouth? are ages 5 and up okay as long as you tell them not to at the end of the routine?
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I do a mouth coil routine in my show, when blowing up animal balloons. I don't really feel the need to warn kids not to try putting coloured paper into their mouths. When blowing up the balloon, at one point I get mixed up and put the whole balloon in my mouth with just a little bit sticking out, then pull it out with a "yuk". If I'm dealing with an audience that is primarily preschool-aged kids, I might make the comment, "Ew, gross, I could have choked on it." But otherwise, I don't feel the need to make that comment.

So, I'm more sensitive to the youngsters seeing me put a balloon in my mouth, rather than pulling a mouth coil out of my mouth.

(I don't do the bit where you tear up tissue paper and put it into your mouth, before pulling out the coil. Like I said, I go to blow up the balloon, and at one point, out comes the coil instead.)

BTW, many children tell me that was their favorite part of the show, and it gets a lot of laughs. I've done it in thousands of shows over the past 30+ years.

But do what you're most comfortable with.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Tommy James also includes a routine using a paper tear in his first "Birthday Mania" DVD.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Robert Baxt also has a well-known DVD with a mouth coil routine.

http://www.robertbaxt.com/product_mouthcoil.html

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
gowenmagic
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of gowenmagic
His routine doesn't suit me as much as I wish it did. I'm putting a routine together with the kid ripping up the paper with me to music. Thank you so much for your advice!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I also don't use the do as I do.
Over the past 30 years I have used it by
A. Following an end of a harmonica number following holding the last note.
B. Finding bubble gum on my shoe
C. At the end if a ball to mouth routines
D. Following a stretching tongue bit
E. Following a puppet holding the last note of a song
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Keep in mind that mouth coils don't have to be used only for "in the mouth" routines. There are many mouthless ways to use them, as Wiz Kid Eleazar (aka Ee-Gee-Fiki) notes in his book "Tear-Able Magic".
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I've never used a streamer from the mouth and the Kids still react big time if you are surprised at where ever it does come from.

Bits and good timing are where it's at.

-Mary Mowder
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On Jun 17, 2016, Mary Mowder wrote:
I've never used a streamer from the mouth and the Kids still react big time if you are surprised at where ever it does come from.

Bits and good timing are where it's at.

-Mary Mowder

I agree. I use the coil as an opener for kid's shows. It's a "math" trick. "If I tear a piece of paper in half, how many pieces do I have?" "If I tear two pieces...?" Etc. Then, "I'm going to magically make them go back together," (but they don't) "What!!!" "That wasn't supposed to happen." (frustrated) "This is what happens when a magician doesn't practice his tricks." (slowly pulling the ribbon from the closed hand) (halfway through, try magic word again) "Nope!" I'll tell you what. I'll take this home and practice really hard, so I can do it the right way next time. OK?" (as it reaches the end) (gather up the l-o-n-g streamer, toss it into the dump bag and move into the next effect)
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Michael

That was a great share
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
I do the Wizard Paper Hat Tear, and to proove the kids that it's a real magical hat I pull one of the largest moutcoils out of the hat, once the kids saw that it's totaly empty.

It a simple effect, but the kids love it.

Oliver.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Mouth Coil Routine for Children? (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL