The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "The Mentalist" starring Gerry McCambridge (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1105 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Thought folks might want to know that NBC just annouced the air date for the Gerry McCambridge special: Wednesday, May 12 @ 8 PM.

B
lostpoet
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of lostpoet
Thanks, I look forward to seeing it. I just hope we don’t see a masked mentalist on Fox in the following weeks.
EspDuo
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of EspDuo
Gerry was very careful to create material that he hoped was exposure proof.

Original material that you cannot go to magic store and buy.
ThomasBerger
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of ThomasBerger
Quote:
Original material that you cannot go to magic store and buy.

Good old editing on TV is hard to beat.
Look at the difference when you see Derren perform on the lecture tape compared to his slick TV specials--unrecognisable.

My 2 cent's worth.
Tom
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1348 Posts

Profile of Colin
You'll get to see one of the best versions of PK Touches yet. The full routine is excellent, and incredibly well thought out.

Col
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
knave
View Profile
New user
UK Newcastle
72 Posts

Profile of knave
Tom

Don’t forget Derren Brown’s lecture tape was filmed at a magic convention in front of magicians.

A much better comparison would be between the TV series and his recent theatre tour both aimed at the general public. The two are entirely consistent from the consumer’s point of view. He is great on stage showing all the cheeky by play and audience management you would expect combined with very strong effects. The buzz in the bar afterwards amongst none-magicians was the same frank amazement you find in discussions of his TV show.

Gerry’s show was great; I particularly liked the sections with the live audience, you can see why he’s so successful.

Cheers
Dave
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Why is NBC waiting until May when it seems like the rest of the world has already seen it?
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Well, not even the best mindreader will never know what is inside a TV executive’s mind....
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I'm so looking forward to this! Thanks for the news!

Anabelle
mystic1
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of mystic1
Why is NBC waiting until May to air it?

May is one of the 3 "Sweeps" months....so they obviously believe in the show...and that it will get decent ratings and make the network look good.

Otherwise, they'd "burn it off" during a quiet time, perhaps even the summer doldrums.

And the show IS good. You'll enjoy it. And the public should too.
MagicCoach
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of MagicCoach
Quote:
On 2004-03-18 03:03, ThomasBerger wrote:

Good old editing on TV is hard to beat.

Tom, I think you'll find that Gerry and his team planned the material firstly, so that someone couldn't go the magic shop the next day and ask for any of the effects or to easily expose it, secondly, that he could replicate most of it in his stage appearances and thirdly so that it was great entertainment.
You'll be impressed when you see it, I was.
(p.s. I think it has been sold to Australia, so hopefully it will air here soon and people might start to undersatnd a little better what it is we do. But will they change the title?)
ThomasBerger
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of ThomasBerger
Quote:
Tom, I think you'll find that Gerry and his team planned the material firstly, so that someone couldn't go the magic shop the next day and ask for any of the effects or to easily expose it, secondly, that he could replicate most of it in his stage appearances and thirdly so that it was great entertainment.

Hi Timothy,
I am sure the show is impressive.
But my point is the first part of your comment:
Making the show impossible to replicate.

On TV large chunks of what is really going on is cut out.

Remember the Ian Rowland lecture--he asks if anyone can reconstruct his TV appearance stuff. You can't because a lot is missing.

Copperfield was a master of this, his Grand Canyon bit filmed at different times and spliced together.

It has been getting progressively more and more like this. Derren Brown in particular. Look at his drawing duplication with the Ad guys-- you have got to say film AT THE END of the shoot (driving them home past the landmarks) is edited into the BEGINNING of the performance (saying that they are being driven to a mysterious destination. If that is indeed what happened, you have got to say the "no camera tricks" stuff is BS.

As to the last part of what you say, about him replicating the TV stuff on stage-- do you know this as fact, or are you assuming this? I seriously doubt it.

As I said, I am sure the show looks great and is slick, but if the Production Company is on your side, 3/4 of the battle is over.

Just my view,
Tom
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1601 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Tom,
The show needed no editing to accomplish the effects. All can be done before a live audience in real time.
Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
ESP Guy
View Profile
Regular user
Falls View, Vermont
137 Posts

Profile of ESP Guy
No stooges and no edits. The production staff (ie., producers, directors, editors, camera people, participants, etc.) had NO idea how the results were achieved. Their reality is matched by what the viewer at home sees and experiences. Period.

And yes, Gerry now performs most segments in his live show.

Thom
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
876 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
It's a great show, not to be missed. The apparent _absence_ of any of the usual ruses made possible by the fact that it's a TV show is just one of its many strengths, and I think it's a great credit to Gerry and all concerned.

The only slight flaw, which has been mentioned elsewhere, is that perhaps you could argue that some of the effects ended up looking 'too perfect,' and lacked any Derren-esque pseudo-explanation to provide the plausibility factor.

I know that the production team is aware of these points and are intending to work on these aspects for the sequel, so that it will be even better than the first.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
What kind of strange post is this mystic1 ???

Kuffs
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of nimrod
ESP Guy, I don't buy it. I'm filming my own tv show these days and I know that the camera man and the director and everybody else MUST know how things work. They will fail to get the best results otherwise.
Secondly, it would be just foolish not to use all your resources.

Nimrod , Israel
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
876 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Patrik - don't worry about our dear friend 'Mystic 1'. As a brief trawl around the Café will show, he always likes to hurl his slings and arrows in my direction. What this has to do with 'magicians helping magicians' (the purpose of the Café) I don't know. All I know is that I could not wish for a better unpaid publicist!

Nimrod, I know you are a smart guy and a good performer, and incidentally all the best with your own TV shows. However, it is certainly not true to suggest that the director and crew must always know how tricks are done in order to tape them for TV. If you want one excellent cite for this, read the Berglas book!

Sometimes the TV production crew do know, if that's how things work for a given show, and sometimes they don't, and don't want to. I take your point about using all of the available resources, and we both know that TV is a 'venue' that makes many miracles possible. However, I think it's harsh to describe as 'foolish' anyone who takes a different route. Gerry's show is really excellent, and if he and his team wanted to work in such a way that the TV production team knew only the effects, and not the methods, I don't see anything 'foolish' about it.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
ESP Guy
View Profile
Regular user
Falls View, Vermont
137 Posts

Profile of ESP Guy
Quote:
On 2004-03-20 05:04, nimrod wrote:
I'm filming my own tv show these days and I know that the camera man and the director and everybody else MUST know how things work.
Nimrod , Israel

You need a better team of consultants. Smile

Thom
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1601 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Quote:
On 2004-03-20 05:04, nimrod wrote:
ESP Guy, I don't buy it. I'm filming my own tv show these days and I know that the camera man and the director and everybody else MUST know how things work. They will fail to get the best results otherwise.
Secondly, it would be just foolish not to use all your resources.

Nimrod , Israel

Sorry, Nimrod, but the production staff knows nothing of the methods. if you can't accomplis that, OK. It doesn't mean that others can't. Actually, I agree with Thom. You might want to seek a better group of consultants. Again, these things can be done live on stage.

By the way, Charles Scott had a local show in Kansas City several years ago. The show was a half hour of mentalism and was aired weekly for 11 years. The production staff had no knowledge of the methods.

Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "The Mentalist" starring Gerry McCambridge (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL