The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » OOPS, Just Cards by Paul Hallas (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
DISCLAIMER: I’ve known Paul for a number of years from our interaction on the Café and even had the good fortune to chat with him in person on a couple of occasions. Though he was kind enough to provide me a review copy, I don’t like him so much that I’d perjure myself defending material that I didn’t actually like.

Paul Hallas’ latest book, “OOPS, Just Cards” provides insight as to how Paul thinks about card tricks—practical, entertaining and within the skill level of anyone that has performed card magic for even a short time. (Although this is not a book for beginners.)

The title contains an acronym which stands for “On Other People’s Shoulders,” which is Paul’s way of stating the material is inspired by others. Paul puts a (Nick) “Trostian” spin on most of the material, meaning it ends up easier to perform, contains fewer “moves”, is just as enjoyable, and in some cases, is even more direct than its predecessor. Don’t think this means all of the card plots presented are of the standard variety—Out of This World, Ambitious Card, Triumph, etc. Many of the plots Paul gravitates toward are ones that are offbeat and unusual, like Michael Close’s “The Frog Prince” and even a Martin Gardner matrix style trick.

As alluded, there is plenty of variety to stay interesting. All of these tricks were also designed to take up minimal, or no, table space. Paul has done strolling and restaurant work for a long time and so knows how to construct and modify tricks to work optimally in those environments.

Did I love it all? Of course not. The things I didn’t like were more due to my own biases against certain plots than Paul’s changes and handling updates. For example, any trick where the wrong card is found but then used as an indicator to find the right card (by counting down the number on the wrong card, usually) is something that I really don’t like. Paul’s version of one of these tricks did nothing to change my mind on the matter. With 40+ tricks, though, you’re bound to run into plots that you don’t care for but will still find plenty that you do. It was my delight to be surprised by the fact that such a high percentage of the material was practical for strolling/restaurant work and more casual situations with family and friends, for example.

Here are some of my favorites:

• Like Clockwork - Using a wind-up or mechanical toy to find a selected card. Unlike every other version of this plot I’ve seen, it doesn’t require ANY table space and ANY toy (gaffed or ungaffed) can be used. This would be ideal for anyone working with kids in fast moving places like restaurants.
  • A Short Do As I Do - A wonderful version of “Do As I Do.” It eliminates one (or both) of the normal exchanges of packets and should fool any magician that knows the original handling.
  • Tucker Time - Based on a Stephen Tucker idea, Paul has turned this into a quick and strong 3-phase routine: signed cards to pocket, repeat transposition and ending with a sandwich-style coincidence. The gaffs for this are brought in and out during the routine, so you really start clean and end clean.
  • Buddha’s Card to Wallet - An update of an old Stanley Jak’s trick. Paul ditched the coin purse and the Buddha figurine but kept the presentational elements that make the routine fun. He also includes a “no-palm” version which is wonderfully thought out.
  • So Easy Card Stab - Deceptive, simple, fun. I’ll be using this.
  • That’s Definitely It! - This is Paul take on “Dunbury Delusion” from Expert Card Technique. Both the handling and presentation changes are an improvement over the original. It’s that good.
  • Revised Blank-It Decision - A Hallas original where a selected card vanishes from the deck to appear in the card box. The entire deck is then shown to be blank. My description doesn’t do it justice. One of the highlights for me.
  • Captured Signature - As a follow up to the last trick, a blank card is signed and lost in the deck. Two jokers are added to the top of the deck whereby they instantly capture the signed card. Excellent routining.
  • Still Diminishing, Not Likely - The four aces all turn into a previously selected card then instantly change back into the four aces.

VERDICT: There are no pipe dreams here. Everything is workable and practical. A very strong collection of card magic. For $28, it’s an incredible value, and yes, I would easily have paid full price for this book.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Paul Hallas, now where have I heard that name before.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Forgot to mention, not only is this strong material, but the book itself is very well written. This isn't Paul's first book and it shows. Good writing seems increasingly difficult to come by these days, but this book has it in spades. (pun intended)

So if you're still on the fence on this one, trust me, you won't regret the purchase.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » OOPS, Just Cards by Paul Hallas (1 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL