The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » When do you know,..? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
When do you 'know',
"enough practise,
it's time to do it."?

Not wanting to answer my own question,
I 'think' it's "a feeling".
Maybe, a determination.,..?
I'm curious what others think.
I'm still searching,..

I thank you for your thoughts,
Gallagher
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I don't know.

I could do a DL a full two years before I did it for a lay audience. I determined never to wait THAT long again.

When ever I see a guy say "I just got this is in the mail today so I'm gonna try it." (and clearly they were telling the truth LOL) I think THAT is a worse thing to do.

It helps to imagine a friendly audience while you are practicing.

You will never complete your practice till you try it in front of an audience so have friends and Family watch the first times, then a Magic Club, etc...

It depends on what it is, more about a knacky move or about the performance.

Try it for a trusted friend and ask them if you are ready for prime time.

-Mary Mowder
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hellö Mary,
thanks for your thoughts.
"Imagine playing for a friendly audience", is a good trick(!).
I'm kinda at the that phase now.

I'm working out a completely new show concept,
I've nothing 'old and proven' to work around.
(it's actually something I wanted,..struggled for,..
we choose our own poisons,..!)

'Trusted friends' are tricky(!).

Actually, I went out and played it, last wednesday.
Determination, after long practise,...
,determined to keep calm.
,determined to run it through.

I had to start THREE times(!).
I did.
I knew, after looping the Show, four times;
what I have.
AND, I' ve eaten most of the fear!(),..yeah!

I've continued the practise,
Tuesday, I'm out again.

, . . . . .

It's a killer, working with yourself!
We're often our biggest critiques.
,but....
(this is one reason I enjoy the Café!)
have a nice day,
Gallagher
ColtonRaelund
View Profile
Regular user
COLTON ZOROASTER RAELUND
116 Posts

Profile of ColtonRaelund
You know, when you try it! Many people have fear of failure, and I am also guilty of it. Last night, I tried vanishing a lit match in a TT for the first time, after a month of practicing, and several weeks being ready. You just got to jump in, all or nothing!

~Z~
JasperLee
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of JasperLee
The best judge might be hecklers you meet.

Most audiences are too polite about everything.

If you're looking for the hard truth, it's either from your wife or hecklers all around.
Bella Dans
View Profile
New user
Amsterdam
20 Posts

Profile of Bella Dans
I usually test the waters by , practicing performing to invisible audience in public places.
And if someone is curious, I will start with routines I already know well, and transition to the newer routines.
DavidJComedy
View Profile
New user
Boston, MA
79 Posts

Profile of DavidJComedy
You can rehearse all you want, but it can obviously never replicate performance conditions, as you never know all of the variables with which you may be contending. Depending on the complexity of a routine, I may choose to simply just perform it live, without a ton of rehearsal, and let the performances act in part as a rehearsal. I think most performers would agree, the first time you perform something never resembles the 20th or 30th time. It morphs, you change, you gain experience and knowledge. So, to base readiness on individual rehearsal time can be challenging.
David
davidjcomedy.com
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
You can be reasonably sure that when you first think you are ready, you are not.
John
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2018, DavidJComedy wrote:
You can rehearse all you want, but it can obviously never replicate performance conditions, as you never know all of the variables with which you may be contending. Depending on the complexity of a routine, I may choose to simply just perform it live, without a ton of rehearsal, and let the performances act in part as a rehearsal. I think most performers would agree, the first time you perform something never resembles the 20th or 30th time. It morphs, you change, you gain experience and knowledge. So, to base readiness on individual rehearsal time can be challenging.

Sorry, but, IMO, THAT'S the thinking that causes many potential clients, to say, "Anything BUT, a magician!"

PRACTICE TO IMPROVE SKILL. REHEARSE TO IMPROVE PERFORMANCE.

PERFORM, WHEN YOU HAVE FIGURED OUT WHAT THE "VARIABLES" ARE, AND, HOW YOU WILL "HANDLE" THOSE "VARIABLES".

The three "rules" for putting a new trick in your repertoire, are:

1. Learn how it is DONE.

2. Learn how to DO it.

3. Learn how to do it, so it ENTERTAINS AN AUDIENCE.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
paulalpha
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
75 Posts

Profile of paulalpha
Some magicians claim they have worked on a sleight for five years before they performed it in public. While that may work for some professionals and some sleights, as a general rule that's very bad in my opinion. You want to be able to perform the trick in front of lay people ASAP to determine if it is a good trick to add to your repertoire. So my rule of thumb is to start trying it in front of people when you've practiced enough that you don't have to think about the trick any more, and you can do it 10 times in a row without messing up.

Whenever I try out an new tick on a stranger, its way too easy to talk myself out of it and not perform. I need to screw up my courage to get those first dozen performances under my belt. My favorite strangers for trying out a trick are store clerks. They have been trained that the customer is always right.
John Oaks
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of John Oaks
When do you know????

Therein lies the thrill of performing!
Have a Magical Day!
------

I really didn't know how to explain it.
So I told them the truth, and they fell for it!
paulalpha
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
75 Posts

Profile of paulalpha
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2018, Dick Oslund wrote:

The three "rules" for putting a new trick in your repertoire, are:

1. Learn how it is DONE.

2. Learn how to DO it.

3. Learn how to do it, so it ENTERTAINS AN AUDIENCE.

Dick is of course correct, but its that third point that is the toughest.

When I first started doing closeup linking rings, I had missed a crash link three times in a row. One of the young men watching said that "my problem was that I was performing in front of three beautiful ladies". He was exactly right, and by concentrating very carefully I was able to do the crash link the next time.

Ever since then, when ever I perform for a female, I deliberately miss one or two crash links early on, and then tell the spectators "you know what my problem is? I'm performing here in front of these beautiful women." Then I concentrate and make the link work. Its a funny line, and usually gets a laugh.

That line enhances the entertainment value of my rings routine, and gets me better tips. But I only added it to my routine because it happened while performing.

So getting out there and performing is part of the secret to improving your performance skills. There is no substitute for real performances in front of real strangers.
LarryD
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of LarryD
I certainly don't know the answer to this question in general, but as it relates to me personally I can state positively that I'm not ready!
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3509 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
kidnapped1853
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of kidnapped1853
Really interesting discussion. The following is a little off-topic and is an old idea, but it has served me very well over the years - I always sandwich a new routine between two others that are rock solid.
deanr201
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of deanr201
Quote:
On May 19, 2018, kidnapped1853 wrote:
Really interesting discussion. The following is a little off-topic and is an old idea, but it has served me very well over the years - I always sandwich a new routine between two others that are rock solid.

Solid advise right there. I too do the same.
ryanshaw9572
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of ryanshaw9572
I practiced until I knew I had enough material for a certain time. Then I rehearsed that material over and over, making a script as I went. Then I started advertising myself. Once I got a gig, I just practiced as much as possible before the gig. I was nervous going in, which is natural, but I wanted to just jump right into performing for money because there are some things which can only be learned through experience. To be experienced you have to start experiencing. Hopefully not for free, because even if it’s just a part-time thing or a hobby, there are people who make their entire living off of magic!

Ryan Shaw
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
320 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
Good point there, Ryan Shaw. Be careful about doing free shows. Remember that it might just be a "hobby" for you, but you may be taking a paying gig away from a pro whose living depends on not giving shows away for free!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Practice and rehearsal is never over, you should be practicing in front of a mirror. The larger the better. These days, video every practice and rehearsal. Does your movement and gestures look natural. Are you holding your props correctly, and handling them so everyone can see the prop. are you placing props back in your case or table without losing your audience attention.

You can relax your practicing when you can do an effect, move, or effect without thinking. Paying more attention to your audience and spectators. As with anything, if you only do several shows a year, then of course, you will lose it if you are not doing it.

Then comes rehearsal, this should be performed before every show, seeing you have every move and prop available and in its place. Use your music, and your patter as it should be presented.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
...PLUS think through what MIGHT go wrong and have an "out" already practiced & rehearsed for this eventuality.

Julie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » When do you know,..? (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL