The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mr. Golden Balls by Ken Dyne (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2017, Tony Venetico wrote:
I just ordered it from Penguin yesterday, thinking it was the new one. Is this the new version, Ken? I sure hope so.....

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22472

Reading the add copy yes it is.

Ken's incredible Mr Golden Balls, totally re-vamped with the highest quality materials.
Supplied complete with high-quality, solid resin balls produced to a custom size for this routine by a pool ball factory
The bag is beautifully stitched to an even higher quality than the first version of Mr Golden Balls.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Well, if Penguin has it then what is with the emails talking about only having 120 units available and they will sell out quickly?
But that's not the real issue, it's if I had ordered from Penguin their free shipping takes 2 days to arrive to me. Free shipping from the UK takes weeks.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Killer trailer.

Killer routine.

Ordered yesterday.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2016, Brainbu$ter wrote:
I have Mr. Goldenballs.

The bag itself had a stray thread coming out when I took it out of the tube.
Hope that won't start unraveling.

My balls are sticky.
It must be the paint he used.
I purchased some clear lacquer (or clear varnish)
for $4 and sprayed it on my balls. A couple coats.
With that finish, my balls feel amazing and they look shiny.

I'd prefer however that when I purchase something that it's ready to go
and won't need improvements.
I got the idea from a guy in the facebook group, who suggested applying clear varnish to make the balls less sticky.

When I performed it for the first time,
I did not include the prediction at the end, "Performer was left with the black ball."
I decided to scrap that because I felt it very weird for the routine.
Why would you do kurotsuke, have 4 people reach inside a bag to pick a ball so that you can sniff out the gold one,
only then to take out a ball for yourself? It doesn't make sense except for your prediction.

Not only does it not make sense for the main effect,
but also I think it may dilute the overall effect.
You are presenting "mindreading" or detecting whether someone is lying or telling the truth,
then at the end you pretty much show everyone that you knew beforehand what the outcome would be.

Turns out I might've been wrong.
I stayed after the show and performed close-up.
Two people, in conversation, told me, "You should be doing THIS on stage. This is amazing. Not that goldenballs stuff." (or words to that effect).
One couple said that what I did (Mr. G Balls) was easy,
and anyone in the audience would have a good chance telling who had the gold ball.
I feel that the funnier the questions you use, the less impressive it is, and the more mundane questions, the more impressive (but not funny).
For example, "What's your mother's maiden name?" Not funny. But impressive if you can tell whether he's lying.
On the other hand, "If you could kiss John Goodman or Danny Glover on the mouth, who would you choose?" (I just made that up just now).
That's a funny question, but his response ... actually that may qualify as impressive.
"What's your worst or most embarrassing habit?" is funny but NOT impressive, because in my limited experience,
one of the men said something ridiculous ("I watch Pitch Perfect 2, three times every day"). The audience laughed. Good thing.
However, it was extremely obvious that he did not have the gold ball.

In short, they were underwhelmed by Mr. G___balls (at least without the final prediction).
This was just one event, so it's not enough to draw any firm conclusions.
But I'd have to agree that discerning whether someone is lying or not (a 50/50 shot) is fairly boring (unless you're Derren Brown,
but even then, I personally find it some of the least entertaining effects he does).

I will say, however, that my presentation of it, with MY questions, was very funny (though not impressive, according to reports).
In my opinion, the questions Ken Dyne gives in the provided Powerpoint presentation are not that funny.
In fact, one of Dyne's "Sample Comedy Questions," is "What's your star sign?" and another is, "What color car do you drive?"
He had two that I thought were funny.

In contrast, my third question is (and I use only male volunteers to make this question funnier),
"If you had to pick, which of the other contestants would you go on a date with?"
This is funny because I've chosen all male contestants.
Then the next question is even funnier (sorry, not giving it away here).

One thing I don't like is that, if any of your audience googles "Mr G___balls,"
the only links that come up are Ken Dyne's website selling this trick, and this very thread.

You don't think they'll google it?
For this trick, two types of people may google it--not just the ones who want to know how it was done.

First, those who want to know how it was done (though it's mostly just funny).
That first group will DEFINITELY remember the NAME of the trick, since "MR G____BALLS" is shown on the big screens behind you as you perform it.

Second, and this is what makes this trick the most dangerous--because this is probably a much larger population--,
those who simply think the term, "Mr. G---balls, " is funny, and they simply want to look it up.
Ken Dyne came up with it. I know because I googled it for THIS reason. I just wanted to know more about the phrase,
and whether it was popular in America as well as in the UK. The links that came up were for this trick (including this thread).
Google it yourself right now and you'll see what I mean.

If I saw ANY performer or speaker mention that term and talk about what it means,
there is a GOOD CHANCE I would google it at some point. And I would be directed straight to the website where I can buy the trick.

How would you like it if every time you perform the Inv D_ck,
the title, "Inv____le D__k" were displayed on the screen behind you, and the announcer said, "It's now time for the Inv_____ D__k!!"

One other thing I dislike is that I feel that one of the important parts where you NEED patter,
specifically a joke or something misdirecting, is when one of the contestants is about to reach into the bag.
Between one contestant and another contestant, you need to be talking. Otherwise it will be obvious you're doing something unnatural for no good reason.
Dyne didn't address this in the teaching video.
What I used was, "Are you right-handed or left handed?" and "What's your name and occupation?" and "With your favorite hand, reach inside and you grab a ball." You can't, for example, simply let the 4 players reach inside and grab their balls.
You have to do something (obviously with the bag since you're holding it).
Since it should take you only half a second to go from one player to the next,
you should (I would think) turn to the audience and say something in between the players,
to give you a reason to fiddle with the bag.
This was not discussed in the teaching video.

I agree with those above who mentioned that the ad video for this trick is the funniest I've ever seen.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who appreciated how hilarious the advertisement was.

One more thing... on my first performance,
since I didn't do the prediction at the end,
I used 5 instead of 4 contestants.
By doing this, yes, I discarded the prediction at the end,
but at the same time I made the overall effect clearer (lie detection)
and more impressive as far as the main "lie dectector" effect goes (5 people instead of 4),
and funnier (because I could ask one or two more funny questions).

So I have seen Ken perform this in person and at his Penguin lecture and it really is a treat - and the ending with the ball in the bag does play well when I have seen him perform it.

Ken took the standard kurotsuke we all know and love - and put it on steroids with comedy and the extra twist at the end. That ending (and I have not performed this) does not dillute but adds the extra kick/twist that if performed correctly can elevate.

But that is just what I think. I know this is a tried and true stunner for Ken that he has used successfully as a working pro on cruise ships and more hundreds of times.

I have done standard kurotsuke many times myself - fun as well, but lets face it the audience ultimately knows where everything is headed even if they don't know who will have the sought out ball. That doesn't hurt the effect, but the standard has always been pretty linear.

Ken's comedy and the final twist seem like a winner but I will only know more after road testing myself and making this my own - and not Ken's (since I am not even 25% as funny).

BRETT
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2017 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
The basic effect and the two revelations, according to the video, appear to be the same as the first edition of Golden Balls. I am sure the new and improved version, with a more recommended bag and balls, is better than the first one.

My problem is, I bought the first one. From an earlier experience with another vendor, when I bought their original and then the "good" one, my policy is not to do that any more. I believe that it is the vendor's job to do the R & D, and field testing, to get it right the first time. So I am passing on this. This is probably my loss, but I will live with that.

George
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
I guess one colour ball remains in the bag [?]

So you are not left with the 'black' ball - if anyone is actually watching [?]

I am thinking of getting this - so I got the penguin lecture... to help me decide

I have to say - I'm happy that this thread got me to buy the lecture - as I'm almost two hours in and it is rather good

Also I'm not sure if he's referencing PT - but his thoughts on mentalism today [not watched it all the way through - so shush don't spoil the ending...] is exactly what I think. But I'm not in any way experienced as a mentalist - and so for me it's just my personal taste...

Anyway - so one colour [and the black ball] are left in the bag - is that right

Has anyone every found you [the mentalist] out and called you on this [?]

As I fear some of my smaller parlour shows I have to be very bullet proof on effects as they are not going to be forgiving

Also any reviews - either of the new version - or better still from in the trenches and how it plays

As a small note - after having read this thread - watching the lecture... I can see that the post about funny questions makes sense. Except it's not the questions - if people go for funny answers - then it's obvious they are not Golden Balls

I do want it to be funny and the audience to be funny

I'm already thinking of work arounds... maybe not lie/truth... not sure if this is an awful idea - or a great way around the problem with answers/questions being funny [and I do think it takes away from the effect, <if it seems too easy to know who is lying as they are being funny> and that is not me suffering from magicians thinking in the slightest... I felt that way in the lecture performance 'bitng my toenails' hmm]... I will tell them they can lie or tell the truth [all of them] - but the one with the golden ball has to think of his golden ball [at some point while he's giving his answer]

... then I can put some business in... 'hmm you were thinking of something but it might be ????' yadda yadda

And I can take them out with 'you were not thinking of GB so you don't have it'

As I would want to ramp up the humour

And yet I would take out <in performance> the words/term 'Mr Golden Balls' [and never refer to the effect with those words] - if they are riding high and point to this on Google

So you can see I am seriously thinking about buying this

I just have slight [magician’s thinking] worry about their logically being two colour balls left in the bag [when you claim you are left with black] - unless I misunderstood how this plays [from the lecture] and for £90+ be nice to hear from a couple of people who have played this to audiences... though having watched his lecture - I trust this is a worker... it would seal the deal if I knew that the new improved version came with a fully functioning Dyne Wig
Hudson Lee
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Hudson Lee
Edit to my post: Ken and his office have resolved the issue. Great and personable service as always.
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Hiya,

Sorry I haven't been here to respond as quickly as I'd like - moving house so am surrounded by my whole life in boxes.

Regrading the questions regarding what is 'new' with this version:

1. Compared to that shared in the Penguin Live lecture
- In the lecture the bag cannot be turned upside down at the start to show it empty. In this version, you can, using a specially designed and crafted bag I've had made.

2. Compared to the short run I did of Mr Golden Balls last year
- I was happy at the time with the sets, however, some people came back to me saying they had issues with the balls. So, I stopped production because I'd rather not sell something rather than be selling something that people aren't totally happy with. What I was selling was the way I was using it, using the exact props I use, but that's totally fine as it's your money you're spending and if you had issues with it I thought it best to stop production.

The new sets come with solid resin coloured balls made by a pool ball company to an entirely new quality standard.

One thing that I love so much about the art of magic/mentalism is that we can constantly develop ideas, build on them and improve. Like all art, it is never finished, merely abandoned. And I don't know about you, but I don't stop thinking about my routines once they're released. I constantly want to create and improve - so that's what this newest production of Mr G represents, and I hope you like it.

Regarding the limited run - I only have 120 of them here, Murphys Magic have a supply too, but if you want to get it direct from me then I do only have 120 of them in at the moment , and I just checked in with the girls downstairs who are packaging them up and mailing them out and they are more than half way through getting them all out to all of you who have grabbed your own set Smile

Best,
- K
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
illusioneer
View Profile
Special user
NYC
752 Posts

Profile of illusioneer
I understand that the bag is a new and different design than what was used on the Lecture. However, can the bag now supplied still be utilized as a sw***h bag outside of the MR. GB routine?
Things are about to change........ LIGHTS!!!
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1695 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
Just ordered , looking forward to using it soon .
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Is there a benefit or advantage to ordering this directly from you vs. Penguin or Murphy's?
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2017, illusioneer wrote:
I understand that the bag is a new and different design than what was used on the Lecture. However, can the bag now supplied still be utilized as a sw***h bag outside of the MR. GB routine?

Yes, the bag does have a 2-compartment element that you can use for other routines Smile
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2017, Mindpro wrote:
Is there a benefit or advantage to ordering this directly from you vs. Penguin or Murphy's?

Not really, only that I make a couple of extra pounds and I can personally kiss the box for you. Other than that, your local brick magic shop will be able to carry Mr G and I think it's important we support these as they are getting fewer and fewer every year now.

Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2017, Ken Dyne wrote:
Quote:

Not really, only that I make a couple of extra pounds and I can personally kiss the box for you. Other than that, your local brick magic shop will be able to carry Mr G and I think it's important we support these as they are getting fewer and fewer every year now.

I always "Try" to support creators / artists first but it is refreshing to see one that also understands the very real need to also support our everlowering number of brick and mortar shops. (My local shop in Pittsburgh Pa is in the final stage of closing after 40+ years in business).

I really love the new trailer for this (as others have mentioned throughout this thread) and was not aware of this effect until today. I am not a "mentalist", nor do I do many effects that even "lean" that way. However, once in a while, I do a "totally adult" comedy / obnoxious magician bar act and would consider adding something like this just for the sheer amount of "bag and ball jokes". I was almost in tears laughing at myself and the stories I could make up just reading Brainbu$ters first tale about it. The jokes just write themselves Smile

I don't mean to take away any of the seriousness of the effect for those true "mentalists" who wish to play this straight in their performances but I see some real "Comedy Gold" here (pun intended).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2017 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Well, I found Ken's reflection fairly persuasive and impulsively sprang for the new revised second edition with the pool-type balls.

I am looking forward to their arrival. Still, I hope he doesn't come out with a third edition!

George
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2017, Ken Dyne wrote:
Quote:

Not really, your local brick magic shop will be able to carry Mr G and I think it's important we support these as they are getting fewer and fewer every year now.

I enjoyed the lecture and was happy to hear your statement on the state of the art - wish you could have gone further

So please don't think I'm a hater here at all

I always try and order from a certain shop - as I want to support them

They will match prices

But from what I understand they couldn't match the direct price - though [the implication was] they 'should have - but that's another story'

This works out as over £90 from shops, and £65 direct

So I bought this directly from you

It seems like you make the same money if it's direct or not - as the shops don't seem to be getting a fair chance to be competitive

As I said I’m really not hating on you… just mentioning that your statement may not be entirely fair to the shops – as you are making them seem rather greedy [?]

Also if you kept your price in line [£90 direct] you would be making more money on direct sales

From a personal point of view – I’m indifferent – as I will still support the shop [where ever I can] in future – and I am happier that the inventor gets more of the money anyway

So not a hater – more of a lover… so I’m even more glad I went direct now I know I will be getting a kiss included [for no extra cost]

I may be the only one to want this – but a closed Facebook group for owners would be of interest – as I would be keen to see how others plan to use the prop

As I said further up – the longer ‘bad review’ at the start of this thread – is [in my very possibly wrong opinion] correct that the ‘funnier’ you make the questions – the smaller the effect will impress. I love funny. I want to mess around with ideas to make it as funny but without diminishing the ‘power’ the performing is ‘showing’ – so a closed Facebook group would be a great place to chat – without giving away ‘free’ ideas to people who haven’t bought the product

Anyway each time I check your website the number left seems to halve… was almost 60, then 31, now 16 left… and that’s just in the last day or two… be sold out soon guys
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I usually try to support the creator direct myself, but it can often be more expensive with shipping, etc. Good points about supporting magic shops as well. I was just curious as sometimes there are greater discounts, incentives or other bonuses or perks from buying from the creator direct. Thanks for your quick reply Ken. I wish you much success with this updated release.
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2017, The Duster wrote:

from what I understand they couldn't match the direct price - though [the implication was] they 'should have - but that's another story'

This works out as over £90 from shops, and £65 direct

So I bought this directly from you

Thanks for your nice words, much appreciate it.

To give you some more info, regarding the presentation and the comedic element, the truth is that I only perform with as a 'game show' with all of the comedy about 30-40% of the time. I chose to present that in the trailer as it made for a funny, quirky trailer that I thought would be fun for my pals in the community. However, as mentioned in the copy on my site, I actually present this with corporate messages regarding finding the 'gold', or as a more serious body language reading/lie detection routine. The game show format would not work at most of the gigs I do, but its good fun for the time/place where it is suitable.

Regarding the magic shop prices: on release, I have a special 'launch price' for my customers and people on my mailing list so if you buy direct from me to begin with you get that deal. The price actually goes up today (Friday). I'll be putting it up once I get back from the theatre tonight. The thing with pricing is that for a magic shop to carry this I have to discount enough to sell to Murphys wholesalers, then they make their margin, who then sell to the magic shop who make their margin. And as I am sure you can imagine having custom molds and custom balls produced, then the bags and all of the packaging, and then shipped across to the USA comes with a pretty hefty investment. Hope that makes the pricing a little more clear. Basically, I still make a LOT more when people buy direct from me, as the price I wholesale them at is WAY less than you might imagine.

I should have just put out another e-book - I could have charged more and spent less Smile

That all said, I think it's critical that we support our magic shops. These are the places where many of us began our journeys, got bitten by the bug that has become our love. In the next few days my local magic shop, Magic Box will close their main shop in the next few weeks and relocate to a non city-centre location. This shop has been there for years, and it will be sorely missed.

Thanks for your support, if you have any more questions at all I'll get back to you asap (I may be slow today as I'm at a funeral and then to the theatre tonight but I'll do my best).

- K

academy
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of academy
I would be disappointed if Beverly Hills 90210 song is not included on the cd! Great trailer Ken.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I purchased from Penguin and have tried to register for the online videos, has anyone gotten a password this way?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mr. Golden Balls by Ken Dyne (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL