We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Juliana Chen - Art of Mask Changing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
samuelchong
View Profile
Loyal user
Penang
237 Posts

Profile of samuelchong
Is there any books or videos that teaches this manipulation?
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5020 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
I think the origin of this art is from China and is protected by the country. The masters can't teach this without the permission of the country, it is considered a national treasure.
Juliana's act is not really what the Chinese does. I think the record was a change of 17 masks in 25 secs.
Bernard Sim
philblackmore
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of philblackmore
Thanks Kjellstrom, funny. What language is that? Can you read it?
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1743 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2004-03-17 09:38, philblackmore wrote:
Thanks Kjellstrom, funny. What language is that? Can you read it?

I have to agree, the site is interesting but what language is it in ????
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
samuelchong
View Profile
Loyal user
Penang
237 Posts

Profile of samuelchong
That's Thai language

Quote:
I think the origin of this art is from China and is protected by the country. The masters can't teach this without the permission of the country, it is considered a national treasure.

I thought the secret has been exposed to the western country!!! And some said the technique has been modified, so that it can be done without using a fan, the sleeve, or even turning back to cover the action of changing the mask.

Quote:

Juliana's act is not really what the Chinese does. I think the record was a change of 17 masks in 25 secs.

Is Juliana's act belongs to the lastest version that has been modified? Where can I get the info about the act??
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22927 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
SamuelChong,

There is no detailed discription of Juliana Chen's act anywhere that I know of. She did appear at some conventions so you may check for convention video like Abbott's Get-together tapes.

May I remind you this is her material and not yours. This is not available to others. She developed this herself and does not sell it for others to perform.

If you wish to do as she has done. The mask can be purchased from hobby shops and costume shops, blank so you can paint yourself. Then develope your own routine.

Good Luck,
samuelchong
View Profile
Loyal user
Penang
237 Posts

Profile of samuelchong
I didn't plan to immitate her act.

I just wanna learn the lastest technique, I know the old technique using str*ng $ costume to perform it, but I wanna upgrade myself with the new technique. By the way, you can't perform it using normal wooden mask.
porcupine
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
196 Posts

Profile of porcupine
Juliana Chen's Colour Changing Masks is very similiar to an effect that's done in traditional Chinese Opera theatre shows. From the only place that I've seen her, World's Greatest Magic, what she did looked exactly like what they do in the traditional opera, where they wave a fan over your mask and it changes. In truth, I have no idea, but just a thought.

Cheers
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.” - Albert Einstein
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22927 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Samuel,

The mask I mentioned are very thin plastic, usually white. You could stack a dozen and not tell a thing. Get out of the house and go shopping. There are new products all the time.

Note: If you use mask it will look like her act. Just as hers looks like Jeff McBride's idea.

Her floating mask portion does not work most of the time.
samuelchong
View Profile
Loyal user
Penang
237 Posts

Profile of samuelchong
Quote:

Thanks wmhegbli. Is the floating mask gimmick can be found in any online magic shop???
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22927 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Samuelchong,

No, the floating mask is not a commercial item. It is simply a T**** method.

It looked very much like she incorportated her backdrop in the working. I never seen it work properly. When she appeared at Abbott's it did not work. If I remember correctly, in her FISM performance it did not work either.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4934 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Here in Taiwan there is a magician that calls himself "Jackerr."

He sells the traditional style mask changing routine that is known as "bian lian" which means literally "change face."

His method uses a cape and stacks of masks.
The secret is pretty well known, but the technique is quite difficult to master.

Jackerr is a true master. He can just turn
his head and effect a change.

The masks are made from a very thin paper similar to paper mache.

This is not a Chinese national secret [if there is such a thing outside of tv shows]

The webpage in the above link is written in Chinese NOT Thai.

Cheers,
James

Quote:
On 2004-03-20 00:23, wmhegbli wrote:
Samuel,

The mask I mentioned are very thin plastic, usually white. You could stack a dozen and not tell a thing. Get out of the house and go shopping. There are new products all the time.

Note: If you use mask it will look like her act. Just as hers looks like Jeff McBride's idea.

Still with the Chinese circus Smile
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Quote:

I don't agree. There are hundreds of magicians who use masks. A Mask is a magical and mystical prop. In that case can I use a magic wand without looking like Michael Ammar. The important thing is not to copy the whole act. One should come up with his own ideas.
Yours,

Ivan
academy
View Profile
Veteran user
388 Posts

Profile of academy
This is not something you are going to learn from a magic book or a magic video for the simple reason that it doesn't belong to magic but to Chinese Opera. So check out Chinese Opera books and videos.

Maybe you can read this:

http://www.bebeyond.com/KeepCurrent/Reco......aces.htm

Sincerely
Academy

By the way. Do you know there is a movie about it? It's "King of Masks". You can find it in many blockbusters or here:

http://800-buy-movies.com/GeneralDVD/gr60619D1.htm

Hope this helps.
Academy
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22927 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2004-03-20 04:32, niva wrote:
Quote:

I don't agree. There are hundreds of magicians who use masks. A Mask is a magical and mystical prop. In that case can I use a magic wand without looking like Michael Ammar. The important thing is not to copy the whole act. One should come up with his own ideas.

It is called respect for someones intense interest to create.

I suppose you would make a floating violin and a musicial coin ladder and vanishing flute as well.

We can use the 'standard' magic props; wands, Zombie, Rice Bowls, cards, coins, etc.; but when it comes to someone reputation making items, I believe it is hands off.

Items used in magic are associated with a certain performer. If they have established themselves with that item. Then it is not yours for the taking.

It is called morals which is lacking in todays' society. Now, if you wish to go to China and learn from the master at his school as in the article that is okay. But I still do not believe you should present it in a magic presentation until the original person is deceased.

Magic is not like any other form of intertainment. Play a guaitar and create music in many different forms. But to an audience a mask is a mask, no matter what color it is painted.
samuelchong
View Profile
Loyal user
Penang
237 Posts

Profile of samuelchong
[quote]
The webpage in the above link is written in Chinese NOT Thai.

[quote]
I've check again and I still can't read at all. I don't think it's Chinese nor Thai!!! It looks very similar to Thai word but they just make no sence.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
I just love Jeff McBride's Mask act and all his other magic. But I doubt Jeff was the first magician on earth to use masks into his magic.

Again masks are magical items, just like wands, tarot cards, sceptres, shrunken heads.

Even Luna Shemada uses masks in her act, and she is one of the closest friends to Jeff.

If someone copies the same exact act, then you are right. There it's a question of ethics. But otherwise, I cannot see you point. Masks have many meanings and allow for various interpretations and ideas for shows.
Yours,

Ivan
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2227 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Quote:
On 2004-03-20 09:17, academy wrote:

This is not something you are going to learn from a magic book or a magic video for the simple reason that it doesn't belong to magic but to chinese opera. So check out chinese opera books and videos.

Maybe you can read this:

http://www.bebeyond.com/KeepCurrent/Reco......aces.htm

Sincerely
Academy

As you have read the article, Mr. Peng has stirred up Sichuan opera's staid world. In 1998 he caused a scandal by accepting eight girls as students, breaking with the tradition of teaching only men the secret of face changing.

Glad to say, Ms. Chin was one of the 8 girls mentioned. And I was lucky to perform with her in an exclusive birthday party last month. She can do it surrounded and so well.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
744 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
Hey folks,

Just to clear things up. Juliana uses her own technique created with the help of a few friends. She does not use the plastic mask that stack and the floating works all the time. I was at Abbotts and if she had been given enough time with a professional stage manager she would have presented the effect. It did work perfect at FISM and she won. The actual facts are that Juliana can use one of three different methods for the floating and I have seen her use all three in a venue on different shows just to test the reaction.

I think the biggest thing to point out is that even if you can justify trying to duplicate the method to create your own routine. Why would you want to...guys there are a millions of other things out there...pick up something off you desk right now and go create ...why disect someone elses method...what a waste of time and your valuable energy.

Shawn Farquhar
all around nice guy and part time brother to Juliana.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Juliana Chen - Art of Mask Changing (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL