We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Juliana Chen - Art of Mask Changing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Does the mask float off her face.
Yours,

Ivan
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
744 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
Hey there,

In one variation the mask floats from her face. In the other two she removes the mask and floats it around. None use a cloth, ala zombie.

Cheers,

Shawn
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1639 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Some time ago, an acrobatic group came from China, and played in Toronto. One of the older member of the staff did the colour changing mask,"just like Juliana Chen". To my surprise, he then showed how it was done when he was been interviewed after the show by one of the reporters.
I don't speak Chinese, but my wife do, and she said that he was saying something about Juliana Chen.
You'd be put back to know how easy it is.
Richard. Tricky Ricky.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
23046 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Shawn,

I did not say Juliana Chen used plastic masks. I said you can buy plastic masks at any novelty store to use as a starting point on working on ideas.

I really do not care what she uses as when I seen the performance it failed and blaming a stage manager instead of the magician is just a cop-out. She is responsible for the act its content and what works and what does not. If she would have left it out all together or used an alternative method altogether would have been better.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24292 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Xiqual wrote:

Quote:
The webpage in the above link is written in Chinese NOT Thai.

It may be showing up on your computer as Chinese, but on mine, it is showing up in Thai. The web site is hosted on a Thai web hosting service.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
744 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
Wmhegbiol,

What you said was "If you wish to do as she has done. The mask can be purchased from hobby shops and costume shops, blank so you can paint yourself. Then develope your own routine." and in a following post you said "The mask I mentioned are very thin plastic, usually white. You could stack a dozen and not tell a thing."

I appreciate that you stressed that they should not duplicate Juliana's act.

I do blame stage managers when directions are given and not followed. In fact when directions are given and the stage manager refuses to listen. Leaving out a signature part of your act is not an opition at large magic conventions where they expect you to do your material.

I don't think it is a "cop-out" to blame the technical staff when they make the error. I do not know your performances but I suspect if you use technical staff you will agree so much is dependant on the folks around you. Success is not measured by the performer alone but by the people who surround them ... just look at every great magician ...even those who appear to be alone.

Cheers,

Shawn
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Totally agree. For instance lighting is a big issue in most performances.
Yours,

Ivan
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4936 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Ahhh The wonder of "fonts"
Thanks Bill,
James Linn

Quote:
On 2004-03-24 14:15, Bill Palmer wrote:
Xiqual wrote:

Quote:
The webpage in the above link is written in Chinese NOT Thai.

It may be showing up on your computer as Chinese, but on mine, it is showing up in Thai. The web site is hosted on a Thai web hosting service.

Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24292 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's probably it! Must be a bilingual web page.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
That was a good one Mr. Palmer.
Sorry to post it after so long but I just saw the topic.
Magixspinx
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of Magixspinx
And what about her card production?
She is really fast...
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
Her production is nice, and yes, she is fast! Just shows how much you can get out of 1 move (I am referring to her WGM appearance).
viktor01
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of viktor01
Quote:
On 2004-03-17 09:38, philblackmore wrote:
Thanks Kjellstrom, funny. What language is that? Can you read it?

Don't you guys use babelfish?
/Viktor
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Having spent a lot of time with Juliana Chen, I can tell you she works incredibly hard on her magic and manipulations. She was originally an acrobat and a dancer (she switched to magic when she injured her knees. She also did a juggling act-risley,or foot juggling).

So, as you know acrobats and jugglers tend to practice much more and much harder than magicians.

She has such hand strength that she can open a new deck of bikes and in a minute or two working them in backpalm the entire deck.

I have not seen her lately, so I cannot comment on the mask work.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
n3cromanc3r
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of n3cromanc3r
Not to bring up an old subject.....oh but what the heck. I found this thread because I have an interest in masks and am looking for mask changing / color changing / other/ information. I have no idea who Julianna Chen is, never seen her act and have only seen part of a Jeff McBride through pictures so that's how I know he uses masks. The act I am working on is "alien" in nature and will involve a mask. I would like to do something with it instead of just wearing it so I'm trying to come up with some ideas.

I have no interest in ripping anyone off and really don't want to know what other people do exactly so I don't run the risk of doing other peoples material. But let's face it, there's only so much you can do with a mask though.

So if anyone has any additional research information on mask magic, mask books etc I would greatly appreciate it.
samuelchong
View Profile
Loyal user
Penang
237 Posts

Profile of samuelchong
Quite a number of magician in this Café including you searching high and low for this infomation but there isn't much about it. No DVD/VHS/book that really teach the art of Mask Changing.

It's an underground art. If you are in China, you got to get a master to teach you and it isn't that easy for you to be accepted as a disciple. I mean the classic mask changing which requiere custom made cloths and......

Know the secret is one thing; able to perform is another thing; capable to modify it and strike to be different is another big thing.
n3cromanc3r
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of n3cromanc3r
Makes me want to learn it all that much more. Hope I can find something on it. Or just some mask type magic.
Deucemc
View Profile
Regular user
originally Honolulu, Hawaii
116 Posts

Profile of Deucemc
Finding Mask changing material is very hard to come by. I saw Julienna Chen's perfomance when she came with Shimada and a couple of other people. I too wanted to learn about the changes and what not. I didn't get very far. The thing I had to do was to use my magic knowledge backround to see how things could work out. I've gotten as far as using certian Pulls to do what I need.
Hope this advice helps.
K
Farrell
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Farrell
Dai Vernon used to present an act with masks and stuff I believe that pre dates Jeff McBride.
magicsiow
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
102 Posts

Profile of magicsiow
It's look really hot topic in Chinese color change masks. I'm a magical consultant. I often do Chinese opera change masks with combine magic for long time before most our magic industry notice it. I only can say it is easy to understand but not easy to operate. They need to take more than 100 times of performing experience or few years of pratice. There are so many menthods right now in the change masks market and from different mentors. Because some saw it or learn it from non-professional mentor, so they were always got risk during show time. I did meet one of the performer who ask from my advice before half an hour on show time, because he was my good friend's friend, and also I didn't want him dead on stage, finally told him a important tip he never knew before, and he had success. The reason I mention these not to show-off. Just a advise to anyone who want to learn this skill.

I did invent some new and much more effective methods and versions not knowing by 99% of Chinese masks performers. It's one of the great art from China (I'm not from China but am Chinese)

Maybe it's not suitable for somebody... like I can't be Raven-expert skill to control card on table.

TS
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Juliana Chen - Art of Mask Changing (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL