We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Decisions by Mozique and Alakazam (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Yes it was Stephen Mercent. He performed 'Smoke' with Stephen Fry.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11906 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2016, otreboR wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2016, Sean Giles wrote:
Once you've bought it, it's not too difficult to make up your own using the principle. Theres a video on YouTube where Derren Brown performs his original precursor to this trick. I think he performed it with Stephen Fry.

Yes it's this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs2_qU6pZfQ

This is what made me buy it years ago but appears it is not the same exactly. The wording was pretty small for Decisions..also two cards verses one.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11554 Posts

Profile of John C
Has anyone performed this like derren. I mean, what difference do the cards make. One says yes, one says no. You could easily pull off Darren's routine with decisions.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11906 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I did not want to perform it exactly like Derren (only one of him) but it is easy to dupe it. That being said, he is pretty smooth and with two cards, I did not see anything he did fishy. I still did not like the gimmick. It is too small for my individual taste.
Uncle Joe
View Profile
Regular user
Japan
181 Posts

Profile of Uncle Joe
Quote:
Once you've bought it, it's not too difficult to make up your own using the principle. Theres a video on YouTube where Derren Brown performs his original precursor to this trick. I think he performed it with Stephen Fry.

Stephen Merchant. I believe.
kevinjanet
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of kevinjanet
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2016, DrewBstoss wrote:
For those concerned about the size of the writing I'd recommend a bit of arts and crafts. I only ever bought one set, took it apart, and adapted it to my business cards - to me they look much more natural.

Haven't used them in quite some time but perhaps it's time to dust them off! (Or not...now that they'll be a popular tool again...)

Best,

Drew

I have had some incredible success transforming regular card effects into stage size versions. I am considering buying these but would love to use them as a stage trick. Is there anyway of making a large version or does the gimmick have to be small in order to work correctly?
WooverM
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of WooverM
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2016, kevinjanet wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2016, DrewBstoss wrote:
For those concerned about the size of the writing I'd recommend a bit of arts and crafts. I only ever bought one set, took it apart, and adapted it to my business cards - to me they look much more natural.

Haven't used them in quite some time but perhaps it's time to dust them off! (Or not...now that they'll be a popular tool again...)

Best,

Drew

I have had some incredible success transforming regular card effects into stage size versions. I am considering buying these but would love to use them as a stage trick. Is there anyway of making a large version or does the gimmick have to be small in order to work correctly?

You can, once the principle is understood, adapt it to larger sizes.
Woover
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Elite user
SLC, Utah
470 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Hi Kevinjanet!

As Woover said it definitely CAN be adapted to larger cards though I imagine it'll take several prototypes before you find the right combination of size and material to ensure that it looks innocent and functions smoothly. The "move" is all but imperceptible with the original but it might take a little more justification and choreography with a stage-size version.

That said - go for it! I'd love to hear how the project turns out!

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Coming Soon: OMNI-TEST (Limited Release)
For pre-release details go to:
www.mindofandrews.com/omni-test

ARCHITECT OF THE MIND
For more information and to download a free preview visit the link below:
www.mindofandrews.com/colleagues

PENGUIN LIVE ACT: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11689
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2337 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
What's the difference between the yes/no version and the blank version.

Thanks

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
853 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
You customize the blank card yourself to fit your routine.

Left or Right.

Green or Red.

Etc.

Space might be a problem for long words, though.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
MazingMandy
View Profile
Special user
Has tolerated the trolls here for
677 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
I would guess one is pre-printed with Yes and No, the other is blank for you to write on whatever you like.
la-do
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of la-do
I have used the YES/NO cards for a few years already.
Having blank cards customized with your own choice is a great plus!
MinSting
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
168 Posts

Profile of MinSting
I guess the idea for the blank one is early for a language problem,
maybe you want write german words for yes/no, "ja/nee" or spanish "si/no", and so on,
but yes you can put whatever you want, colors and so on,
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7334 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2016, Uncle Joe wrote:
Quote:

Stephen Merchant. I believe.

I'm amazed that you didn't bother to read the rest of the thread. Smile
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
"True" or "False" might another way to use this if you buy the blank version.

With the printed version, I believe you get one "Yes" card, one "No" card, and one "Yes / No" card - the gimmicked one.

I have a version I bought five years ago and that's what I got plus two blank cards if you want everything to be the same thickness. Doesn't seem necessary, but nice of them to include the extra cards.

As someone stated earlier, these are made by Rob Bromley and they could not look any better. I really like this.

Robert
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11906 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Is there any improvements or is the same product repackaged?
123crampt
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of 123crampt
Can the blank set be used to write a similar "yes"/"no" version except with larger words that take up the entire card?
WooverM
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of WooverM
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2016, 123crampt wrote:
Can the blank set be used to write a similar "yes"/"no" version except with larger words that take up the entire card?

I wrote a full response but ended up not posting it to protect the secret. The simple answer to your question which does not give any hints is: No, you can not do that.
Woover
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I'm waiting on mine to arrive. I love which hand effects, and this looks like another winner. For some reason this 50/50 routine just seems so fair and amazing. It can be used as a lead in to other routines like a which hand or any other routine where the performer correctly identifies one object out of many. I'm planning on using it as a way to project my thought to a spectator then follow it with the spectator sending thoughts to me.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7334 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2016, Decomposed wrote:
Is there any improvements or is the same product repackaged?

Very good question. Titanas says so but I'd like to know for sure.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Decisions by Mozique and Alakazam (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL