The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » ESP cards for readings ? (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2423 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2016, ddyment wrote:
...I believe that it's important to get things right (because a surprising number of people know about this stuff, and you don't want to come across as uninformed). So be aware that Karl Zener spelled his name with a single "N", and pronounced it "ZEE-ner", not "ZEN-er".

I have this thought literally every time I hear an American (try to) pronounce Vincent Van Gogh (it’s not “van go”).

I hear everyone doing internet searches all the way over here lol
Anti-intellectualism has been nurtured by the false notion that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."-Isaac Asimov
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2016, ddyment wrote:
John C wrote:
Quote:
I'm glad we are not all the same.

Exactly. And this leads to one of the other great advantages of Zener cards for those who want to make a business of reading: they are not "done to death". You will find yourself much more in demand at places like psychic fairs, where everyone else is doing the same old thing.

This, of course, presupposes that they are used in such a way as to provide a depth of readings appropriate for professional work. The late (and much missed) reader John Wells once wrote that, "The readings possible with a given 'system' are only as effective as the capacity of that system to interact through its symbols with real life. Life is complex; the oracle must be also." The approach of ascribing simple basic meanings to each symbol (and some people do this completely arbitrarily, with no understanding of the anthropological value of symbols) may work for quickie readings, but will very soon run out of steam when applied to serious work.

I like Zener symbols for readings because they carry an interesting "scientific" cachet (which for me is a positive attribute, unlike that suggested by an earlier poster; for my audiences, I want to distance myself from the occult), embody an anthropologically rich set of symbology, and can be framed in the context of a divinatory system that is steeped in both complexity and historical accuracy (dating back thousands of years).

Reading what others have written about Zenermancy will yield some perspectives on what a properly worked-out system for Zener card readings can provide.

I ordered this book because Doug does great work, it comes highly recommended, and I like to study different forms of readings. In my area I'm the only one doing professional readings with the Lenormand (which I've done for a long while, I even teach the stuff). I also use the Tarot, Astragalomancy (click signature), Pai Gow Tiles (tic sheet in signature) and geez, I've even used tomatoes in a basket as a reading oracle (long story, not for sale Smile, so ESP cards seem perfectly fine to me.

I use ESP cards regularly in my psychic entertainment work anyway, I have an entire talk on ESP, so adding a proper reading system with these cards is something I'm looking forward to.

I don't necessarily want to distance myself from the occult, I think it's fun, and neither do I see anything wrong with a system carrying a "scientific" cachet. Besides, the truth is you can spin it however you want, what matters (specially to the sitter) is the message.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this, Doug.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » ESP cards for readings ? (19 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL