The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Living or dead alternatives? (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
544 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
I often read about the common opinion that the Living and Dead routines are in bad form, or too dark, etc. I've heard plenty of great (and poor) arguments.

I did a search for this question/topic but didn't find anything directly on this subject.

All of the reasons aside, what are some good alternatives? Dan Harlan did a nice one with favorite foods and biggest fears.

What are your favorite pairs?

And what should we be thinking about when deciding what two subjects to use? Why are we using them?

I always dwell on these things but tend to only come to a conclusion after hearing the opinions of people who perform on a regular basis, or have the experience. I'm just a 35 yr old freshman of mentalism. My passion for mentalism may be intense, but my opinions on the genre are still pretty green.
Harry the magic man
View Profile
Loyal user
Spokane, Washington
270 Posts

Profile of Harry the magic man
My personal favorite living or dead test is called Connected by Luke Jermay. When deciding what subject to use, keep in mind your audience. Sometimes you are in an appropriate situation to use the living and dead but often times you are not. Since the routine is about locating one amongst distractions, anything that can be divided in two groups. For children you could use chores and a fun activity, for the elderly you could probably do the same. Be creative. It is more about how well the audience relate to it that makes an interesting living or dead test (in my opinion).
Best wishes,
Harry
Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow
Life is very long- T.S. Eliot "The Hollow Men"
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3483 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
For halloween or similar, you can do living and dead but still keep it light by using a dead celebrity among living ones.

Some methods can also be done as a lie detector or mind reading theme, have a spectator think of say a place she's visited and then a number of places she hasn't, or the name of someone close among random made up names.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
544 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Both excellent posts/points! Thank you!

This is a subject I could think about all day long. I really hope this thread keeps growing, as I would love to hear from more of you out there on this. Deep thoughts or not, I am interested.

I actually hadn't thought about doing it for Halloween. That's definitely on deck for this year.
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Waters.
I like the Jermay version on his Jermay Mind DVD

I have a version called Terms of Endearment that has some layered methods that are fun (read: sneaky) to use, along with some standard work. It is multi-phased and has a premise regarding irrepressible cues that leak from powerful memories. See here: http://watersmindworks.com/releases/reflections
Follow the link...
www.experience-architecture.com
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
544 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
I keep hearing great things about that DVD but I just can't afford the price tag. I'll have to put that and your ebook on my wishlist until I can afford them.

Thanks for posting!
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
I think the original Live/Dead test is great! it is a bit darker that's for sure but that's not a bad thing...

When I don't feel like it, I just select a woman and ask her to think of the name of her first love (first person she kissed) and then I ask her to write down that name, along with other 7 names.

That's a good way to go about it too. I don't know who came out with this presentation, but I learned it from Ted Karmilovich.
I shall see you on the other side.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11889 Posts

Profile of John C
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
544 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Ever, was that mentioned on Ted's Penguin lecture by chance? I need to go back and watch it again either way. I think I may have missed some things the first time through.

John C, the link takes me to a page that says "Unable to display search results. This search ID belongs to another user."
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2016, Race Blakhart wrote:
Ever, was that mentioned on Ted's Penguin lecture by chance? I need to go back and watch it again either way. I think I may have missed some things the first time through.

Yes! I just checked and yes, Ted performs that routine at 32:00.

Best,
Ever
I shall see you on the other side.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
544 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Wow! Thanks for the exact time, too! That's awesome!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11889 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2016, Race Blakhart wrote:

John C, the link takes me to a page that says "Unable to display search results. This search ID belongs to another user."

Oh yea,that user must be me haha

I just typed in living and death tests and clicked "exact phrase"
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
544 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
I did the same thing and only found one thread, but it wasn't specific to this. If I missed something obvious, I'm sorry. I always try to avoid adding another thread to the proceedings if there's already one on the exact same subject.
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
916 Posts

Profile of DrRob
Hi Race,

I also use Luke Jermay's version and just to let you know it's also demonstrated on his Penguin lecture so cheaper than his minds dvd set.
Also available as an instant download.

Warmest regards
Dr Rob
Mister E.
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
185 Posts

Profile of Mister E.
Jan Forster has a neat version in his brand new set of German lecture notes. He sees it more as a Pseudo-Psychometrie effect, but I think it could go through as a LaD demonstration as well... blurred edges...

Anyways, the lecture notes are in German, but Jan will be doing a Penguin Lecture in early August. I have no idea what his plans are for that, but maybe he can be talked into demonstrating this effect...
Mister E.
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
185 Posts

Profile of Mister E.
Jan just confirmed, that he will demonstrate said routine (called "Destinations") in his Penguin Lecture. It has a great handling that I actually prefer to the Jermay handling which is great as well. And Jan's routine has a fantastic kicker...
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3797 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Thank you Smile, yes, I will do it there ... and you had already the pleasure (at least I hope so.. Smile ... ) seeing it once live in a theater done for "real people"... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
544 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Thanks for posting! I will check it out for sure! I very much look forward to the lecture! How very cool of you!!!!

And Mister E Thank you for facilitating!!!! And for the post!
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of VIEW
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2016, JanForster wrote:
Thank you Smile, yes, I will do it there ... and you had already the pleasure (at least I hope so.. Smile ... ) seeing it once live in a theater done for "real people"... Jan

Jan -when will your full book be released in English. Smile
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2016, VIEW wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2016, JanForster wrote:

Jan -when will your full book be released in English. Smile

Yes. ?
Follow the link...
www.experience-architecture.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Living or dead alternatives? (18 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL