The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » AOK by Lewis Lé Val (57 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
This method is really special in my opinion. No ct, you can use borrowed objects I found this to be a really strong method. I appreciate the guesses on here but its better and than the effects that are being mentioned here. All my opinion of course.
P3
practice practice perform.
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
Jan : wasn't mavens version using a DL as opposed to the usual sneak thief.
There is no holy grail!
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
(I'm obviously not Jan but...) but yes - Maven's "Desire" relies on a DL. I believe it was Becker that added the p**k commonly associated with "Sneak Thief".

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Please consider subscribing to my newsletter: http://eepurl.com/hmdnUX
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
952 Posts

Profile of DrRob
Can this be done without any help ? Smile

As I don't have any friends and need something solid to use as an opener.

Many thanks
Rob
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2016, johnreagan wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2016, johnreagan wrote:
My thoughts: I can think of one way to do this, easily, and I'll be a little sad if I spend $20 for confirmation.

I would have trouble doing it for more than 5 or so people, so I'm hoping the method is better than mine, and doesn't rely on having an extra-sharp brain to pull off. =)

Just got it. Watched it. Here's my first-impressions:

It's not what I thought of, which is good.

It's something I'm familiar with, which is good.

It's probably best done as he does it; with pre-cut cards / business cards of some kind... which I don't / won't carry, so I'll have to get creative with using this. If you do carry those sorts of things, this is definitely simple enough to learn, and principle that you are probably already familiar with.

If you already know, or can spend some time coming up with your own single-to-multi-person drawing/word dupe type effect, you may not want to spend $20 on this.

If you do *not* already have the know-how, then it's probably worth it.

The teaching is clear, if not slow. The extra info he tries to provide is a little bit mediocre, in my opinion, but I appreciate the effort of adding value.

So not as simple as nicking and handing out biz cards.
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
DrRob I am also friendless and you can use AOK without an assistant/friend.

BTW DrRob, I will be your friend Smile
P3
practice practice perform.
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
952 Posts

Profile of DrRob
I've sent you a pm Ted.

Not for friendship mind you

Lol
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
I've picked this up and gone through the content once.

Obviously I've not performed this but had the "necessaries" at hand and walked through the handling. This is QUITE good. It's one of those ideas that is so simple and uncluttered that I'm CERTAIN it will play extremely well - and to top it off it's a "blank canvas" kind of thing that you can make your own.

I'm happy with the money spent and I'm positive this will become part of my working set. It's no-tech, sure-fire, direct, extremely well thought out, and with the right presentation could absolutely play "real". I'm probably going to use it like a close-up 4DT.

But yes - as has been mentioned this would work best with biz cards (or, IDEALLY, with double-blank biz cards) so if that's not your style this isn't usable "right out of the box".

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks Drew for honest review.
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
952 Posts

Profile of DrRob
This is sounding similar to IDD by Chris Rawlins when certain requirements are mentioned!

Dr Rob
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
It's not AT ALL like IDD.

It's much more in line with "Desire" or "Sneak Thief".

The handling is pretty flexible and can be applied to playing cards, tarot cards, etc. I mentioned the double-blank biz cards only because it offers some nice advantages.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Drew

Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Interesting, but looks like nothing new under the sun, other than selling it to penqiun magicians who don't know anything about mentalism.

Ray
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Maybe it would help to have a brief synopsis of what the participants experience:

A few people in the group are each given a blank biz card (you can use one or several people - although 3 or 4 feels "right" to me) and you request that they make a simple drawing (again this is flexible - WHAT they put on the card depends entirely on you).

The cards a genuinely mixed by someone in the group and cleanly dealt out in a row on the table. You now get a sense of the author of one of the cards and begin to give a reading before successfully divining the thought/drawing. This is then repeated with remaining cards.

The handling appears extremely fair and open. If I saw this performed live I'd have a sense of the basic principle in play but it's used in a fresh way that I'm excited to implement.

Hope that I've not crossed any lines by outlining the basic performance of this. Nothing fits everybody - but this definitely is a worker in my eyes.

Best,

Drew

DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
I had no intention of being so active on this thread but I had some down time and thought I'd take a chance.

Ray - I'm FAR from new to mentalism but yes, this isn't revolutionary. It IS however a solid piece and one that I've never thought of to sequence together so I'm happy with it Smile

My favorite routines (both of my own creation and those shared from others in the community) are often ones that leverage existing techniques in innovative ways.

Best,

Drew

DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
952 Posts

Profile of DrRob
So could you put a slant on it like this when doing it one to one...
Get the spectator to draw 5 things one on each card 4 things they like and 1 they don't then you devine what the liked item drawn is?

Thanks
Dr Rob
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Dr. Rob - that's a bit difficult to answer because while you could perform it that way (with some slight tweaking to the handling) you should know that the routine is "progressive" in nature - meaning that you reveal the information one card at a time. So you could feasibly divine the information in that fashion and then, at the conclusion, identify which of the items they dislike.

Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
I recommend this release from Lewis. This is a simple approach to mindreading and reading using a classic method in Mentalism BUT in a way that routining-wise is a pure example of simplicity. I already poor a little bit of my own creativity and time to make me fit, so I know that I will use this variation routine in my own repertoire.

You just need a stack of blank/business cards and a marker. No more extra work on them, ungimmicked and unaltered materials. I wish to came up with this myself, but now knowing is the 2nd best thing.

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
pauljames
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of pauljames
Rob Zabrecky performs a trick similar to how this sounds... Is it the same trick? That can be performed the same way ie. Order of events
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I like what has been said about this effect.
Will have to order and see for myself.
Todd
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
I have it. It is pretty good. A method I've never used in mentalism but not opposed to in this situation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » AOK by Lewis Lé Val (57 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL