The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Structure/theory question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I'm looking at a routine involving three volunteers. One cuts a deck of cards and slides the selected card into his pocket without looking at it. Another makes a few choices with a face-up spread-out deck that narrows down to the last few cards; these are turned face down and one is selected. The third uses Pablo Amira's Version of the Proton deck (I do own this). The end result is that all three have selected the same card.

I was wondering to myself how The Proton Deck would look if during the dealing, the volunteer saw that all the cards were blank. (Yes, I know this would require adjustments: no, I haven't worked on that.)

When you get an idea like this, what's your process for deciding if that change enhances the routine and the show?

Ed
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11780 Posts

Profile of John C
Breather cr##p
Rs deck or photo memory deck
I don't know anything about polarity except there's two and usually opposites.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Thanks for chiming in, John.
I was more wanting to see what the experienced performers consider when you examine an idea to decide if it's even worth any further thinking.

Ed
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Oh - and all of this is hands off by me. The volunteers are doing all the work.

My thought was that it would be a "standard magic trick" - at least to the audience - to get three people to all get the same card. But if one suddenly saw that all her cards were blank, it might add a huge layer of improbability, and thus greater weight to some kind of influence.

Or it might just make everything so impossible that "it must be a trick with those cards", and I'd lose more credibility that I'd hope to gain.

So - when you get an idea like this, how do you work through whether it adds or subtracts?

Ed
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11780 Posts

Profile of John C
The first two things I mentioned could be hands off and there is an easy solution to the 3 like a cross cut.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
915 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
Is just keep it to 2 people getting the same card, preferably a couple.
Reader discretion is advised.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5748 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2016, Ed_Millis wrote:
Or it might just make everything so impossible that "it must be a trick with those cards", and I'd lose more credibility that I'd hope to gain.

So - when you get an idea like this, how do you work through whether it adds or subtracts?

What you are "adding" is confusion. In 99% of cases it will only deter from the desired outcome. It is magician thinking to want to bring blank cards into the mix. And frankly, doesn't this look way too much like a card trick already?

The way I challenge such thoughts to alter something is to consider "What is the effect I want to communicate?" In this case, three people find the same card in three different decks through three different processes. The more convoluted and absurd you make those processes, the more it SCREAMS magic trick.

Once you know the effect you wish to communicate, you will be on your way to finding if it even makes any sense to have three people pick the same card. Maybe that in and of itself makes the whole thing too card magic tricky. Every little detail which is out of the ordinary has the potential to undermine credibility. Those artistic steps must be weighed against any liability they may bring to the desired outcome.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Thanks for the thoughts, Tom.

Quote:
doesn't this look way too much like a card trick already?

I guess I'm having a hard time breaking things apart.

In normal life, if you and two friends all thought of the exact same thing at the exact same time, it would be "that was weird!!" But I guess at a show with a performer in charge, it's going to be "it's a trick!!"

Quote:
The way I challenge such thoughts to alter something is to consider "What is the effect I want to communicate?" In this case, three people find the same card in three different decks through three different processes. The more convoluted and absurd you make those processes, the more it SCREAMS magic trick.
Every little detail which is out of the ordinary has the potential to undermine credibility.

Okay - I guess that makes sense. The magician's thought is to layer all kinds of "impossibility" into a routine. But for a mentalist, the simpler the better??

Ed
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18581 Posts

Profile of IAIN
You might want to study some chan canasta for delivery, presentation and straight-forwardness (if you haven't already)...it won't be exactly as you described in your first post, but his card stuff was along the lines of synchronicity and influence...
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Thanks, Iain. I'll see what I can find.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Structure/theory question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL