The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Need the name of a drawing prediction effect 😬 (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
snorre89
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of snorre89
Hi guys

I am performing an effect I did a while ago this weekend, but I can't remember the name of it to find the explanation. I don't remember the method fully. The effect is a drawing prediction in three stages, where one spectator thinks of a place he likes to visit for example, and writes it down on a piece of paper, then another person thinks of a person they admire and writes it down on a piece of paper. You predict these places/persons/etc and finally a spectator makes a drawing on a small note and finally you copy it on a large drawing pad together with the spectator. I have bought the effect, but I can't seem to find it unfortunately. If anyone knows which effect this is, I would be very grateful for the name!

Thanks in advance

Ps I hope I didn't break the guidelines, I don't think I mentioned the method at all. Thanks Smile
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
It's funny how you registered 7 years ago but this is your first post at all?
...Maybe an introduction would be necessary? who are you? are you a mentalist? a magician? by the question you are asking it's apparent you are a beginner, at least in the mentalism field.
I shall see you on the other side.
snorre89
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of snorre89
Yes, an introduction could be helpful. I did a lot of card magic between 2007 and 2011, mostly taught by books and dvds and some live courses. Somehow the time to practice wasn't there (or I didn't make space for it) and I stopped searching for new effects. However I kept the fascination for card magic in particular but also watched a great deal of mentalism on TV shows, more as a regular entertainment consumer. Even though I am no mentalist and I do not claim so either, I have incorporated a bit of mystique in my card magic with success. I stumbled over the effect mentioned above two years ago, and had the perfect venue to perform it in a few weeks after. Then I am doing a magic show soon, and I think it would fit better at this very occasion than a card routine. I hope I clarified a bit with this post, please ask in case of further questions.

The reason why this is my first post is simply that I made an account many years ago, and I suddenly remembered this place being a good forum. I tried the search forum without success, which is why I wrote a post.
Alexxander
View Profile
Elite user
Frankfurt, Germany
410 Posts

Profile of Alexxander
So let me get this straight - you want to perform an effect in a few days... and you don't know the method for it?

Seriously, perform something you know in and out... you'll be doing yourself and all of us a favour.

Then, if you want to start performing mentalism - start by studying the classics... You can find Bob Cassidy's 39 steps for free on the internet to get you started.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11879 Posts

Profile of John C
So you performed this a while ago and want to perform it again but forgot how. Think about how you did it a while ago and forget about remembering the name of it.

Weak post my friend, very weak. Do some reflection and come back.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
What a bunch of sanctimonious judgmental ***holes. FFS. Way to help someone out.
DutchFrank
View Profile
Special user
Has a fence with
542 Posts

Profile of DutchFrank
For what it's worth: it sounds like a Bob Cassidy effect to me....
Forgive me any language mistakes.

I'm Dutch.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1292 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2016, jaizon wrote:
What a bunch of sanctimonious judgmental ***holes. FFS. Way to help someone out.

Sometimes a performer (and mentalism as well) is best served by not enabling someone to perform with inadequate preparation.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11879 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2016, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2016, jaizon wrote:
What a bunch of sanctimonious judgmental ***holes. FFS. Way to help someone out.

Sometimes a performer (and mentalism as well) is best served by not enabling someone to perform with inadequate preparation.



agreed. What this user asked did not in any way indicate he has any knowledge in the art and is just trying to find something he saw in a video. Sorry for being so sanctimonious. and sorry for being an *** .
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2016, John C wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2016, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2016, jaizon wrote:
What a bunch of sanctimonious judgmental ***holes. FFS. Way to help someone out.

Sometimes a performer (and mentalism as well) is best served by not enabling someone to perform with inadequate preparation.



agreed. What this user asked did not in any way indicate he has any knowledge in the art and is just trying to find something he saw in a video. Sorry for being so sanctimonious. and sorry for being an *** .



No worries. I'm sure you can't help it. Smile
snorre89
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of snorre89
Great with some engagement here, guys! And fast replies. Thanks to the (only) post that actually answered my question. I found just what I needed. It was indeed the Bob Cassidy effect I was thinking of. I'll try not to screw up, and even if I do, it's not the end of the world, is it?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11879 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2016, jaizon wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2016, John C wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2016, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2016, jaizon wrote:
What a bunch of sanctimonious judgmental ***holes. FFS. Way to help someone out.

Sometimes a performer (and mentalism as well) is best served by not enabling someone to perform with inadequate preparation.



agreed. What this user asked did not in any way indicate he has any knowledge in the art and is just trying to find something he saw in a video. Sorry for being so sanctimonious. and sorry for being an *** .



No worries. I'm sure you can't help it. Smile


hey, wait a minute..... I'm not sure if that was a compliment or not. If it was, thanks.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11879 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2016, snorre89 wrote:
Great with some engagement here, guys! And fast replies. Thanks to the (only) post that actually answered my question. I found just what I needed. It was indeed the Bob Cassidy effect I was thinking of. I'll try not to screw up, and even if I do, it's not the end of the world, is it?



Actually not the end of the world but you shouldn't go into it with that attitude.

I'd rather, and I'm sure Cassidy would rather hear...

Well, I'll practice it enough to give it the respect it deserves. If I find that the gig is close and I don't feel I'm ready I'll just do something else.

J
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
This particular time, I agree with John. Not that I ever disagree with him Smile
I shall see you on the other side.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
544 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Snorre89, think about it this way. Ignore the other reasons these guys are saying to practice the routine. Not because they aren't important reasons; they are.

But to put it simply, do it for yourself.

If you go out and try to pull something off that you aren't going to do justice on, how do you think that is going to make you look? You won't get any more gigs when people can tell you're not prepared. And trust me, they will be able to tell. I know this from personal experience, as I myself am still a freshman to the field of mentalism.

If you have any respect for yourself and your art, you will make sure you have it down pat long before performing it. Otherwise, it'll just look like a poor demonstration done by an amature. Again, I know from personal experience.

The routine you speak of is great fun to perform, when you are 100% confident in what you have to do. But if you aren't...watch out!
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Wow. Bob's 4DT is not something I would pick up for a quick turnaround (practice to performance in two weeks). Being familiar with cards, I could see maybe working up a dramatic "Do As I Do" or even Nyman's "Dead of Night."
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11879 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2016, E.E. wrote:
This particular time, I agree with John. Not that I ever disagree with him Smile



I know, I am very disagreeable. Thanks E. Smile

J
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11879 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2016, Race Blakhart wrote:
Snorre89, think about it this way. Ignore the other reasons these guys are saying to practice the routine. Not because they aren't important reasons; they are.

But to put it simply, do it for yourself.

If you go out and try to pull something off that you aren't going to do justice on, how do you think that is going to make you look? You won't get any more gigs when people can tell you're not prepared. And trust me, they will be able to tell. I know this from personal experience, as I myself am still a freshman to the field of mentalism.

If you have any respect for yourself and your art, you will make sure you have it down pat long before performing it. Otherwise, it'll just look like a poor demonstration done by an amature. Again, I know from personal experience.

The routine you speak of is great fun to perform, when you are 100% confident in what you have to do. But if you aren't...watch out!


Yes exactly. One needs to become familiar with the individual fundamental aspects of something like this. Only then will you be able to put them altogether successfully.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2016, John C wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2016, E.E. wrote:
This particular time, I agree with John. Not that I ever disagree with him Smile



I know, I am very disagreeable. Thanks E. Smile

J


I disagree.
I shall see you on the other side.
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1141 Posts

Profile of KiKi
Snorre, think of it as playing an instrument and you want to present a song, standing alone in front of an audience.
Would you perform the song if you didn´t give the time to practice until you can play it well?
In mentalism it´s not about the mechanics and how it´s done, it´s about presentation, logical disconnection and ... presentation!
Otherwise it´s not more than a logic puzzle!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Need the name of a drawing prediction effect 😬 (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL