The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Choices (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4792 Posts

Profile of landmark
Someone posted in another thread: "Canadians are unarmed Americans with health insurance."

If you had to choose ... ?
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Choose what?
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15919 Posts

Profile of tommy
I would choose health insurance because it’s compulsory.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4792 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2016, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Choose what?

The right to bear arms or the right to have publicly funded health insurance.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Well, I've seen public funded medical care here in Kuwait so with that said I think it would be cool to have bear arms and maul the doctor if he over charges me.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20194 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Do you mean the utopian version of each or the reality of each?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Either way...

What does one have to do with the other?

Might as well ask would you prefer a colonoscopy or to have your head shaved bald?

The answer isn't so simple when you break it down to the individual level. I'm very fond of my long hair and at my age I doubt it would grow back...

How about what Constitutional right would you give up for Quality Free Medical?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2016, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2016, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Choose what?

The right to bear arms or the right to have publicly funded health insurance.

These are mutually exclusive?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4792 Posts

Profile of landmark
No. But living in Canada or the US is.
I think.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4792 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
Do you mean the utopian version of each or the reality of each?

Good question. Let's go with utopian to make it more interesting.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4792 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:

Might as well ask would you prefer a colonoscopy or to have your head shaved bald?

I'll take the cue ball for $200, Alex.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2016, landmark wrote:
No. But living in Canada or the US is.
I think.

So is your question about having health care or guns, or is your question about living in the US or in Canada?

If the former, then your comment about living in Canada or the US being mutually exclusive, while accurate, is irrelevant.

If the latter, then why frame it as the former?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Canadians can bear arms (with some restrictions). We simply choose not to.

Guns are for sport, hunting, law enforcement,...

Standard practice is to store and lock guns and ammunition separately.

Publicly funded health care is preciously guarded. Politicians always want to fiddle with the details, but none would be foolish enough to suggest that the system be abandoned.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20194 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So do Canadians do that?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
So do Canadians do that?

Do what?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20194 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Choose not to.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:

Choose not to.

Unless they live in the wild, outside of a major urban center, most choose not to. Guns make perfect sense if you have to worry about bears and wolves and such while you are out walking your dog, or if you have livestock to protect. Generally, we don't feel we need them in the cities.

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/csj-s....../p2.html

In the previous literature review, the author indicated that about 25 percent of Canadian households own some sort of firearm (Gabor, 1994: 9). A recent Department of Justice Canada report indicated that, based on the combined findings of several studies, 26 percent may be the most reliable figure (See Block, 1998:3). In total, it is estimated that about 3 million civilians in Canada own firearms.

The percentage of households owning at least one firearm varies considerably across Canada (Angus Reid, 1991; Block, 1998). The results of a 1991 Angus Reid survey indicate that 67 percent of households in the Yukon and the Northwest Territories owned firearms, compared with 15 percent of Ontario households (Angus Reid, 1991: 7). More recently, the 1996 International Crime (Victim) Survey (ICVS), which did not include the two territories, found that 35.8 percent of households in the Atlantic provinces owned firearms, compared to the 32 percent reported by Angus Reid. Households in Ontario still had the lowest percentage of firearms at 14.2 percent (Block, 1998:7).

Overall, surveys suggest that more people in rural areas own firearms than in urban locations. For example, 37.3 percent of respondents from small towns own a firearm compared to 2.8 percent in communities with populations over one million. Residents of small towns are also more likely to own long guns than people living in large cities: 33.6 percent compared to 1.2 percent respectively (Block, 1998: 24).
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Personally, I know of two of my (Canadian) friends who own guns. I'm pretty sure the two are the only ones.

One has rifles etc. because he loves to hunt deer, elk, etc. The other has a handgun (which is almost always locked away, unless he is shooting on a range or whatever). I think he owns it because he has fond memories of shooting (nuisance) gophers with his dad back when he was a kid growing up in the country. Some sort of sentimental thing.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20194 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So it makes sense to worry about bears and wolves and such. They are after all predators and dangerous.

But imagine being hunted by a predator smarter and more dangerous and has a gun. Seems a gun might also make sense. Maybe if you didn't have livestock to protect from a very dangerous predator but family and other possessions. I guess your position makes perfect sense. Good point.

But I digress.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Choices (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL