The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Not What You Would Expect From An Airline - Part II (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
With the state of avionics technology today, this becomes more unbelievable and frightening each occurrence. Although still under investigation, this and other incidents may signify human beings will always be the weak link in any system.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/08/nts......ort.html

As the article states:
"Landings at wrong airports by commercial pilots, while unusual, are still more common than many passengers may realize or airlines would like to acknowledge.

An Associated Press search two years ago of government safety data and news reports since the early 1990s found at least 150 flights in which U.S. commercial passenger and cargo planes have either landed at the wrong airport or started to land and realized their mistake in time.

Of the 35 documented wrong landings, at least 23 occurred at airports with shorter runways, creating potential safety issues"
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Let's see...150 flights since the early 1990s, that's about 1 every 2 months..about 80,000 flights per day., that's about 2.4 million per month, so 1 in 5 million or so flights heads for the wrong airport, less than 30% of THOSE actually land, and a fraction of THOSE have shorter runways, creating "potential" safety issues.

Can't say I'm really worried.

I'm too lazy to do the math, but it's probably something like if you flew once a week for 1,000 years, you'd have more than a 1 in 1,000 chance of being affected by this.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Only someone like me can appreciate flight control; as a kid I used call the boats in at the lakes “Come in number two your time is up!”.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2016, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Let's see...150 flights since the early 1990s, that's about 1 every 2 months..about 80,000 flights per day., that's about 2.4 million per month, so 1 in 5 million or so flights heads for the wrong airport, less than 30% of THOSE actually land, and a fraction of THOSE have shorter runways, creating "potential" safety issues.

Can't say I'm really worried.

I'm too lazy to do the math, but it's probably something like if you flew once a week for 1,000 years, you'd have more than a 1 in 1,000 chance of being affected by this.

As someone who flew every week for 20+ years both internationally and domestically, I guess I am more sensitive to airline safety and expect better. With the redundancies built into hardwzre, software, human factors, etc. This shouldn't happen. Don't forget commercial aircraft can be shot down for certain intrusions. Don't say it can't happen because life is full of unexpected surprises lately that we couldn't imagine happening a few years ago.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Oh I'm with you here. It can happen, and it shouldn't. I'm just adding a little context...when the data go back to the early 90s, you have to keep in mind, there have been maybe a quarter of a billion flights since then.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2016, tommy wrote:
Only someone like me can appreciate flight control; as a kid I used call the boats in at the lakes “Come in number two your time is up!”.

Hello, fellow old person.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Not What You Would Expect From An Airline - Part II (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL