The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Any reports on MINDS3? (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DrewBstoss
View Profile
Elite user
SLC, Utah
485 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Does anyone who attended MINDS3 have some experiences that they'd like to share (for the benefit of all of us who, unfortunately, couldn't)?

I, for one, live vicariously through others and their stories about the wonderful time they have at these meet ups!

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Now Available: OMNI-TEST (Limited Release)
www.mindofandrews.com/omni-test

ARCHITECT OF THE MIND
For more information and to download a free preview visit the link below:
www.mindofandrews.com/colleagues

PENGUIN LIVE ACT: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11689
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
390 Posts

Profile of Daniel Meadows
The first rule of Minds Club is that you can't remember what happened at Minds Club...

I can only tease with:

Mark's 'Muppets', Alex's 'Folie', Paul's 'Networking', The Jack's 'Envelope', Annie's 'Hostile Takeover', Michael's 'System', Dee's 'Rush', Harry's 'Oath', Luke's 'Stamina'.

Short answer for my 3rd Minds is:
Great people, great lecturers, great atmosphere, great social, great experience. And a massive thumbs up for the efforts and generosity of the inimitable Michael Murray.

I might try for a more detailed review later in the week. Or I might not...

There will be a Minds4 next year. Book off the whole of July just to be sure you don't miss it!
Cerberus Wallet, Equilibrium, Counterfeit, Deadly Marked Deck, Infamous, Instinct
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1654 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
I wrote this for Reddit so it's a bit general, but heres mine:

Saturday

Saturday started with Mark Chandaue, a newbie lecturer with decades of performance under his belt. Mark (a little bleary eyed from sampling the Geordie nightlife) walked through a bunch of effects from his repertoire, including several from his lush new book Harpacrown which he released at MINDS.

After much needed coffee, Alex Macaleer lectured - again, largely an unknown outside select circles Alex has toured with one of the uk's largest touring magic shows Champions of Magic, and has appeared on TV and radio throughout the uk. He's a great performer with a really nice style and some very devious ideas. I really enjoyed his set.

Lunch, then a lecture from Paul Brook on performing at trade shows. I know Paul quite well and I wasn't sure how the audience would take to his very business-first lecture, but they were so engaged and curious his question session was overflowing with queries and he struggled to get away. Fascinating stuff and I think a few people in the room were pondering attacking the market PB was describing.

The final Saturday session was Jeorge Garcia, and Argentinian mentalist of some repute and, again, so clearly a consumate performer. He had a really great manner and he talked in depth about aspects of performance that I think perhaps a lot of the group hadn't considered.

That was officially the end of Saturday, but Michael had arranged a private room at a nearby bar, drinks dicounts, tables at a restaurant in town for the group and a room in a hip bar / gallery for a mentalism open mic night. These were all excellent.

Sunday

Sunday started with Dee Christopher, a goth guy who is quite well known over here, who shared some really interesting material including some of his metal bending stuff which I am totally nicking.

Next up was Harry Lucas, an Austrian mentalist who talked through one effect but described his approach to developing his stage show and preparing for performance. It was interesting to see some of the physical stagecraft of mentalism begin discussed from someone who knows it so intimately.

After lunch was Luke Jermay, who was, as ever, Luke Jermay. He shared something he is releasing later this year which was brilliant but still sub rosa, as well as talking through some aspects of his own stage show which was, again, brilliant.

And that was that, we all went and sessioned in a bar, and from what I can tell everyone got their beer goggles on and partied until the wee hours.

It was great, MINDS is one of the best conventions out there and there are a few reasons. One is that it is so focussed. It's a small convention with maybe 60ish attendees, all of who are mentalists. This means that lecturers can skip the small talk and get to the meat. Another thing is that the attendees list is pretty *** good, so the questions at the end of an explanation are coming from seasoned performers, creators and lecturers too. It's a good room, and because of the caliber of attendee, everyone brings their A game.

There's so much attention to detail too. When you arrive you get a little attendees pack with a (quality) branded notebook and pen, an enamel pin badge and a specially made little glossy MINDS book created just for the event, full of effects and ideas from the lecturers. Michael's work in creating the perfect event is prodigious and obvious and way beyond what anyone expects, it's always great. It's not cheap but people had come from Saudi Arabia, the US, from all around Europe, and even Australia, just for the event. It's nuts but I understand why.

I had a great time and as soon as Michael has a date I'll be pencilling MINDS4 into my diary for 2017.
-+: https://www.mythologycodex.com :+-

A collection of incredible jaw-dropping mentalism, now available.
timlic
View Profile
Regular user
Birmingham
119 Posts

Profile of timlic
I can only echo what both Phill & Daniel have said.

If you've ever had a second thought about whether to be part of one of the friendliest, knowledgeable and relaxed conferences in the UK; I suggest you don't for MINDS4!

Great performers, fantastic lectures and the hard work Michael puts into this intimate weekend are worth your time and money.
qkeli
View Profile
Special user
paris,france
638 Posts

Profile of qkeli
Hi,

I was there friday and saturday only but that was far enough to convince me that I'll come back 😀
I'll give you my feedback in 5 letters or sentences :

Magical atmosphere
Incredible people
Newcastle
Devious methods
Snip, Snap....is the name......was fooled badly 😭

Thanks to Michael Murray and All the people that were there!
Michael, You succeed in gathering the most friendly people I've met in the magic community, the best convention I've ever been and will be there for sure next year...
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Elite user
SLC, Utah
485 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Thanks so much Daniel, Phill, timlic, and qkeli for sharing your experiences and thoughts! It sounds just as I anticipated - like an excellent time!

One of these years I really just need to bit the bullet and arrange a flight to the UK to attend.

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Now Available: OMNI-TEST (Limited Release)
www.mindofandrews.com/omni-test

ARCHITECT OF THE MIND
For more information and to download a free preview visit the link below:
www.mindofandrews.com/colleagues

PENGUIN LIVE ACT: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11689
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1607 Posts

Profile of celebrity
Thanks for the positive feedback, plans are already being made for the next one and we would love to have you join the fun Drew!!!!!

Was great to meet qkeli too!

Best Wishes Michael
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3093 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
I was unable to attend as I was working on cruise ships I bet you had great time guys!
I had wonderful time lecturing last year and the company was great!
Hope to be there next year!
The Jack
View Profile
V.I.P.
228 Posts

Profile of The Jack
Hi guys thanks for the review of my work. I truly hope my ideas would help develop new ideas! And a lot of thanks to Michael for being such a great host!! It s been an honor and a pleasure to be there!!!
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3565 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
It was as always a wonderful weekend. I missed the first lecture but the others were awesome, I certainly wouldn't have wanted to follow any of those guys, all were absolutely fantastic. Minds is a pretty unique convention, it's more a gathering of really good friends with a fantastic atmosphere, great lectures, fantastic organisation, good grub and all orchestrated by one of the nicest, funniest and cleverest guys on the planet. If I have a single criticism it's that despite the feature packed weekend, the extra events Michael lays on in the evenings and the oh so late nights, it's all over too quickly and we are all saying goodbye before we are really ready too. Oh and the other criticisms is it's only once a year.

This is the one convention every year that I really hate to miss.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
Hutch
View Profile
New user
England
11 Posts

Profile of Hutch
Every lecture has something useful to offer. Highlights for me included The Jack's ability to hold an audience in the palm of his hand..and Jermay being Jermay; electricity in the room. But also, some really intelligent work from the other guys. A privilege to see Alex M talk/walk us through routines step by step, instead of the usual performance-explanation.
Hutch
haresign
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of haresign
The Jack - envelope - never seen anyone turn so many professional mentalists into a crowd of lay people the way he did. 6 star performance.
The Jack
View Profile
V.I.P.
228 Posts

Profile of The Jack
Thank you very much!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Any reports on MINDS3? (12 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL