The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What´s your style? (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2662 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
I've never tried to be anything I'm not. So my persona, manner of speaking, personality, etc. is just me. I'm simply just ME.

Being born in East London (therefore a true Cockney) I probably come across to most people as a 'wide boy'; or a second hand car salesman. I suppose the best way of comparing that for you guys in the States, is that it is something similar to a confident, fast-talking, likeable New Yorker?

I do have a lot of quick banter; and one of my skills is being pretty fast with one-liners and quick answers. I learnt this by being a Stand-up Comic for many years - it's a fantastic grounding that I'd recommend ANY Magician to try. The skills you'll learn (patter, handling difficult people, working a large crowd, etc.) will pay you back much more than the latest one-trick download.

I don't go in for putting on even a slightly posh English accent - even over the years when I've worked for many posh audiences (Polo Clubs, British Airways, etc.). If you try and sound like something that you aren't, you may fool people with your magic......BUT you sure as hell won't fool them if you are being fake.

Basically, don't try and patronise people by trying to be something that you're not.

Just my two bobs worth anyway. We're all different - so don't shoot me for it if you disagree.
Barry Allen

Joe Riding (1932 - 2005). "I still miss you mate".
https://magicweek.co.uk/magic_articles/article_joe_riding.htm
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1056 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Arkomanis described well my approach to magic. Symbolism. Almost philosophical in the background.

Thanks to everybody. I missed the thread in 2016. It’s a very interesting reading.
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
271 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Whimsical is my style.

Even I don’t know if I’ve screwed it’s up until I reveal the last card.
"I didn't want him to feel that he could drive the lane with impunity."

- David Robinson
JonHackl
View Profile
New user
Western Australia
56 Posts

Profile of JonHackl
Thanks for more contributions. Like Merc Man, my style is an extension of my real personality. But I don't have anything against folks who can act out a whole new personality. I admire that ability!

I realised in a recent (casual) performance opportunity that embracing this light-and-playful style in my magic made me very confident and sort of bullet-proof against a couple "I think I know how you did that" remarks. I just shrugged and smiled. It's similar to how I used to handle someone trying to provoke me when I was a bouncer. If I wasn't going to lose sleep over the kind of abuse I took in that line of work, I'm sure not going to lose any sleep over some guy thinking he's figured out a card trick!

(For the record, I always try to rule out easy explanations for tricks. It turned out the guy in question was suspicious of the overhand shuffle on principle; he didn't actually see anything suspicious)
"Magic is the only kind of entertainment where 90% of the audience is trying to ruin it for themselves." - Pete Holmes
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3432 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I just play a poeticized version of myself.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1056 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
The Pop post could make everybody think. A lot.
bluejay17!
View Profile
Regular user
DC
119 Posts

Profile of bluejay17!
I try to appear as unskilled as possible, manhandling the deck, dropping cards, and generally making a bumbling fool of myself.
Betrayal Mix
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Betrayal Mix
Though I had never seen the term displayed before, I'm delighted to find that my approach has a name - it's the "Perverse Magic" mentioned above - what an excellent way of thinking about it.

I'm not curious to read more into this Perverse Magic !!!
JonHackl
View Profile
New user
Western Australia
56 Posts

Profile of JonHackl
It's a lot of fun. You'll find lots of great adaptations of tricks and presentational ideas in that thread Mr. Deutsch mentioned. Here it is:

https://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtop......e03d44d0

It's also been adapted into a book, as I understand it.
"Magic is the only kind of entertainment where 90% of the audience is trying to ruin it for themselves." - Pete Holmes
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I am not really concerned with me and my style. I will just do what it takes to : 1. make people laugh at funny outrageous jokes. and 2. see people bamboozled, not merely puzzled or tricked by magic.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1056 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Countrymaven, so you consider yourself first an humorist, and second a magician ?
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Rach.: I Think you are missing the point. Both points are really the point of performing for me. I do whatever it takes in screening tricks, preparing, testing, humor, inventing, to get both of these things to happen in the audience. I and my style are not what matter. I am willing to change and work and test and retest, until these things happen. I am not assuming a superior attitude. My performance is focused on audience response and enjoyment, not on me promoting me and my style. When my audience responds to all this, that is when my style is what I want it to be. I am not trying to be evasive or different. But this has certainly characterized my style. Because I Have to change it for every performance, according to the audience, to achieve the two goals stated above.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2662 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2021, Rachmaninov wrote:
Countrymaven, so you consider yourself first an humorist, and second a magician ?

If more magicians worked upon being ENTERTAINERS, the Art of Magic may be held in greater esteem.

The tricks are secondary.

They always have been.

As Al Goshman said - "YOU are the Magic'.
Barry Allen

Joe Riding (1932 - 2005). "I still miss you mate".
https://magicweek.co.uk/magic_articles/article_joe_riding.htm
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3432 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2021, Merc Man wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2021, Rachmaninov wrote:

If more magicians worked upon being ENTERTAINERS, the Art of Magic may be held in greater esteem.

The tricks are secondary.

They always have been.

As Al Goshman said - "YOU are the Magic'.

Even the best actors depend on their scripts. The magic effects are not secondary. They are equally important--is the engine of a jet "more important" than the wings?
If more magicians worked upon their ROUTINES, the Art of Magic may be held in greater esteem.

A great performer can make the 21 card trick entertaining, but it still won't make it a great card trick.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1056 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
I agree with Pop on this one. Magic is not secondary. Especially because the choices and all the decisions you make as an artist shape your magic and yourself. IMHO, we just can’t separate the two. The « you are the magic » should be questioned and discussed at length.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1056 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Thanks Countrymaven for making you post way clearer. But for me, making outrageous jokes is being an humorist, not a magician. Granted, some people manage to handle very well the two. I’m not one of those at all !
Betrayal Mix
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Betrayal Mix
Given we are agreeing on the importance of developing and polishing a routine [after establishing a persona, because then the routine will feel like a natural fit for that persona], I suppose the next step is working out the best way to develop routines.

Is Henning Nelms' "Magic and Showmanship" a worthwhile starting point [after finishing reading Hay's "The Amateur Magician's Handbook"] still? It was next on my list to read, but I don't want to end up a top-hat-and-tails style performer once the amazing Nelms* weaves his spell over me .. Smile

*Fun Nelms fact: Under a pen name he once wrote a murder mystery novel that is considered one of the best 'locked room' mysteries of last century - but good luck tracking down a copy, it's that good...
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3432 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I am not a fan of Henning Nelms book.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1056 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
You will learn things with the Nelms book, but it’s not sufficient, far from it. I would rather read the theory chapter in the second tome of card college.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3432 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I also think his understanding of magic and theater is very wrong, and can lead people in wrong directions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What´s your style? (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL