The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » F*rc* pads - warped magic (37 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1573 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
I'll clicked on the link and it states that they're sold out?
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11777 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2016, innercirclewannabe wrote:
I'll clicked on the link and it states that they're sold out?


They ran out of duct tape.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3428 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
What does duct tape mean to you? Cause duct tape is silver and shiny where I come from. Not black... Gaffer tape maybe, but not duct tape.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11777 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2016, Last Laugh wrote:
What does duct tape mean to you? Cause duct tape is silver and shiny where I come from. Not black... Gaffer tape maybe, but not duct tape.


I come from Florida. Duct tape is all colors. Black, red, green,....

But, the point was that duct tape is notorious for being used as a cheap alternative for holding things together. And I was making a joke apparently "non-humorus" about the warped pads. Hahaha let's laugh later.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Quote:
The SvenPads are not a commodity product - pop eyed popper decks are.


Yes they are. Per the definition available from investopedia:
"A commodity is a basic good used in commerce that is interchangeable with other commodities of the same type. Commodities are most often used as inputs in the production of other goods or services. The quality of a given commodity may differ slightly, but it is essentially uniform across producers."

Don't full yourself Brett. Your product quality may be better than others on the market but that doesn't change the fact your Svengali pad is just a Svengali pad and is easily exchanged for another made by another. Svengali pads are like pizza - You can customize them to taste and the quality will differ from the producers along with the price. So the question becomes do I want Pizza Hut, little Caesars, dominos, or papa Johns?
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2149 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2016, WDavis wrote:
Quote:
The SvenPads are not a commodity product - pop eyed popper decks are.


Don't full yourself Brett. Your product quality may be better than others on the market but that doesn't change the fact your Svengali pad is just a Svengali pad and is easily exchanged for another made by another. Svengali pads are like pizza - You can customize them to taste and the quality will differ from the producers along with the price. So the question becomes do I want Pizza Hut, little Caesars, dominos, or papa Johns?


I will beg to differ on one point. The triple force pad which Brett offers is a new and unique version of the Svengali pad and as such is not open to to the public domain in the same way the generic Svengali pad may be.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3526 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I would say that a ready made three colour pad is unique, however using three Svengali force banks in a single pad isn't a new idea. Looch does precisely that in one of his penguin lectures. As I saw him lecture this in Nottingham around 2 years ago I'm going to guess it is in his first penguin lecture.

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
Twisted Mentat
View Profile
Regular user
Giedi Prime
147 Posts

Profile of Twisted Mentat
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2016, Christopher Taylor wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2016, WDavis wrote:
Quote:
The SvenPads are not a commodity product - pop eyed popper decks are.


Don't full yourself Brett. Your product quality may be better than others on the market but that doesn't change the fact your Svengali pad is just a Svengali pad and is easily exchanged for another made by another. Svengali pads are like pizza - You can customize them to taste and the quality will differ from the producers along with the price. So the question becomes do I want Pizza Hut, little Caesars, dominos, or papa Johns?


I will beg to differ on one point. The three colour 3-way force pad which Brett offers is a new and unique version of the Svengali pad and as such is not open to to the public domain in the same way the generic Svengali pad may be.

Christopher

What are the good times have come. To create a new product or concept, you just need to take the old principle, and paint it in different colors.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3428 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2016, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
I would say that a ready made three colour pad is unique, however using three Svengali force banks in a single pad isn't a new idea. Looch does precisely that in one of his penguin lectures. As I saw him lecture this in Nottingham around 2 years ago I'm going to guess it is in his first penguin lecture.

Mark

It's the second one, I believe.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3330 Posts

Profile of Looch
[quote]On Jul 20, 2016, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
I would say that a ready made three colour pad is unique, however using three Svengali force banks in a single pad isn't a new idea. Looch does precisely that in one of his penguin lectures. As I saw him lecture this in Nottingham around 2 years ago I'm going to guess it is in his first penguin lecture.

The second lecture it was in, its a routine called 'Places'

I was asked if it could be mentioned a while back for a three way forcing post-it pads, but the post-its were tri-colour (i.e one colour per bank) which almost telegraphs the method really, so I preferred to keep it a single stack of oversized index cards that were all one colour.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3428 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Yes, I agree Looch. The 3 colors seems fishy to me. I think a stack of index cards is much more natural than a pad. Cassidy's bulldog deck for instance is much more deceptive IMO than a Svengali pad since you can show all the cards separately and you aren't stuck flipping through in only one direction.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2016, Christopher Taylor wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2016, WDavis wrote:
Quote:
The SvenPads are not a commodity product - pop eyed popper decks are.


Don't full yourself Brett. Your product quality may be better than others on the market but that doesn't change the fact your Svengali pad is just a Svengali pad and is easily exchanged for another made by another. Svengali pads are like pizza - You can customize them to taste and the quality will differ from the producers along with the price. So the question becomes do I want Pizza Hut, little Caesars, dominos, or papa Johns?


I will beg to differ on one point. The three colour 3-way force pad which Brett offers is a new and unique version of the Svengali pad and as such is not open to to the public domain in the same way the generic Svengali pad may be.

Christopher


Christopher,

I can appreciate your argument, but the fact still lays it's a Svengali pad. To continue with my pizza analogy, the three color banks is akin to a topping type, think Hawaiian or a barbecue chicken pizza. On a separate note, the legality of exclusivity of color banks and public domain of the Svengali pad concept is counter productive. For example, if Brett and you wish to claim trade dress and your exclusivity based on that, and others are harming your business product by making similar products then any similar color bank pad is harming your business gaffes or not. Larger entities have been making color banked pads long before any magical company here, so your idea isn't the color bank but rather applying existing color sequences (by the way have you or Brett verified the sequence used isn't trademarked and therefore violating the larger entities?)

In the end Chris, we will disagree I know, but I hold to these facts:
1. MultiColor banked pad - isn't original to you. Existed long before and some color sequences are trademarked.
2. Svengali pad - isn't original considered public domain
3. Applying multicolored banks in a force application existed in the magical literature prior to the commercializations of the Brett's pad. As noted above by last laugh and others

So three counts of nothing new, so back to my original point of commodity and Brett's only true differentiating factor is quality when compared to other pads.

Please note I'm not attacking the pad, just pointing out the reality of the device with respect to originality and exclusivity as well as defining a commodity as Brett stated his product wasn't, yet everything about it shows that it is.
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1238 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Walter sometimes success has the hability to blind people without them knowing... it uses their own real psychic energy at it's best Smile
Ypnoze
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of Ypnoze
Thanks IAIN for taking the time to do a detailed review and showing the pros and cons of each version, I really don't understand the attacks you received, when I read your review I was more interested in the SvenPad because of the quality of paper as you mentioned the others were slightly thiner, so I was surprised to read that you were accused to have an agenda, you did nothing wrong and I thank you again for taking the time to do a comparison between to legitimate products of different quality

I'll order both and make some tests

To add on what LastLaugh said I too believe that the three colors makes it certainly easier for the performer but kind shows the method, unless you specify that each color is for a specific category, but I'd rather have three mini pads
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1238 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Got it today, love them!!! Look so innocent as they should Smile
Wasnt expecting too much but glad I ordered.
Small size, grey card stock on the back and good to carry inside jacket, let's see how they handle through time.

JackMagic THANKS for the 50 off tip / I should have bought more!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18574 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I still don't understand the 'agenda' accusation! Doesn't look like I'll be getting an apology either...go figure...

Anyway, been using the warped magic ones, been behaving fine for me...
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1287 Posts

Profile of Robb
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2016, Last Laugh wrote:
Yes, I agree Looch. The 3 colors seems fishy to me. I think a stack of index cards is much more natural than a pad. Cassidy's bulldog deck for instance is much more deceptive IMO than a Svengali pad since you can show all the cards separately and you aren't stuck flipping through in only one direction.


I kind of agree... I think the index cards with bulldog clip are very good and as you said, you can go through them when they are loose without issue. It is not a big deal to have paper laser cut these days. I have my buddies down at our local MakerSpace do it for me... Well under 1/8" tolerance. I haven't bought either SvenPads or the other product.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2016, IAIN wrote:
I still don't understand the 'agenda' accusation! Doesn't look like I'll be getting an apology either...go figure...



You do realize this is the Magic Café? It is a cyberland full of mystery
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » F*rc* pads - warped magic (37 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL